Sesame Street Old School DVD's: Not For Kids

Brooklyn

Reaction score
I thought the Sesame Street: Old School DVDs that are currently out was worth a post here. The below disclaimer is heard at the beginning of the dvd:

"Welcome to Sesame Street Nostalgia. I am Bob, your host, and I want you to know that these early Sesame Street episodes are intended for grown-ups and may not meet the needs of today's pre-school child."

The main concerns, which will be interesting to chat here about, are the lessons are different -- things that were acceptable in the early 70s are not anymore. Cookie Monster smoking a pipe (for Monsterpiece Theater), Big Bird and other characters look different, some of the human actors have changed, according to TVSquad.com:

A spokesman for Sesame Workshop says that the reason for the disclaimer is that many of the things the kids do in the old show, like playing in a dump, wouldn't fly with today's oh-so-careful world. And she also said that kids might be confused by all of the changes that have happened in the show in the past 30-40 years, such as characters looking different.

What do you think? :stick_out_tongue: :frown:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well personally I thought that disclaimer was completely unfounded and unnecessarily put down the classic episodes. There seems to be a general conspiracy in today's society to erase everything that came before and claim it's for the best.

Unfortunately I would imagine there are still kids in the country who are forced to play in dumps. They don't have the luxury of worrying about being PC and safe. Are they no longer fit to be represented?

A lot of sources complain that SS no longer targets toward the inner city, and I think there is some truth to that. I noticed this interesting portion of Muppet Wiki's description of the Divorce episode:

"In fact, in 1990, executive producer Dulcy Singer initially vetoed it. Singer was concerned with tackling more complex social matters, but also wanted to primarily emphasize issues affecting lower socio-economic groups, returning to the show's original target audience of inner city and financially disadvantaged families. She opposed the idea, claiming that "Divorce is a middle-class thing," instead preferring a story illustrating a single-parent family, with the child born out of wedlock with an absent father."

I don't mind that they tried doing a divorce episode, but I agree with Dulcy Singer, and I wish they had tackled the child born out of wedlock/absent father issue in the inner city.

And kids that age do not go around obsessing about how "dated" things look. And if they are confused, they ask their parents. Kids should be encouraged to ask questions, not have confusing things hidden from them like they can't handle it. Adults don't always seem to have a realistic view of the way children actually think.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The main concerns, which will be interesting to chat here about, are the lessons are different -- things that were acceptable in the early 70s are not anymore. Cookie Monster smoking a pipe (for Monsterpiece Theater), Big Bird and other characters look different
Well, the Monsterpiece theater segments popped up in the 80's. And he only had a pipe (which did not have smoke coming out from it) in a couple of them.

Well personally I thought that disclaimer was completely unfounded and unnecessarily put down the classic episodes. There seems to be a general conspiracy in today's society to erase everything that came before and claim it's for the best.

Unfortunately I would imagine there are still kids in the country who are forced to play in dumps; are they no longer fit to be represented?

And kids that age do not go around obsessing about how "dated" things look. And if they are confused, they ask their parents. Kids should be encouraged to ask questions, not have confusing things hidden from them like they can't take it. Adults don't always seem to have a realistic view of the way children actually think.
Couldn't agree more, but I think the message applies to parents that never watched SS themselves, who are just using it to entertain a child who is too young to watch TV anyway. I think most, if not all, of the footage can meet with a preschoolers needs. Some things may need explaination, sure. But if the kid is old enough to understand that these are older episodes, they'll work nicely. But then again, there would be a bunch of kids asking where Elmo is.

The fact is, this DVD set wasn't meant for Grown ups, so much as to finally cater to the older fans of the show who have been tape trading and Youtubing the older episodes to wain nostalgic. I think that the disclaimer should have been, "this set was intended for classic SS fans. Current SS fans may not be interrested." or something to that extent. Plus I give them credit for saying:

Welcome to Sesame Street Nostalgia. I am Bob, your host, and I want you to know that these early Sesame Street episodes are intended for grown-ups and may not meet the needs of today's pre-school child
note.... "may not meet the needs" not "definately won't meet the needs." As I said, current Elmo-centric kids may not enjoy it, but that's not speaking for everyone. As we all recall, current episodes without Elmo's World met with bad reception with most of the audience. But that's because they were expecting it. If a child is willing to approach it with an open mind, it could be even more entertaining than the current show.

But, between you and me? I think SW did that as a disclaimer so they won't have a review on Amazon that says:

"I recently purchased Sesame Old School for my one year old. He did not want to watch it, and would rather explore the world around him. So I'll give this a bad review, and not put my parenting into question" Like so many first time parents write.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
note.... "may not meet the needs" not "definately won't meet the needs." As I said, current Elmo-centric kids may not enjoy it
Personally I think that's semantics, they might as well have said "definitely won't." However they chose to say it, it was a put down. And maybe you're right and maybe they meant Elmo fans wouldn't like it. Well then, they should say that, and not claim it's all about educational needs. It's about popularity.

And a lot of kids today don't enjoy learning about English and History in school, but we don't tell them "Oh ok, if you don't want to, we won't force you." We try to help them understand why it is so important. Adults need to teach, not just let the kids have free rein on everything and hope for the best.

For years experts have complained that Sesame Street put entertaiment over education. And even SS writers admitted that they put entertainment before education when creating skits. The idea being that entertainment would lead to education. For my part, I understood what Sesame Street was trying to do, and never had a problem with it. Until very recently.

Just because a show has been around for years and has had a good reputation of education and entertainment, does not mean they are always correct. In this case, I feel they are doing more damage than good.

But, between you and me? I think SW did that as a disclaimer so they won't have a review on Amazon that says:

"I recently purchased Sesame Old School for my one year old. He did not want to watch it, and would rather explore the world around him. So I'll give this a bad review, and not put my parenting into question" Like so many first time parents write.
Lol, you know I'm glad that person wrote that review. Sesame Street is great, but your kid needs to explore his/her world, not the TV screen. :smile:

Brooklyn

Reaction score
Not only did Cookie Monster have a pipe, he ATE it. Even if he wasn't smoking it, in the parents/media's eye -- it is the same thing. Also, Cookie has changed his eating habits a bit. He craves veggies more, and doesn't have an overeating problem anymore. Life is perfect.

An old USA TODAY story:
Cookie Monster: 'Me eat less cookies'
By Chelsea J. Carter, AP National Writer
NEW YORK — Something must be wrong in the land of Muppets. First PBS announced that Sesame Street would kick off its 35th season this week with a multiyear story arc about healthy habits. No problem there; childhood obesity rates are soaring. Then I learned of changes that turned my Sesame Street world upside-down.

My beloved blue, furry monster — who sang "C is for cookie, that's good enough for me" — is now advocating eating healthy. There's even a new song —A Cookie Is a Sometimes Food, where Cookie Monster learns there are "anytime" foods and "sometimes" foods.

"Sacrilege!" I cried. "That's akin to Oscar the Grouch being nice and clean." (Co-workers gave me strange looks. But I didn't care.)

Being a journalist, I did the only thing I knew how to do. I investigated why Sesame Street gave Cookie Monster a health makeover.

The answer would lead me into a world where television producers worked with health experts and politicians, a place where Cookie Monster does care about his health, and by association, the health of children.

The first place I headed was the Internet. On the Sesame Street Web site, little had changed. There was Cookie Monster, in all his blue furriness. He was holding a plate of cookies. He was chomping on a cookie. He still looked the same. But as we all know, looks can be deceiving.

So I searched the site for news on Cookie Monster and up popped a press release about the show's Healthy Habits for Life emphasis. Buried near the bottom was a one-sentence mention about Cookie Monster eating fewer cookies.

But what did that mean? Scarfing one plateful instead of two?

I picked up the telephone. "What's going on with Cookie Monster?" I asked the Sesame Street press office. "Why are you doing this?"
They sent me to Dr. Rosemarie T. Truglio, the show's vice president of research and education.

She said the show changes every year, focusing not just on teaching numbers and letters but also emotional and physical health. With the rise in childhood obesity, Truglio said Sesame Street is concentrating on the need to teach children about healthy foods and physical activity.
This season, each episode opens with a "health tip" about nutrition, exercise, hygiene and rest.

Truglio said Sesame Street also will introduce new characters, such as talking eggplants and carrots, and offer parodies, such as "American Fruit Stand." Even guest stars will address healthy activities, such as Alicia Keys talking and singing about the importance of physical activity.
Even politicians have gotten into the act, filming public service announcements with Sesame Street residents. In one taping, Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist taught Elmo to exercise — jumping up and down. In another, Sen. Hillary Clinton and the small red monster discuss the various textures and tastes of foods.

But what about their position on Cookiegate?

"Even Cookie Monster is learning to control his cookie cravings," Frist told me by e-mail. "His sage advice opened our eyes to the simple joys of a tasty cookie and now reminds us that moderation is the key to healthy living."
Cookie Monster was not available for comment. (I'm hoping he hasn't gone too Hollywood.)

"We are not putting him on a diet," said his spokesman, Truglio. "And we would never take the position of no sugar. We're teaching him moderation."
The furry one also plans to try different kinds of cookies (read: healthier cookies) rather than his just staple, chocolate chip.

But will he still scarf his food? Yes, plus the occasional object, Truglio said.
But isn't that unhealthy? Her reply: He's still Cookie Monster.
Cookie Monster appears to be happy with the new "sometimes food" song, because at the end he warbles: "Is sometimes now?"
"Yes," he's told.

So there it is. Cookie Monster still gobbles cookies, he's just a healthier version of his old self. His eyes are still googly, his fur is still scruffy and he's still messy.

Even Sesame Street recognizes that we all need guilty pleasures.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Lol, that's a cute article. Actually though, Cookie Monster preached about healthy eating even in the 1970s. So that's actually not a new idea. But I find modern media sometimes does not do their homework. Once again, there's this thing about ignore the past and pretending it never happened.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
What I think is interesting is that they continue to show old episodes of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood (may Fred Rogers RIP), at least they do on my PBS affiliate but not old SS. Just a thought.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Lol, you know I'm glad that person wrote that review. Sesame Street is great, but your kid needs to explore his/her world, not the TV screen. :smile:
You do realise that was sarcasm. That's why children's Tv is trash nowadays. They just want something to dump their kids down in front of.

But other than that, the only thing I really can say is that younger children who love Elmo are pretty much the only reason I can think of why this wasn't a set intended for younger consumption. But as always, we have to say, while the current series has good intnetions, I don't think we'll see good results.

I think that they worded it in a very pompous and confusing way, the ststement, anyway. It may not meet educational needs could have been replaced by "we don't know if modern kids will like watching an older show." Though I still think it was intended to be given to more casual fans and first time parents/viewers.

Brooklyn

Reaction score
Since this has been getting some interesting feedback. Let's talk about what parts of the show no longer exist in the modern SS. Some obvious ones:

* No Mr. Hooper
* Snuffleupagus only seen by Big Bird
* Gordon...with hair.

Drtooth

Reaction score
What I think is interesting is that they continue to show old episodes of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood (may Fred Rogers RIP), at least they do on my PBS affiliate but not old SS. Just a thought.
really? mine hasn't ran Mr. Rogers since a year after he died. And even then, it took his death for them to rerun it on a regular basis.

Anyway, I feel that someone at SW has some bad information or something reguarding kids and classic SS. I could get into the mindlessness of the contradictory reports and research. it really is a too many cooks spoiling the broth situation. The educators and child psychologists that once helped to shape the series are now helping to misshapen it.

But I do say a lot of older clips wouldn't phase kids one bit. Heck, they use (and still use) an Ernie and Bert segment from the 70's (the one where Bert tries to teach Bernice to play checkers). I mean, a lot of stuff from the mid to late 70's can be reused. I mean, nothing too dated (cough cough Disco), but certain Cookie, Grover, and Ernie/Bert segments sure can fit the bill. And that goes the same for 80's stuff.

As I said, only thing that keeps younger SS viewers from enjoying classic SS is the lack of Elmo, and the pointless structure (that they're thankfully moving away from now) they Frankenstined together.