Copyrighting puppets

CBPuppets

Reaction score
Never actually thought of that....now I know what Jim Henson had to go through back in his time.

wes

Reaction score
Thank God for this Thread!

I was just ask to make Design and make puppets for a Indoor entertainment company. sort of like Dave and Busters meets Chuckee Cheese. They want a toucan family 4 bird puppets and they want to keep the rights.

Is this normal?

I'm thinking $10 an Hour in a 40 hour week I think i can make 1 bird puppet a week, thats $ 400 for time and i'm thinking $50 in materials. Also once I read this thread I noticed that RavageFrackle mentioned a designing fee, was think $200.

So.....

$400 time
+ $50 materials
------
$450
x 4 Puppets
------
$1800
+$200 desinging fee
------
$2000 Total

would this be to absorbatant, is this a resenable offer from my side of the table?

I was also thinking that if he keps the rights and he turns my idea in to a doll and it makes money, cant i ask for a cut of that, or is that a pie in the sky pipe dream on my part.

thanks every one!

Onath

Reaction score
I think I would ask for more $ and hour. $10 an hour wage is kinda rough that doesn't buy much I would go to at least $12 an hour and have you factored in money in case of errors or changes.

Luke

Reaction score
I was also thinking that if he keps the rights and he turns my idea in to a doll and it makes money, cant i ask for a cut of that, or is that a pie in the sky pipe dream on my part.
I don't have much of a clue on prices, the puppet builders here have the knowledge on that - but yes, you need some kind of agreement on the licensing rights for the designs as he could put the image on t-shirts, badges, make dolls etc. If you are worried about pricing yourself above his budget you could always offer two options, either a percentage of any licensing profits over time or a one off upfront fee for him to own those rights.

wes

Reaction score
I think I would ask for more $ and hour. $10 an hour wage is kinda rough that doesn't buy much I would go to at least $12 an hour and have you factored in money in case of errors or changes.
Thanks, and I will.

no. $20 at LEAST.....trust me
WoW thats what i'm talking about! I think that the more I do, the more i'll feel comfortable with asking $20 an Hour. but I am getting a hang of this pricing business.

I don't have much of a clue on prices, the puppet builders here have the knowledge on that - but yes, you need some kind of agreement on the licensing rights for the designs as he could put the image on t-shirts, badges, make dolls etc. If you are worried about pricing yourself above his budget you could always offer two options, either a percentage of any licensing profits over time or a one off upfront fee for him to own those rights.
We we had a meeting and I'm building the puppets, and designing the kids area witch the puppets will be apart of and I'll get a cut of any merchindice that will be sold form that area.

I feel pretty good about the set up and this is a major step for me and the direction i would like to go!

Heres the Site:ZOO CITY It opens Mid January, If your close stop by. The Kids part will be named Toucan Land!

Thanks for all the support and help I love our puppetry forum!:smile: