Your 2008 Merchandise Predictions

minor muppetz

Reaction score
For fun, let's see what we can predict for 2008, Muppet merchandise-wise. I will ask a few questions about what we think will happen next year, and at the end of next year, we can come back to this thread and see who was right, though tis is not a contest.

Here are some questions:

1. How many Henson-related DVDs will be released next year (multi-disc sets count as one; DVD releases of programs that don't neccessarily star any Henson creations but include guest appearances by at least one Henson creation do count, as long as it's the real character and not some sort of parody, like on Family Guy or Robot Chicken))?

2. Will The Muppet Show: Season 3 be released next year, and if it will, then will all of the episodes be presented uncut (logo endings do not count)?

3. Will there be any Muppet DVDs besides a possible release of TMS: Season 3 (guest appearances, such as Kermit's brief appearance in Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium, do not count)? If so, then how many will be released (this question applies to DVD releases of productions starring the Muppets from The Muppet Show, not Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock, Bear in the Big Blue House, or any other Henson creation)?

3. Will there be any new Jimmy Dean Show DVDs released next year?

4. Will Muppet Babies finally get an official DVD release next year, whetehr in season boxed sets or single-disc releases (single-episode discs that come with toys don't count)?

5. How many Sesame Street DVDs will be released next year?

6. Will there be an Old School Volume 3 next year?

7. Will there be any new Play With Me Sesame DVD releases in the United States next year?

8. Will there be any TV Fun Packs released next year?

9. Will there be any Sesame Beginnings DVD releases?

10. Will there be any additional Sesame Street boxed sets, besides Old School and TV Fun Pack releases?

11. Will the planned "Early Works of Jim Henson" DVD be released next year?

12. Will there be any Henson-related action figures?

13. Will there be any DVD releases of Puppet Up!

14. How many Henson-related CDs will be released next year?

Well, good luck at your predictions.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Here are my predictions:

1. How many Henson-related DVDs will be released next year (multi-disc sets count as one; DVD releases of programs that don't neccessarily star any Henson creations but include guest appearances by at least one Henson creation do count, as long as it's the real character and not some sort of parody, like on Family Guy or Robot Chicken))? 15.

2. Will The Muppet Show: Season 3 be released next year, and if it will, then will all of the episodes be presented uncut (logo endings do not count)? Yes, it will be released, and yes, it will be uncut.

3. Will there be any Muppet DVDs besides a possible release of TMS: Season 3 (guest appearances, such as Kermit's brief appearance in Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium, do not count)? If so, then how many will be released (this question applies to DVD releases of productions starring the Muppets from The Muppet Show, not Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock, Bear in the Big Blue House, or any other Henson creation)? No.

3. Will there be any new Jimmy Dean Show DVDs released next year? Yes. There will be two next year.

4. Will Muppet Babies finally get an official DVD release next year, whetehr in season boxed sets or single-disc releases (single-episode discs that come with toys don't count)? No.

5. How many Sesame Street DVDs will be released next year? 9. An Old School release, a rerelease of a past production, a release of the upcomming Elmo holiday special, an Elmo's World release (it's already been officially announced that at least one will be released next year), 2 Play with me Sesame releases, a Sesame Beginnings release, a release of one or more street stories, and a new release featuring a mix of old and new material,

6. Will there be an Old School Volume 3 next year? Yes.

7. Will there be any new Play With Me Sesame DVD releases in the United States next year? Yes.

8. Will there be any TV Fun Packs released next year? No.

9. Will there be any Sesame Beginnings DVD releases? Yes.

10. Will there be any additional Sesame Street boxed sets, besides Old School and TV Fun Pack releases? No.

11. Will the planned "Early Works of Jim Henson" DVD be released next year? Yes.

12. Will there be any Henson-related action figures? Yes.

13. Will there be any DVD releases of Puppet Up! Yes.

14. How many Henson-related CDs will be released next year? 4. Three Sesame Street releases and one Muppet release.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
My Predictions:

1. I predict several releases for Muppet merchandise next year. I also predict that Disney will release something new with them finally either via the web or advert-bumpers.

2. I predict The Muppet Show: Season 3 will be released next year, but likely with cuts. I predict either Fozzie or Gonzo will be the cover.

3. I predict that one Muppet production might make it to Blu-Ray Disc by the end of next year.

3. Got me on Jimmy Dean Show DVDs?

4. I think Disney will finally get their toe wet with Muppet Babies in a small DVD single disc release.

5. Got me on Sesame Street DVDs?

6. I think Old School Volume 3 willl come out next year. I also think SW might rethink their silly warning label that caused so much grief.

7. Got me with Play With Me Sesame?

8. Got me with TV Fun Packs?

9. Probably a Sesame Beginnings DVD release?

10. There are always new Sesame Street collectors sets in CD and DVD it seems.

11. I predict the "Early Works of Jim Henson" DVD will likely be released next year with advertisements before it for the new Dark Crystal and Fraggle Rock movies. That is, if the Henson Company stays on the ball with it.

12. There will be more Labyrinth and Dark Crystal action figures next year. The DC will be cost prohibitive for most fans, but Hoggle and more Jareth figures will prove a small profit is to be made in Henson properties if geared to the right market. Disney will make more cheap posed Muppet figure ripoffs of the Palisades figures for their parks. The Muppet Star Wars figures will probably be released next fall.

13. Probably no DVD releases of Puppet Up!

14. I predict a Henson CD release or two in the form of Disney Muppet stuff, maybe some more Fraggle ones and definitely more Sesame music!

Well, good luck at your predictions.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Hmm, I never thought about asking if any Henson-related material will be released on HD or Blue-Ray discs next year.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I never thought about asking if any Henson-related material will be released on HD or Blue-Ray discs next year.
Evidently Dark Crystal and Labyrinth are rumored to be in the works in the next year (or so). I just mention BluRay because early indicators are showing that HDDVD is going to dramatically underperform in holiday sales and BluRay has the support of Disney, Sony, Fox and Spielberg. Also since Sony/Columbia TriStar is an investor, Blu's the way they'd go. It is also rumored that the underwelming reissues of Crystal and Labyrinth may have been because the higher def version in coming. :zany:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, it's just been announced that 2 Play with Me Sesame DVDs will be released next march.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, so far there have been three Sesame Street DVD releases, and three more announced (the upcoming Sesame Street: Dinosaurs DVD, a DVD starring Abby Cadabby, and Elmo's Christmas Countdown). And two of the ones released are Play with me Sesame relases, to which I predicted there'd be two of. I hope I am wrong in that prediction, however.

I predicted that there'd only be three Sesame Street CDs this year, but there's been four (or is that two released and two announced?).

And I was right about there being Henson-related action figures, at least being announced. It's hard to tell if the Fragle Rock figures should be considerded action figures, but I think the upcoming Electric Mayhem figures will be action figures. And I think there's been a Jareth and Hoggle action figure two-pack.

So far there haven't been any Sesame Beginnings DVDs, which I predicted there would be, but there also haven't been any announcements for more TV Fun Packs, which I predicted won't happen. I wonder how successful those releases were, anyway.

Hmmm, Frogboy, it seems that you were right in predicting that the Muppets would have something on the web.