The Brand New Ask Jim Lewis Thread

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Jim, Jim Lewis, here's TogetherAgain here with another quick little question for ya. I was wondering if it was sheer coincidence that Rizzo the Rat's first YouTube video (featuring ROWLF! YAAAAAAAY! I love that dog) was posted on theprawncracker's eighteenth birthday, or if that was planned as a gift from the Muppets to one of their biggest fans and financial supporters. (Seriously. His bedroom is like a freaking Muppet Museum. I'm surprised he hasn't invested in any glass display cases and "Do Not Touch" signs. ...Although, come to think of it... That would imply that HE couldn't touch, either, so... nevermind about the display cases and the signs.)

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Jim, hi, Ryan again. I don't have a question this time, but I just have to tell you how moved I was by Jim Henson's Doodle Dreams. I got a copy for my birthday today and I just sat down and read through it... Wow. Jim, sir, my friend... it was such an enjoyable and uplifting and just amazing read. So many profound and fantastic sentiments that matched along with Jim's beautiful artwork gorgeously. I was just SO impressed. It's a shame this hasn't gotten more publicity because it really, really deserves it. You really should be a motivational speaker and just read from this and Before You Leap. I don't know how else to describe my profound love for this piece of writing other than that. It truly is just perfect and I recommend it to anyone who loves Henson's work, needs an uplifting read, or just wants to smile a whole, whole lot.

If you're wondering, my favorite quote from the book: "Kids think anything is possible. Be a kid again." It just... fits so perfectly. I turn 18 today, you see--legally an adult now... and really this just made me so happy. Thanks for that, Jim.

I wish you and your family all the best! Thank you for everything, sir! And I'll be back with more questions as soon as these get answered. MWoO ha ha ha!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Ryan since this is the week of your birthday would you like to send this batch?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Good I can't wait and all the jokeing i did in your birthday thread aside Happy B day!

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Questions for Jim Lewis – October 25, 2008

From dwayne1115:
In the last batch of questions you answered you said that you considered Rowlf as one of the core Muppets. Is Rowlf going to make a comeback, like it seems Dr. Teeth is trying to do?

A comeback? I think so. After Jim’s passing, all of his characters (except Kermit) took a hiatus. Gradually, they’ve been coming back. At this stage, it’s just a matter of opportunity. Given the right place and scene, Rowlf and Teeth are center stage. That said, I still don’t think the prognosis is very good for Fleet Scribbler. But hey, I’ve been wrong before.

From AnimatedC9000:
Dear Jim,

Thank you for answering my previous questions. I think I may need to re-word my last one, though. You see, I'm a child of two people who practically grew up with the Muppets (Sesame Street coming out when my father was nine, and the Muppet Show first airing when my mother was in kindergarten). The thing is, they didn't have much time to watch them. So here I am, a girl in the 21st century, watching characters as old (or older [Kermit]/younger [Gonzo, Piggy, Fozzie, and others]) as my parents, and they make me laugh. The problem is that they mostly think that it's a phase I'll grow out of it. (Plus, I'm trying to get my two little brothers into the Muppets as well.) Any advice?

Ahh! You want me to answer the question you actually asked! Who knew! Sorry for my lack of cognitive abilities on the last try at this. I started thinking about my own family, and soon my mind swooned and I began sputtering out aphorisms. Here’s another try:
What should you do? Ignore them. Yup. Enjoy every bit of it yourself, and let them see you enjoying it. Then, maybe, by your example, they will become curious and come to realize what a hilarious, revelatory experience you are having with the Muppets. If not, then you can simply strike a pose of superior humor quotient. (It worked for me. In my case, however, it was my love of the Three Stooges that stymied my family.) Taste in comedy is something you can’t teach. People laugh and enjoy what they will; and sometimes it makes no sense why. So, my advice is to become a professional critic and force your opinions on others…..
By the way, if this wasn’t the question you asked, then please try again. Maybe I’ll get it the third try.

From Colbynfriends:
Dear Jim, do you yourself do any impressions of the Muppets?

No. God forbid. I can, for reasons I can’t understand, affect Big Bird’s high reedy pitch for a few lines…enough so that Elmo once said “woo, that’s spooky”. However, I don’t attempt any impressions. What I do is affect all of the voices when I’m writing. If I’m writing dialogue, I will say it out loud in the close-as-I-can-get-it voice of the character, more for pace and rhythm than for pitch. This usually happens in my privacy of my office, where only my family can be embarrassed. Sometimes it happens in public, where I am usually served with a restraining order.

From theprawancracker:
Hey Jim! BIG question! We just saw the launch of Fozzie and Rizzo's YouTube/MySpace accounts yesterday--AMAZING! Fozzie's video was AWESOME! So good to see Rowlf again! But what's really making me squeal, is Rizzo, Sam, Fozzie, Statler and Waldorf, and Chef posting comments on the various Muppets' YouTube pages and MySpace pages. I gotta know, who writes these comments? You? Steve/Eric/Dave? Do they have access to these pages too? It's SO awesome! I also got a friend request e-mail from Rizzo that was just amazing. Can you tell us who wrote that? THIS IS SO AWESOME! VIVA LA FUZZY RENAISSANCE!

I can’t tell you. I can’t remember. It might have been me. In the words of the late great John Banner (i.e. Sgt. Schultz of “Hogan’s Hero”): “I know nothing!”

From AnimatedC9000:
Dear Jim,

Was Zoot asleep backstage during the "This is Me" number in the new Studio DC?

Of course. I was, too.

May I say that I love the viral Muppets campaign! It's amazing! Can't wait to see who else joins!

Thanks, on behalf of all the people who actually did the hard work.

Oh, and if you see Fozzie anywhere, tell him that I said "thank you" for becoming my first Muppet friend on YouTube.

Will do. I gotta get me some friends, too.

From TogetherAgain:
Jim, Jim Lewis, here's TogetherAgain here with another quick little question for ya. I was wondering if it was sheer coincidence that Rizzo the Rat's first YouTube video (featuring ROWLF! YAAAAAAAY! I love that dog) was posted on theprawncracker's eighteenth birthday, or if that was planned as a gift from the Muppets to one of their biggest fans and financial supporters. (Seriously. His bedroom is like a freaking Muppet Museum. I'm surprised he hasn't invested in any glass display cases and "Do Not Touch" signs. ...Although, come to think of it... That would imply that HE couldn't touch, either, so... never mind about the display cases and the signs.)

Coincidence? Are you kidding? These things have been in the planning stages since theprawncracker’s 16th birthday. We at the Muppets have Ryan under surveillance. Wouldn’t you?

From theprawncracker:
Jim, hi, Ryan again. I don't have a question this time, but I just have to tell you how moved I was by Jim Henson's Doodle Dreams. I got a copy for my birthday today and I just sat down and read through it... Wow. Jim, sir, my friend... it was such an enjoyable and uplifting and just amazing read. So many profound and fantastic sentiments that matched along with Jim's beautiful artwork gorgeously. I was just SO impressed. It's a shame this hasn't gotten more publicity because it really, really deserves it. You really should be a motivational speaker and just read from this and Before You Leap. I don't know how else to describe my profound love for this piece of writing other than that. It truly is just perfect and I recommend it to anyone who loves Henson's work, needs an uplifting read, or just wants to smile a whole, whole lot.

If you're wondering, my favorite quote from the book: "Kids think anything is possible. Be a kid again." It just... fits so perfectly. I turn 18 today, you see--legally an adult now... and really this just made me so happy. Thanks for that, Jim.

I wish you and your family all the best! Thank you for everything, sir! And I'll be back with more questions as soon as these get answered. MWoO ha ha ha!

Thank you for the kind words about the book. It’s one of those titles that, I hope, will sit near the register and catch ones attention….then as you read it and look at those marvelous drawings, you decide you need it. It as an honor to work on that. I read over everything the archivist could gather, and I remembered what little time I had working with Jim. And you have the result. It is his spirit that makes it so uplifting. And yes, I like that quote, too.
And oh yes, Happy 18th. We’re watching you.

AnimatedC9000

Reaction score
*giggles* Oh, Jim! XP *tries to type between giggles*

Dear Jim,

Thank you for answering my questions. (Yes, you did get that one right.) Now, I've read somewhere that your favorite Muppet movie is "The Muppet Movie" (am I correct?), and I know that your favorite Muppet is Fozzie Bear (from various questions asked). Now for the question: What are your favorite Fozzie moments (from the movies, the TV shows, or any moments you can think of)?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I wonder what he means when he says "We are watching you"? Better yet who is this "WE"?