What Miss Piggy should MR design?

Kermieuk

Reaction score
I also have to admit that Miss Piggy is my fav, and I want a poser of her more than any of the others.

I have heard a few people say that the pig doesnt sell well, but in the 90's, Miss Piggy was on a seperate license, Company's making Muppets stuff had to pay extra for the license to make Miss Piggy stuff.

Also, some companys make a whole range based on Miss Piggy, the nurse figurines for example, and I have heard of another new range of Miss Piggy sat in a high heal shoe figurine range, so I think she is still poular on her own right!

I agree that the early design Piggy designs are better than some of the newer ones.

Chris

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
This one's for you Blinky...

That's the spirit KermiUK!

Oh and Blinkyfish - check wikipedia Miss Piggy - perhaps your financials aren't all there:

Frank Oz has said that while Fozzie Bear is a two-dimensional character, and Animal has no dimensions; Miss Piggy is one of the few Muppets to be fully realized in three dimensions. She spawned a huge fad during the late '70's and early '80's, and eclipsed Kermit and the other Muppets in popularity, selling far more merchandise and writing a book that (unlike any of Kermit's books) wound up on top of the New York Times Bestseller List.

muppetguy

Reaction score
I'm soooo happy

I'm happy that others are defending Miss Piggy. She is part of the main character group and she NEEDS to be made. I also agree with the comment that this isn't going to be a toy on a shelf in any toy store that might cost 6.99. True Muppet fans will purchase her. I love her and as I said before, CAN NOT WAIT TO GET MY OWN PIGGY POSER! Thank you both, uppitymuppity and Kermieuk for all the info you have given us!:smile: :mad:

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
During the late 70's and early 80's the Pig had her own glamour calendars, perfume, books and loads of stuff that didn't include the other Muppet characters. It has only been more recently, maybe due to her revamped image, that she has become less popular on the merchandising front. But then, if you have seen some of the newer Piggy plushes, you might understand why.

Bear Man

Reaction score
I find it kinda funny that people are asserting that Miss Piggy merchandise is extremely popular by using figures from the 80's and 90's when much more recent merchandising data, straight from the horse's mouth so to speak (eg Palisades) has shown that she is not as popular as the others. I agree that she should be made, and frankly think that she should come after Fozzie since I don't know that any other character would be popular enough to carry the line forward (fan reaction on this board, as Travis has pointed out, is not a good indication of how well a product would do in the general marketplace) - so if it's going to end, it may as well be with the Pig. But seriously, using public reaction from the 70's and 80's as a basis for how well something would sell 30 - 40 years later? I feel like I'm in a George Bush policy meeting...

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
Oh can it Bear - Palisades made 3 craptastick versions of piggy. You can't go on their figures - it's a 5 dollar toy for the mass market. This is a different market is what we are saying.:mad:

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
I guess the only way we will find out is if and when Piggy is made. It is true her popularity has waned in recent years but a full size Piggy replica might be the great seller we didn't expect. I must admit tho, I am glad Fozzie is coming out first. I would hate Piggy to ruin the line at all but in front of Fozzie would be a tragedy!

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
She's the sleeper hit in the lineup. Why? Every gay guy, drag queen, lesbian, & etc. will plunk down their credit cards if she looks right. They're not so into cheap plastic toys but a replica... Different story. Just my 2 cents.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Also, I'd do Rowlf before Floyd and Link. Wasn't Rowlf the first true star of the muppets? I mean, he & Kermit are the embodiment of Jim Henson in my opinion.:sympathy::smile:
I completely agree with you here. Besides Kermit, Rowlf is Jim's other main star character (excluding Ernie, who is part of a different universe).

:stick_out_tongue:

Bear Man

Reaction score
Oh can it Bear - Palisades made 3 craptastick versions of piggy. You can't go on their figures - it's a 5 dollar toy for the mass market. This is a different market is what we are saying.:mad:
She's the sleeper hit in the lineup. Why? Every gay guy, drag queen, lesbian, & etc. will plunk down their credit cards if she looks right. They're not so into cheap plastic toys but a replica... Different story. Just my 2 cents.

I used Palisades as an example, not as the only company who have had trouble with Piggy, but certainly as one who did market research and can therefore speak to it in general, especially since some of that information came direct from the Henson marketing people who have seen Piggy do none-too-well at retail in the past few years.

As for your second quote, love the generalisation. As a gay guy who knows many drag queens and lesbians (lesbians? Piggy? Where does that association come from?), I think maybe you should do a little more research yourself.

I'm more than happy to let you have your two cents, but I get grumpy when told to "can it". With your great generalisations you should know how b*tchy us gays can get. :wink: