The Muppet Show Season 3 arrives May 20, 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

chequepoint

Reaction score
I may have mentioned it before, but this is the most likely process that is going on.

The rights to sync a song to video are essentially an open negotiation. And in the end, a publisher has the rights to deny that sync license for any reason.

To simplify large projects like these, the fairest way to handle it is to enter into what is called a "Favored Nations" agreement. Disney goes to each publisher and says "We want to use your song, we're working out a rate, it will be around this much, but every song on the release will get paid exactly the same. No one song is worth more than the others"

MOST people are fine with this, and it really is the fairest way to do it. The problem comes when you get down to the end, and you've got one or two people saying "my song is worth more than what you're offering, you have to pay us more" which means you're faced with either paying everyone more, or dropping the song.

The reason some companies may be holding out for more money, is that Disney probably can't offer as much as they are used to getting..

If a movie has 3 songs, and costs $20... there is a lot more money to go around than a release like this which has probably 60+ songs and costs $35.

Everybody has to compromise to see this thing out properly. Season 1, Disney proved that they were will to drop songs of people who didn't play fair. Season 2 went off well. There are only so many major publishing companies, so odds are Season 3 negotiations went off pretty easily. The only holdup would be any songs that belonged to a company that weren't on Season 1 or 2.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It doesn't so much seem like Muscial Copyrights this time. It's basically copyright problems with Bonus features.

I wonder if they plan to substitue anything last minute, and if they plan on releasing it the announced date or not.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Everybody has to compromise to see this thing out properly. Season 1, Disney proved that they were will to drop songs of people who didn't play fair. Season 2 went off well. There are only so many major publishing companies, so odds are Season 3 negotiations went off pretty easily. The only holdup would be any songs that belonged to a company that weren't on Season 1 or 2.
There's another phenomena that I've encountered when trying to license music... and that is dealing with estates of composers. For some reason, heirs tend to overvalue their composer relative's work. And they get this idea stuck in their heads and become unwilling to negotiatate. (By the way, they become so difficult to deal with that the original publishers have long since dropped the song from their catalogue). They take the attitude that they would rather make NO money for an obscure song that is unlikely to be wanted by anyone else than to take a reasonable amount so the song can be included. I don't understand this attitude, but I've run into it multiple times.

:stick_out_tongue:

LeanneRivett

Reaction score
UK Releases anyone?

Has anyone heard when the third series will be released in the UK. We usually get it them about 9 - 12 after you guys.

Also has anyone else from the UK purchased the Region 1 versions at all and if so are they any different to the Region 2.

I'm still holding out for Fraggle Rock to be released in season box sets as I loved Doc in the Lighthouse. Does anyone know if this is going to happen either?

Sorry to be a pain,

Thank you

Leanne
x

David French

Reaction score
I'm still holding out for Fraggle Rock to be released in season box sets as I loved Doc in the Lighthouse. Does anyone know if this is going to happen either?
I presume you're referring to the English version of Fraggle Rock, which I'm certain *won't* be released on DVD. Only the North America/Canda version is available on DVD.

LeanneRivett

Reaction score
I presume you're referring to the English version of Fraggle Rock, which I'm certain *won't* be released on DVD. Only the North America/Canda version is available on DVD.
That is a shame, we have a few of them on dvd but it would have been nice to have the box sets. We also have a few dvd's of the fraggle animation series. I don't think I've ever seen an episode.

Anyway, look forward to when TMS 3 comes out over here.

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
Just out of interest, why are you certain they won't be released in the UK? There have already been several compilation DVDs released which feature the Captain, played by Fulton Mackay, in the lighthouse.

LeanneRivett

Reaction score
Just out of interest, why are you certain they won't be released in the UK? There have already been several compilation DVDs released which feature the Captain, played by Fulton Mackay, in the lighthouse.
My thoughts exactly,not that the US ones are not as good but it's what we grew up. I loved that Scottish accent and the lighthouse, it was all very Portman Bill.

L
x

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly,not that the US ones are not as good but it's what we grew up. I loved that Scottish accent and the lighthouse, it was all very Portman Bill.

L
x
But do you remember the later seasons when The Captain dies and his nephew takes over the lighthouse? I still remember the very last episode after Gobo and the Fraggles have befriended The Hairy Monster, they go to Outer Space to visit him but they are confronted with computers that do the same job as the lighthouse keeper and their new friend is gone. I also, vaguely, remember The Captain's nephew seeing Gobo and the new place he moves too has a Fraggle Hole in the wall.
I would love to get to see some of those later UK episodes again.

Also, I used to love Portland Bill when I was a kid. Especially the theme song. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.