Sesame Street Live: When Elmo Grows Up

wantobepiggy83

Reaction score
Yay! - Hello!

yeah, she did a ballet number with oscar in the original production in 93 and the remount in 98, but now she's the medium understudy. in the new "Elmo's Green Thumb" show coming out this August, Grundgy actually has a major role. And the medium understudy character will be another Honker.
YAY! Grundgetta's making a comeback at long last! Hadn't seen her have a speaking part since the remount of Let's Be Friends in 2000, unless you count that very brief moment when you can hear her sing in the Cowboy segment of When Elmo Grows Up.

While I have your attention, allow me to introduce myself. I am wantobepiggy83 (otherwise known as Jase), one of the newest members of Muppet Central forum. I'm a singer/dancer/actor/long-time Jim Henson fanatic in the DC/MD area.

I am a die-hard fan of Sesame Street Live! I never miss a performance, even if I am 25! It's a dream of mine to someday perform on one of those stages, either as one of my favorite Muppets or as a live performer!

Looking forward to discussing with you all! Take care! :wisdom::stick_out_tongue::frown:

StarrFilter

Reaction score
i look forward to our conversations as well :smile: if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

SSLFan

Reaction score
Well, Sesame Street Live is coming...again! They're coming January 30- February 15 and I can't wait to go. Since it's the theatre version of the show, I'm curious to see how they've altered most of the choeography. Plus, I get to finally see the Abby Cadabby walk-around in person, which should be pretty cool.
I can't wait to take my little cousin also, she is in LOVE with SS. We took her to see Elmo Makes Music last year and she absolutely loved it. It's quite ironic since the Fox Theatre is right down the street from my school. Wow...imagine all those school buses for the morning shows! LOL.

They must really love playing Detroit; we have like one of the longest tour stops..16 days...wow.

FisticuffKI

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I've been lurking around the boards for a while now and finally decided to post.

I've been working for VEE for almost a full year now (I joined up with the tour of "Elmo Makes Music" the week after they played Detroit last year). I started off being very good friends with Big Bird through the end of tour last year - and this year I've gotten to know Telly VERY well on tour with "When Elmo Grows Up!"

So... I just wanted to say hello and I look forward to seeing you soon!

Feel free to send any questions my way as well!

~Kyle

PS - No Telly smilies?

SSLFan

Reaction score
Nice to meet you Kyle.:smile: I can't wait to see the show!:excited:

I do have a few questions:

How does it differ from performing Telly over Big Bird?

Do you play any other minor roles in the show?

Do you have a favorite scene?

and How heavy is the costume?

Hope to hear from you soon. :wink:

FisticuffKI

Reaction score
Hello again! Sorry it took so long to respond, Christmas travel got crazy - then family time got even crazier! So now that I'm back on tour, there is time for myself again.

As for your questions -

1. As you can imagine, the bodies of the characters really help define the nature of their performance - the biggest difference between the two being the distribution of weight. I grew up loving Big Bird (and that hasn't stopped) and the opportunity to become such close "friends" was an amazing opportunity. That being said, Telly allows me to move a LOT more, and all that dancing is an absolute blast!

2. I think Elmo, Zoe, Prairie Dawn, Rosita, and the Understudies are the only ones that don't get the opportunity to step into another character. As for me, I get sucked into Elmo's World to run around as his computer... not that exciting...

3. I would have to say that my favorite parts of the show are "I Love Trash" and during the Finale when I get the opportunity to go out into the audience.
~"Trash" is just fun, loud choreography and its a song everyone knows and loves. In fact, there was once a dad who literally sat on the edge of his seat, and at the conclusion of "Trash" we heard him exclaim "Well, ****!"
~I also love the time we get to spend directly with the audience, ruffling dad's hair, taking quick pictures, kissing grandma's hand, and most of all hearing the squeals and laughter of the kids. I would say that that is one of the most noticeable differences between performing at Sesame Place and moving onto Sesame Street Live - at the park there is a lot more direct interaction between meet-and-greets, parades, and the shows.

4. I'm not allowed to talk about the weight of the costume, but I guess I CAN say that I lose around 30+lbs immediately following the show... Its the best diet there is!

Wow - that was long-winded! Sorry if that was too much information - I just get really excited. I look forward to seeing you soon, I hear the Fox Theatre is beautiful! Let me know if you have any more questions.

~K

PS - Take a good look at Roxy Marie... she won't be around much longer.

SSLFan

Reaction score
Hello again! Sorry it took so long to respond, Christmas travel got crazy - then family time got even crazier! So now that I'm back on tour, there is time for myself again.

As for your questions -

1. As you can imagine, the bodies of the characters really help define the nature of their performance - the biggest difference between the two being the distribution of weight. I grew up loving Big Bird (and that hasn't stopped) and the opportunity to become such close "friends" was an amazing opportunity. That being said, Telly allows me to move a LOT more, and all that dancing is an absolute blast!

2. I think Elmo, Zoe, Prairie Dawn, Rosita, and the Understudies are the only ones that don't get the opportunity to step into another character. As for me, I get sucked into Elmo's World to run around as his computer... not that exciting...

3. I would have to say that my favorite parts of the show are "I Love Trash" and during the Finale when I get the opportunity to go out into the audience.
~"Trash" is just fun, loud choreography and its a song everyone knows and loves. In fact, there was once a dad who literally sat on the edge of his seat, and at the conclusion of "Trash" we heard him exclaim "Well, ****!"
~I also love the time we get to spend directly with the audience, ruffling dad's hair, taking quick pictures, kissing grandma's hand, and most of all hearing the squeals and laughter of the kids. I would say that that is one of the most noticeable differences between performing at Sesame Place and moving onto Sesame Street Live - at the park there is a lot more direct interaction between meet-and-greets, parades, and the shows.

4. I'm not allowed to talk about the weight of the costume, but I guess I CAN say that I lose around 30+lbs immediately following the show... Its the best diet there is!

Wow - that was long-winded! Sorry if that was too much information - I just get really excited. I look forward to seeing you soon, I hear the Fox Theatre is beautiful! Let me know if you have any more questions.

~K

PS - Take a good look at Roxy Marie... she won't be around much longer.

Gee, thanks for responding! And don't worry, Lol, I know it gets crazy around holiday time! LOL. But thanks again. And it wasn't too much info.:smile:

But yeah, the Fox is pretty neat. You guys are going to be there for awhile, huh? It starts Jan. 30 and runs through mid-February I believe. And I hope to "see" you too. I hope all the u/s are there, for the past two years I've been seeing SSL, Grundgy and Roxy have been missing!

And I hate what their going to do to Roxy (there taking her off the tour, aren't they?(guessing)).:cry: Roxy was a favorite of mine as a child. Her and Grundgetta spoke in the original production. Did you know that this show was done before? It originally appeared as When I Grow Up; now...it's Elmo. Lol, I'm probably saying something you heard before, forgive me! Xd

Thanks again, and I hope to hear from you again soon!
:wisdom: