Top 5 Retired Sesame Street Muppets

BEAR

Reaction score
Frogboy4 started a thread like this in the Classic Muppets section of the forum, and I decided to rip it off!:stick_out_tongue: ...

Who are your top 5 retired Muppets from Sesame Street that you'd like to see make a comeback?

Here are mine in no particular order:

1. Herry Monster - Sure, he's around sometimes in the background or older footage, but he is such a lovable classic character that needs to be brought out again)

2. Bruno - (I was watching Follow That Bird the other day and was reminded of how awesome he was! I loved the end when he is taking Oscar for a walk and then stops and looks back at the kids playing like he wants to join in. Bruno seems so sweet to me and the character looked cool too. I love that he was the only full-bodied humanoid Muppet on SS)

3. Wolfgang the Seal - So cute!

4. The Honkers - They just need to use them more.

5. Kermit the Frog - Not that he is retired from the Muppet World, but he is retired from Sesame Street.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'll bite on this one too. :stick_out_tongue:

1 Herry Monster (I miss his blue fuzzy self)
2 Kermit the Frog (I miss his reports)
3 Little Bird (whatever happened to him?)
4 Bruno (word is he was never rebuilt)
5 The Yip Yips (I know, a simple gag, but it's funny)
(along with the cast of Sesame Street before it became the Elmo Show) :grouchy:

Elmo is my choice for a character that could hang in the background for a while so the other fuzzy fellas can have a turn. S is for Sesame and it's also for Sharing! :frown:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
1. Biff and Sully (yeah, counts as two, but who cares?)
2. Lefty
3. Herry Monster
4. Bruno
5. Forgetful Jones

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
5. Betty Lou - she was rather spunky and fun, don't see much of her these days I think, I could be wrong though
4. Herry Monster - I agree with what has already been said
3. Frazzle - Come on, he was just a big old cuddly monster deep down
2. Harvey Kneeslapper - I just loved his one liners, I do know it was hard on Frank Oz's voice to perform him though
1. Kermit the Frog - SS isn't the same without him

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think she is still around, just in the background.
So is Herry Monster. plus they use at least one or two older clips a year featuring him.

My list would be:

Don Music- A frustraited musician that can't write pre-existing public domain nursery Rhyme music? That's funny. Him rewriting it to make sense? That's funnier. They could have easily toned down his head banging and kept him around a little longer. Indeed, I heard they did.

Guy Smiley- A dead on satire of 1970's style game show hosts, complete with air raid siren loud shouting.

Leo, the Party Monster- Richard Hunt doing what he does best. Weird, loud, wacky characters with bizarre personalities.

Forgetful Jones- Another Richard Hunt pick. What can I say, I just miss the guy.

Sherlock Hemlock- I really loved this guy as a kid, and I still do. A defective detective that looks too closely at the evidence and comes up with his own conclusion. Considering I watched a lot of Inspector Gadget, Mighty Heroes, and Super Chicken as a child, no wonder I love defective characters.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I think she is still around, just in the background.
I still think of Little Bird as a boy. Has that ever been established or is it up to individual interpretation? Jim began the character, if I am correct. :smile:

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Frogboy4 started a thread like this in the Classic Muppets section of the forum, and I decided to rip it off!:stick_out_tongue: ...

Who are your top 5 retired Muppets from Sesame Street that you'd like to see make a comeback?

Here are mine in no particular order:

1. Herry Monster - Sure, he's around sometimes in the background or older footage, but he is such a lovable classic character that needs to be brought out again)

2. Bruno - (I was watching Follow That Bird the other day and was reminded of how awesome he was! I loved the end when he is taking Oscar for a walk and then stops and looks back at the kids playing like he wants to join in. Bruno seems so sweet to me and the character looked cool too. I love that he was the only full-bodied humanoid Muppet on SS)

3. Wolfgang the Seal - So cute!

4. The Honkers - They just need to use them more.

5. Kermit the Frog - Not that he is retired from the Muppet World, but he is retired from Sesame Street.

Well If Herry's still in the background then he's not retired and I think The Honkers were on some Elmo's World piece so they're probably not totally gone either.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Well If Herry's still in the background then he's not retired and I think The Honkers were on some Elmo's World piece so they're probably not totally gone either.
I still look at silent characters as retired kind of like how Scooter and Rowlf were treated for so long until several years ago. How long has it been since Herry has spoken in a new segment?

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Don Music
Forgetful Jones
Sam the Robot (who sort of had a revival in "A Sesame Street Christmas Carol")
Barkley (I've heard he's more or less retired- that's a shame- definitely love to see him on Sesame Street again)
Guy Smiley
Sherlock Hemlock
Harvey Kneeslapper
Sonny Friendly
Biff and Sully
Little Bird
Betty Lou
Roosevelt Franklin
Dr. Nobel Price
Baby Monster
Scudge
Farley