Ask Travis: A Master Replicas Photo Puppet Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

muppetguy

Reaction score
Comment for muppetperson

We also don't know how it broke down, was it heat, was it stored somewhere where it can be damaged, were things thrown on top of it? The rest of her head seems fine for age...So my speculation is that, it wasn't kept properly or thrown somwhere with things on top of it to do such a thing. I love Piggy. And have 100% faith in Travis that he will accomplish Piggy in all her fabulousness!:mad:

Fozzie6

Reaction score
Actually, no. Sorry. These will be at Toy Fair, and all of the information will be revealed at that time... So, a couple more weeks.
No need to apologize, that's a good answer to me, I can wait a few weeks. Like everyone else has said, I just appreciate you coming on here and answering questions. Thanks!

antonydavanzo

Reaction score
Q
Would you consider a fan photo page on the MR site as I think (no offences) that people here have taken a lot better pics than the ones on the site and it could help get people to buy them......

Thanks man.....and congrats by the way!

Luke

Reaction score
The rest of her head seems fine for age...So my speculation is that, it wasn't kept properly or thrown somwhere with things on top of it to do such a thing.
When puppets (or toys made from foam) break down they do only start to break down in random places. It's just the way they are, nothing has to be stacked on top of it. Unfortunate because as you can see, the rest of them can be fine for years and years - i would bet that Piggy head is 20 years old.

Thats kinda my point on these, they're put through the QC process like plushies, but the people buying them know they're replicas of professional puppets, they know what they're getting into. They should care enough to look after them and if done so, they should be fine for years. I wish Master Replicas could use reticulated foam (maybe if there was something to treat it with) as i know each one would be 100% "true" replica. I know it can be a bit random though as to when the foam starts to break down so it is probably wise not to. These should be cared for anyway as they're not the same as a 10 buck plush you leave on a bed or shelf - a can of compressed air, a nice clothes brush, not being kept in direct sunglight. It's not something constantly needed, but done occasionally its gonna make a big improvement longterm.

ElecMayhem

Reaction score
Hey all-

I will get back to addressing questions shortly, but I wanted to address Luke's point about using the real materials. Because there's a part of me that agrees with him. And believe me, we went down this road internally.

One could assume that if a person is willing and able to shell out $300 (or more) for a replica, said person would recognize that it's not a "toy," and that it's intended ot be treated as such. This means, most likely you put it under glass (or acrylic case) and treat it like a museum quality piece. (i.e. you don't touch it.)

This creates several issues, from a company's standpoint. First and foremost, we cannot assume that Joe Consumer is going to act a certain way. We can include all the "this is not a toy" documentation that we want, but people are going to do, what people are going to do.

Say for instance we made Gonzo accurately... the nose was extremely fragile. If you picked him up by the nose -- or say, were recreating the elevator scene from TGMC -- there's a chance (a very good chance) that the nose would tear right off his face. And I guarantee that we would have a minimum of five people do this in the first week! If I've learned anything from MR, it's that I will never stop being shocked at what people do with (and to) their high end collectibles! So in a sense, we need to cater to the lowest common denominator.

Couple that with the fact that the Photo Puppets -- more than any product this company has ever made -- demand to be played with. They are built with armatures, to be posed, and in a sense, their very nature works contrary to the idea of a museum quality replica. Take a lightsaber hilt. No moving parts; no fun. But these guys cry out to be man-handled. And therefore, they need to be durable.

Remember Ken's never-ending battle to balance between accurate sculpt and articulation? Well, mine is a battle between accuracy and durability.

But in terms of protecting the company from a barage of returned noseless Gonzos, it was determined early on that the foam would not work. (Plus, even if Joe Consumer did treat it properly, in two years, if the tip crumbled off, I assure you they would want their money back.)

Hope this helps some...

T

muppetperson

Reaction score

muppetperson

Reaction score
More evidence

We also don't know how it broke down, was it heat, was it stored somewhere where it can be damaged, were things thrown on top of it? The rest of her head seems fine for age...So my speculation is that, it wasn't kept properly or thrown somwhere with things on top of it to do such a thing. I love Piggy. And have 100% faith in Travis that he will accomplish Piggy in all her fabulousness!:mad:
Here is another Piggy head breaking down

It doesnt matter how careful you are, it will break down by itself.Latex is a natural rubber organic material that decays.Just light alone will break it down.There is nothing you can do to stop it.You can slow it down by keeping it in the dark, but what is the point of having something and not being able to see it.Simular materials are the way to go rather than the same that doesnt last.Twenty years goes quickly and some latex breaks down even after 7 years or so.:eek:

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
Travis...

Not to beat a dead horse and I'm aware this is a done deal... but, it looks like MR could have found a material, similar to kermits green furry felt that could cover Gonzo's nose & etc. making him look more furry. No?

Muppet Loverr

Reaction score
I might get that Miss Piggy head tho. I am so desperate for one,lol. Anyway will the Miss Piggy MR last FOREVER? or no?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
A few questions...

I know you inherited this Gonzo project and he's a done-deal, but could you enlighten me on - why hollowed-out moulded plastic wasn't used for the nose? The current stocking fix isn't authentic either so I'd think the designers would have chosen to at least make the nose likeness *look* better and more accurate. I believe some sort of rotocast textured plastic shell - light hollow plastic Palisades Mega Gonzo nose - should have been the way to go. Was that ever attempted?

Also, did you see this quick tweak Photoshop alteration I made? It voids the MR warranty, but makes all the difference in the facial focus of what gives a Muppet the *Muppet look*.
:concern:

You do know that I'm getting this Gonzo and will be pleased to have him. I know he will grow on me. Yeah, there are some basic things about his construction that I believe weren't exploited. Much of it can be worked around. Still don't know why we felt the suit was incorrect? It's spot-on!

:attitude: Thanks again for your patience and your activity on the forum! We've missed you! :wink:

(PS, also note the classic Henson Company used Gonzo poser on the far left top corner of the comp I listed above. Now that is one real ugly Gonzo. LOL! Just thought you'd enjoy seeing that in light of all the criticisms coming at you.)

Status
Not open for further replies.