Ask Travis: A Master Replicas Photo Puppet Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElecMayhem

Reaction score
Though I don't think a plastic one was ever mocked up, it was considered. But the cost quotes came in too high.

It goes back to the same issue as Animal's chains, which I addressed somewhere. Plastic items are expensive to make. Palisades was able to make plastic figures, but it was a volume-based business. When the volume went away, so did the Muppets line (and in turn, so did the company...)

The unit costs on plastic pieces are not terribly high -- the nose, at that size, woudl probably have cost $2-3 per unit BUT the up-front costs of tooling would have been much more. Therefore, it would have been feasible, had we been making 20,000 Gonzos, rather than 2,500. Either that, or we would have had to take Gonzo's SRP up quite a bit.

And I know, I know gentle reader you might have paid more, but again... we have to think of the more casual Muppet fans, too.

So, the sock nose is final. Ideal? No, but that's where we are.

And again, I reiterate... I love him anyway.

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
A simple change of fabric covering for the nose would have made all the difference. I work with this everyday at the Pacific Design Center in LA... There are bazillions of fabric choices that would have brought him to life. Whoever approved that final fabric choice was wrong.:sympathy:

ElecMayhem

Reaction score
Ah yes, now I remember why Ken used to get so frustrated, and swear off forums for long periods at a time... Eveyone here is smarter than everyone else. :smile:

No, no... I mean that with all due respect and affection. But man, you guys can be tough!

So, uppitymuppity... can you please recommend a couple of fabrics? Too late to impact the product, but people are going to make changes to him (again, not advocating this for warranty reasons) and will be asking for fabric suggestions -- I figure I can just put the question out there now. Maybe scan a couple of swatches or something...

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Thank you Travis for answering the question. I still think it was the wrong choice not to the plastic rout as I belive MR might be sitting on Gonzo stock as Palisades did with series one Piggy. In the end it's the question of a higher SRP or a (possibly) slower selling product. Glad you get these decisions rather than me! He he!

One thing is for certian, MR will be housing one less Gonzo after I get me one! It will be interesting to track the progress of Gonzo. I do hope to be wrong and that he sells well. Thanks again for bringing us crazed fans the closest things to real Muppets.

Bear Man

Reaction score
Hey Travis, just a quick question out of curiosity, are the plastic parts on the posers tooled and molded specifically for the product, or are they "off the shelf" items you purchase pre-made?

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
Travis:

Do you know what week they will be shipping out? I am getting too excited here!

Thank you! :concern:

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
Sorry to ruffle the muppety feathers...

Travis, yes definitely. I'm a little frazzled at the center today dealing with a whole other world of design issues and can't wait to get out of this madhouse and kick back with a nice glass of cabernet. Come Monday I will definitely pay a visit to my good friends and experts at "Donghia". This is the kind of thing that must be super light, somewhat furry, stretchy and i'm assured you can get it in the appropriate colors. I will get right on that - give me the weekend.

It's the recovering that I would be scared to attempt - hmm.

http://www.pacificdesigncenter.com/

Luke

Reaction score
But in terms of protecting the company from a barage of returned noseless Gonzos, it was determined early on that the foam would not work. (Plus, even if Joe Consumer did treat it properly, in two years, if the tip crumbled off, I assure you they would want their money back.)
Totally understood Trav, and thanks for giving some insight on that. Yeah i guess for every fan here who'd treat em like a museum piece with a little light posing there's gonna be someone who takes it windsurfing or something. Obviously the fanboy in us or you wants them exact, but in our case we don't always consider the business aspect for you guys. Same way i can understand when Master Replicas has paid a gazillion for the license you gotta get the main characters out to get as many people buying, even if sometimes its like attempting the impossible replicating foam heads and noses and things that wouldn't be there if you chose a simpler Muppet. It is one heck of a license to have to handle, good luck!

I don't have any questions, have a great weekend! :zany:

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
So, uppitymuppity... can you please recommend a couple of fabrics? Too late to impact the product, but people are going to make changes to him (again, not advocating this for warranty reasons) and will be asking for fabric suggestions -- I figure I can just put the question out there now. Maybe scan a couple of swatches or something...
Just off the top of my head, I would have gone with Antron Fleece, like Kermit and Animal. It wouldn't have looked any more like foam, but it at least would have been more "Muppety", if you know what I mean.

Unless there's some way to flock a plastic head, that's what I would do for any of the foam characters - Piggy, Statler and Waldorf, etc. Animal was originally an all foam character and the fleece version hasn't hurt him. Keeermit's Piggy is fleece covered and it looks peachy.

Maybe uppitymuppity will come up with a better idea.

:stick_out_tongue:

Status
Not open for further replies.