Ask Travis: A Master Replicas Photo Puppet Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
Just off the top of my head, I would have gone with Antron Fleece, like Kermit and Animal. It wouldn't have looked any more like foam, but it at least would have been more "Muppety", if you know what I mean.

Unless there's some way to flock a plastic head, that's what I would do for any of the foam characters - Piggy, Statler and Waldorf, etc. Animal was originally an all foam character and the fleece version hasn't hurt him. Keeermit's Piggy is fleece covered and it looks peachy.

Maybe uppitymuppity will come up with a better idea.

:stick_out_tongue:
Us Californians must think alike? That is exactly what I was trying to say - that the fleece look would have been more muppety. My preliminary search was inconclusive but, never fear there is miles of fabric left for me to look at on Monday. You could have a professional "re-cover" that nose & etc. It's just the right fabric that you need - preferably not bulky as you don't won't to add very much in terms of the size of the overall nose. I'll keep looking and keep you informed but, the "fleece" similar to kermit or animals nose would have been better.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Is there any chance for those of us shelling out big bucks for Gonzo that Master Replicas will include replacement felt pupil dots with their order? He really needs them and it would be a nice gesture from Master Replicas. Any Muppet fan (your prime customer) can see that the placement, unlike Animal, is quite off. One of the biggest selling features of having a living, breathing Muppet is sorely lacking because of the eyes.

I get the nose thing, but I just can't help but feel frustrated about the poor quality control for Gonzo's eye focus because the limited number Mega Gonzos beautifully nailed it. Was pupil placement not a priority or did that important issue slip through the cracks somehow? I do know that this sort of thing won't happen under your management. I know you are playing clean-up with a lot of this and appreciate it. I do get that answering this stuff can be frustrating. Thanks again for that!

Also:
Have you considered the possibility of developing a generic rat with Rizzo parts to accompany his release? It could be a way of getting more from that investment.

And finally...killing you, I know:
I hope you aren't taking many of these comments (by others and me) personally. Ken usually could compartmentalize the criticisms and make it work for the product. Answering the forum and fan questions does help Master Replicas. Also remember that fan is short for fanatic! :crazy:

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
All criticisms aside...

Everyone should support this line and purchase Gonzo straight away as the snub of any one of them could result in the end of the venture. It's an investment in the future of the line and Travis' much welcomed aesthetic and dedication.

I, for one, almost cried when I saw the Fozzy prototype. AMAZING! shudders!:embarrassed:

MrTheFrog

Reaction score
Hey Travis,
What kind of foam is under the netting?

For everyone else, if it would work, you might try removing the netting, roughing up the foam with some sandpaper, and then sponge painting it. That might be an option. In fact, I bet someone here with puppet building experience could make a little extra cash sprucing up Gonzo noses if they wanted. Just some ideas. Honestly the white eyelids showing under the foam disturbs me more than the nose, though the nose, as Travis put it, is less than ideal.
-Artie

ElecMayhem

Reaction score
And finally...killing you, I know:
I hope you aren't taking many of these comments (by others and me) personally. Ken usually could compartmentalize the criticisms and make it work for the product. Answering the forum and fan questions does help Master Replicas. Also remember that fan is short for fanatic! :crazy:
I know, and believe me, no one has offended me in any way, shape or form. It's just hard to keep up with the barrage of questions, coupled with the fact that everyone thinks their solution is the right one! Ya know? But no, not taking it personally at all. (You'll know when that happens :smile:)And believe me, as the grown man with the most Muppet swag of anyone that I know, I am certainly among the fanatics.

As for Ken, you never had to be in his office to see his reactions. :wink: But I agree, he always handled it very gracefully. Usually, anyway.

ElecMayhem

Reaction score
Everyone should support this line and purchase Gonzo straight away as the snub of any one of them could result in the end of the venture. It's an investment in the future of the line and Travis' much welcomed aesthetic and dedication.

I, for one, almost cried when I saw the Fozzy prototype. AMAZING! shudders!:embarrassed:
Actually, I don't agree with this fundamentally. I didn't with Palisades, either. Yes it is true that the future of the line will be contingent upon current sales. But I don't think that anyone should ever buy anything -- especially a $300 item -- if they don't want it.

And DEFINITELY don't do it because of me. Remember, despite long absences, I am one of you -- a Muppet fan. I was here pre-Palisades, and I will be here in the future, no matter what. (In fact, if you don't know the story, it was here on MC that I first met Ken Lilly, which led to our friendship, which led to my job at Palisades, which led me to be introduced to MR, which brings me to where I am now... If it weren't for my Muppet fandom, my life would be DRASTICALLY different...)

That said, I appreciate the sentiment.

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
We appreciate the humbleness Travis - you wear it well! But, here in Los Angeles, the city of industry, everything revolves around the bottom line. If the studios see a falter in profit the venture is gone. I simply don't want to see that happen.

This glass of wine is the best - many best wishes and very nice to meet you!:big_grin:

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
I really want Fozzie to make it through is all. I don't really want to be worried about it though. I REALLY REALLY want Fozzie. :embarrassed:

ElecMayhem

Reaction score
One last Q&A before I go enjoy my weekend. Thank you guys for your support; it's truly fun to be back!

What other Henson related projects would you like to see done via MR.....as a wish list. Also what did you think of Lost!
Let me get back to you on the wish list... we had, a few years ago, an offer on the table to do Labyrinth & Dark Crystal... but we passed on it. Don't get me started on that. But as for anything else, I will have to think about it.

LOST... was... awesome. Can't wait for next week!

Sorry, Trav, the head does break down.Look at this

From the mould you could make vinyl heads and flock it.
Poop. I thought just as much. Although, I still want to do more research, as that would appear to be a vintage head, and the newer ones are quite different. (Some, of course, would argue that they are not as good!) But, it's the material I am interested in. The foam in the provided Miss Piggy bible was very thick, non-porous, and appeared to be pre-flocked on the outside. As I said, when Terry and I get into it, there will be extensive research!

Hey Travis,

Question on Fozzie.

When the protos were made, I believe the only fur available was 3.5 inches long, and the Fozzie fur should be 2.5 inches.

Um. Idunno. I would have to look into that. i think Terry trimmed it, but we would source something shorter in China.

Has this shorter fur been found to use on the replica or will he be made from the longer fur?
Sadly, we're not there yet... but see my answer above for my best guess at this juncture. Just because Terry could not find 2.5 fur to make the prototype, it has no bearing (ha! pun!) on what we find in China!

Next, Do the offical Muppet Posers have wires in there feet/toes?
Feet, yes. Toes, I don't think so. Kermit and Gonzo don't but I would have to check on the others. How much toe articulation do you need? :wink:

With future Replicas, is the eye lids opening and closing something that could be fixed so it didnt need to be pinned?
Probably not. The reason is, we're working from patterns and blueprints... and they do not include the mechanism. In fact, I do not know how it would be accomplished on a non-traditional puppet. (Though, admittedly, I am not an engineer!) In a traditional puppet, when the performer's hand is inside, they control the mechanism. No idea how that would work from the outside.

Maybe Master Replicas should buy it and make a mould from it! Probably be cheaper than trying to tool there own from scratch!
I thought about it... and would try to do it, if it were in better shape.

My question is, well, acctually two, 1. Will you be there showing off master replica items (more in particullarly Muppets and Disney items)?
Probably not. The only consumer show on our schedule for 08 (currently) is San Diego Comic Con. Since we're west coast based, that's a tough one for us.

and 2. Will we see a Miss Piggy prototype Poser? (SO HOPING YOU SAY YES ON THIS).
Eventually yes... but she has not even been started yet. So don't hold your breath! :smile:

Q
Would you consider a fan photo page on the MR site as I think (no offences) that people here have taken a lot better pics than the ones on the site and it could help get people to buy them......
We've talked about this. In fact, that was part of the idea behind Kermit's "World" Tour. It is something that we would potentially entertain for the future. As it stands, please feel free to post them on our forum!

And, I think I have addressed everything else... at least, partially. Look forward to more questions! I will talk to y'all soon!

ElecMayhem

Reaction score
Hey Travis,
What kind of foam is under the netting?

For everyone else, if it would work, you might try removing the netting, roughing up the foam with some sandpaper, and then sponge painting it. That might be an option. In fact, I bet someone here with puppet building experience could make a little extra cash sprucing up Gonzo noses if they wanted. Just some ideas. Honestly the white eyelids showing under the foam disturbs me more than the nose, though the nose, as Travis put it, is less than ideal.
-Artie
Oh Artie -- how could I forget you?

Um, the answer is I have no idea. But it's smooth. Like a nerf-y texture. I will inquire about this next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.