The "Dream/Scheme" issue

Princeton

Reaction score
I've made an observation that's a little weird but neat nonetheless. It seems to me that the FR songwriters rhyme "dream" and "scheme" too much in their songs. I can only think of two examples, but for all I know there might be more: "Heart In A Hanky" from Wembley's Flight and "Big Boy Now" from A Dark and Stormy Night. Is this just coincidence or a weakness in the composing of the songs?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Not only that, I've heard nearly the same melody in a few Fraggle songs. But it makes sense, pretty much the same writers the whole series, having to come up with two songs every week. I imagine it would be necessary to steal from yourself occasionally, lol.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Well, real life tribe cultures repeat the same melodies a lot :smile:. So fraggles as a race are'nt that much different than we silly creatures :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
This kinda reminds me of something that always makes me laugh on FR. In a couple episodes, the Fraggles are actually trying to compose songs and comment on how hard it is. Of course, they don't seem to realize they're composing every time they randomly break into song! Lol

I'm being nitpicky I know, lol, but I always find that hilarious when watching any sort of musical and characters think it's perfectly normal to burst into song, or aren't even aware of it, lol.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I love musicals :smile: They need no logic they are just fun :3. Besides, if we could deep down I bet we would all like to randomly sing about our lifes for no reason and have everyone join in with us :wink:

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Don't forget "Change" and "rearrange", it's been used in TMM and I think I've noticed it in FR as well! Someone help me out on this one.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Oh yeah I adore musicals, I just love to make fun of the things I enjoy, lol.

"Maybe things will change and maybe they'll rearrange I may see my friend come back again." That's from a song Mokey sang when Gobo was stuck in Outer Space.

I'm blanking, when were they used in TMM?

Redsonga

Reaction score
Well there are only so many words you can use if you are writing a song in that style :wink:

MrsPepper

Reaction score
It was in Can You Picture That?

"Life beings a-chaingin'/ mental rearrangin'/ nothing's really where it's at"

Or something like that. That song is hard to decipher!

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Alright, that's one song with change and rearrange in them. Got another for me?

I think there are a few reasons for this. And to start with, Dennis Lee and Phill Balsom SP? were not weak song writers!

First, they do rhyme, and so are fair game for a song.
Second, it could be coincidence at that.
Second, in the literary sense, dreams and skemes do mean about the same thing, and so were used only to further accentuate the point the singers were trying to make.Also Redsonga, I never thought of it from the angle of being a tribal culture. That's a good point!
:excited:

And Heralde, I absolutely love knitpicking at these points, especially when they have to do with Fraggle Rock!