Henson Company NY

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Of course, I do want to add that Blinky Fish made a lot of great suggestions too! :wink:

I just wanted to defend The Paley Center/TV Museum because it has meant a lot to me. :smile:

MelissaY1

Reaction score
M - You answered my arguement - The rotating display is never advertised, nor displayed on a regular basis and the oh, so helpful French guy (not to give Frogs of the other nature a bad name) at the counter - is not a Henson fan.

Been there myself several times on a trip for work... and I find that some of the diplays get more attention than most. And they leave out important contributions based on a generation gap and obvious donations of the financial kind. If you want to see Henson stuff you should go to LA there is more stuff out there.

M - I still think u rule:big_grin:
LOL Thanks. Well, I think the biggest misconception people have about that museum is that it's a museum where they have exhibits on display or that they constantly have screenings of Muppet stuff. Where rather it's more of a archival/library type facility. I know you know this I'm just reiterating this for people around here who might not be familiar with how it works.

I do have to say though I've been there on random weekends and there's always some sort of Muppet related thing being shown whether it's a Muppet Show episode, or Henson T.V. special, etc. They are VERY supportive of Henson and the vast amount of the company's work. I've never been out to the L.A. branch so I can't say firsthand but I'm very proud to be a member of the NYC branch. They've had some great stuff over the years and I'm sure will continue to do so.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Of course, I do want to add that Blinky Fish made a lot of great suggestions too! :wink:

I just wanted to defend The Paley Center/TV Museum because it has meant a lot to me. :smile:
I agree! I've had amazing opportunities there over the years to see some of my favorite people, Henson related and non. I just met Michael J. Fox there earlier this month!

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Kaufman-Astoria? Sounds familiar, but refresh my memory what that has to do with the Muppets.

The office building may be only a building now, but still I would like to see the outside of it.
Kaufman Astoria is where they currently film Sesame Street and have been the past decade at least.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I agree! I've had amazing opportunities there over the years to see some of my favorite people, Henson related and non. I just met Michael J. Fox there earlier this month!
How is Michael doing?

MelissaY1

Reaction score
How is Michael doing?
He seemed to be doing well. I think whatever medication he's on these days for his Parkinson's is much improved from a few years back. I remember seeing him on T.V. interviews in the past several years ago where he had slurred speech, etc. Now he just kind of shakes back and forth while he was sitting, but standing up and walking he seemed fine.

Here's a link to my pic with him if you're interested: http://www.flickr.com/photos/melissay1/2245146407/ And if you check out the rest of my pics there's one with me and his T.V. parents: Meredith Baxter and Michael Gross.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
He looks great in the pic, and i know what ya mean about him being an idol he has been mine to. I love him in Famliy Ties the most. how do you meet all these people? Is it being at the right place at the right time or what?

MelissaY1

Reaction score
He looks great in the pic, and i know what ya mean about him being an idol he has been mine to. I love him in Famliy Ties the most. how do you meet all these people? Is it being at the right place at the right time or what?
Yeah he was one of my early childhood crushes and actually for this particular event he was not even originally announced: he came as a surprise guest because he lives in the NYC area. I really went originally to see Meredith Baxter and Michael Gross. So to have Michael J. Fox show up was a real treat.

As for meeting all these people, basically it's a big hobby of mine and my mom's: to meet famous people and attend events they're going to be at. Or at the very least, hang out by stage doors, etc. Which is exactly how I got the picture with Michael. They weren't allowing photos to be taken inside, so I just waited outside in the front with everyone else, and politely asked him if I could get a picture with him. I belong to a lot of fan sites such as this one to find out where my favorite people are going to be. I go to a lot of fan conventions/collectors shows, book signings, etc.

I have a bunch of other shots of me with famous people on my MySpace too. www.myspace.com/melissay1 and also strewn throughout my Flickr account.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I was at that event too! It was great to see all those guests from Family Ties and Spin City and the mother from Happy Days, as well as their creator Gary David Goldberg (who signed my book hehe). Perhaps the most surreal moment was when they played the Family Ties theme song on the screen. I mean, to us it's a classic theme song. For the actors sitting right there, it was their lives!

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I was at that event too! It was great to see all those guests from Family Ties and Spin City and the mother from Happy Days, as well as their creator Gary David Goldberg (who signed my book hehe). Perhaps the most surreal moment was when they played the Family Ties theme song on the screen. I mean, to us it's a classic theme song. For the actors sitting right there, it was their lives!
Were you there? :smile: How great was that? I also saw a Henson employee there who shall remain nameless since I know he frequents several of the fan sites. But I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to him. I didn't want to lose my place in line going into the theater because I had left work purposely to get down there on time.

I even skipped the pre-reception and book signing just so I could get a good seat. LOL I didn't get to talk to Richard Kind or Michael Boatman or even Gary David Goldberg either unfortunately. But Marion Ross, Meredith Baxter, Michael Gross and Michael J. Fox were all really really nice and their stories were great.