Disney Enlists Segel & Stoller for new Muppets movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

WAYMOND

Reaction score
I read somewhere that Jerry was pursueing a music career by releasing his own cd. Is there any truth to that?

anytimepally

Reaction score
I'm glad to hear they're going to try getting Paul Williams! :sing: :cool:

anytimepally

Reaction score
I agree with you there, WAYMOND! Even if he just comes back to dub Robin and lets Floyd and Lew Zealand be performed by John Kennedy and Bill Baretta (respectively), I still hope to see Jerry back in some fashion. A cameo would be awesome!
you know, a good place for him to be if it's just a small role would be Statler, because Statler and Waldorf only get a few lines per film :sleep: :boo:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
you know, a good place for him to be if it's just a small role would be Statler, because Statler and Waldorf only get a few lines per film
:boo: A nice thought, but I actually think Steve does a better job with Statler, or at least his is closer to Richard Hunt's Statler. Especially with Dave Goelz playing Waldorf, the two characters end up having a relationship closer to how they were on The Muppet Show. Dave and Jerry work well together, but Dave and Steve play off each other so great! :sleep:

Having said that, I really, really want to see as many characters that Jerry Nelson originated as possible (yes, I know he originated Statler, but Richard made him the old fool we know and love).

Jerry characters for the new Muppet movie: Floyd, Crazy Harry, Robin, Uncle Deadly, Lew Zealand, Louis Kazagger, Pops, Slim Wilson, Angus McGonagle the Argyle Gargoyle who gargles Gershwin... heck, everybody! :sing:

Rowlph

Reaction score
They Could Do It Well

As far as future movie ideas go, I REALLY hope they return back to the concept that the Muppets live in a Muppet world with Human guests, NOT a Human world with Muppet guests. I always thought that the best Muppet movies/shows were the ones that let us relax completely in the Muppet fantasy. Although movies like 'Muppets Take Manhattan' had good stuff going for it, don't you think it was strange in a distracting way for everything to be human around them. And don't you think it would have been WAY cooler if the movie was set a Muppet World's New York with human guests? Think of the world created in 'Muppets Christmas Carol'!

Also, I really hope they keep the jokes and material appropriate for all ages, as that has been the point of the Muppets from the beginning, something that everyone can enjoy. While it can take more effort to do this well, it would be worth it. However, from their choice in people working on this movie, I suspect that they may try to make more Adult Muppet stuff, which is frankly, weird. Weird in a bad way, not a Gonzo way.

Do it well! :sympathy:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Rowlph said:
As far as future movie ideas go, I REALLY hope they return back to the concept that the Muppets live in a Muppet world with Human guests, NOT a Human world with Muppet guests. I always thought that the best Muppet movies/shows were the ones that let us relax completely in the Muppet fantasy. Although movies like 'Muppets Take Manhattan' had good stuff going for it, don't you think it was strange in a distracting way for everything to be human around them. And don't you think it would have been WAY cooler if the movie was set a Muppet World's New York with human guests? Think of the world created in 'Muppets Christmas Carol'!
I agree with this somewhat. I always assumed the Muppetverse was rather balanced, at least, there was an implied balance. Humans didn't gawk at the Muppets in Manhattan like they were freaks who didn't belong there, and they managed to fill the pews with characters. Perhaps it comes down to staffing? Nowadays, you could always insert more Muppets in the background, either completely with CGI or film a character in blue screen and add later or something.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well I guess it depends on your own taste. Some fans like MCC's universe better and that's cool but I'm personally a bigger fan of Muppets Take Manhattan. Personally I liked it when the Muppets were kinda outcasts in a human world. They stuck out and were a bit strange, but that taught the humans a lesson in creativity and tolerance. :smile:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
No, I agree. They seem to be like the minority of minorities, since they range from non-talking animals/things to sentient and talking animals/things WHILE humans and regular animals/things already exist. However, while some humans were, uh, "Muppetist", on the whole, most didn't really care.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Well I guess it depends on your own taste. Some fans like MCC's universe better and that's cool but I'm personally a bigger fan of Muppets Take Manhattan. Personally I liked it when the Muppets were kinda outcasts in a human world. They stuck out and were a bit strange, but that taught the humans a lesson in creativity and tolerance. :smile:
I agree. The crafted soundstage sets for MTI and MCC are beautiful, but they just don't beat Fozzie Bear talking to a herd of cows. "Of course I've heard of cows!" :embarrassed:

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I agree. The crafted soundstage sets for MTI and MCC are beautiful, but they just don't beat Fozzie Bear talking to a herd of cows. "Of course I've heard of cows!" :embarrassed:
Hear! Hear! The magic of Kermit on a bicycle or Fozzie driving a Studebaker can't be beat by Muppets mingling on an old London street. Not by a long shot. Gimme Muppets in the real world any day of the week! It's been WAY too long since we've seen that. And I think Segel and Stoller will not disappoint in that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.