Which are muppets?

Maestro

Reaction score
My goodness, I can't believe so many people have replied to this thread. I never would have expected such a turnout; truthfully I had nearly forgotten about the thread I want to thank you all for your opinions and your discussions.

Unless I am further swayed, what I have discerned to be Muppets is any characters that are the brainchild of Jim Henson himself, save for the Fraggles, anything created in the Creature Shop, and any of the things created for commercials/advertising. Also, I consider animated versions not to be Muppets but simply incarnations of them.

I imagine I will receive much argument on this, so let the posting continue! :big_grin:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Me personally, I still consider the Fraggles Muppets, because they were the brainchild of Henson and were considered Muppets before the partnership with the Mouse House took effect. Ergo, just as Mickey will forever be associated with Walt's original vision for his company, I am sure that Henson's creations--whether legally his anymore or otherwise--will forever be associated to the man who brought them into existance.

Quesal

Reaction score
Puppetry has grown as an artform intensely since Jim started The Muppets. So many puppets have been created for different purposes by different people. Personally I'm not surprised at how large this thread has become.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Puppetry has grown as an artform intensely since Jim started The Muppets. So many puppets have been created for different purposes by different people. Personally I'm not surprised at how large this thread has become.
Me either, as it's shown how people have varied views as to what a Muppet is.