Muppet Classic Theater -- think it'll ever hit DVD ?

Narpin

Reaction score
Remember Muppet Classic Theater from '94?

Do you think there's any chance we'll ever see a DVD of that, or has too much time passed?

Kermieuk

Reaction score
It already has in the UK. It was included as an extra on the Very Best Of The Muppet Show by Columbia.

If you have a multiregion DVD player you could get a copy from ebay.co.uk.

I only watched it last week.

Chris

muppet_dk

Reaction score
It already has in the UK. It was included as an extra on the Very Best Of The Muppet Show by Columbia.
It is actually a cuted version. First of it's cut in 2 and divided on the Very Best Of The Muppet Show vol. 2 and 3. And from what I've heard some of the introduction for the stories are also cut.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It all really depends on Disney. If they want to release it, or think it's profitable, they very well could release it. But other than the movies they own (the ones not produced by Sony) and the Muppet Show sets, they hven't released all that much else.

Kermieuk

Reaction score
It is actually a cuted version. First of it's cut in 2 and divided on the Very Best Of The Muppet Show vol. 2 and 3. And from what I've heard some of the introduction for the stories are also cut.
I dont think they were cut for the DVD's. Some countries had them originally released on VHS as two volumes, Spain I know did this. Also the UK VHS had all 6 stories but was done as two seperate programmes with three stories in each.

As for cuts in the intros, I'm not sure but could be correct.

Here is a link for vol 2 of the DVD which has the first 3 Fairy Tales on it. (UK release was called Muppet Fairy Tales, not Muppet Classic Theatre like the US version.)

Chris

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I am lucky enough to own a VHS copy that has never been viewed (well, once by me) at a second-hand shop. But I'm afraid to watch it and wear it out. I wish it was on DVD.

KrazyJoe

Reaction score
It all really depends on Disney. If they want to release it, or think it's profitable, they very well could release it. But other than the movies they own (the ones not produced by Sony) and the Muppet Show sets, they hven't released all that much else.
Disney is foolish. They miss out on natural marketing tie ins. There is a brand new Muppet Movie in theaters. NOW is the time to release these old things as a promotional tie in. Release Muppet Classic Theater NOW while there is Muppet Interest (as well as Muppet Show Season 4....then tie in Season 5 with the DVD release of 'Most Wanted')

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I have a VHS tape I got from a thrift store, which I've viewed twice in about a year, because honestly it's not really that great of a special, but for what it is I think it's ok. I'm not going to watch it anytime soon, because when my VHS player broke down I had to rip it out of the machine, because it was inside, and though I fixed the tape inside of it, I'm afraid if I put it in my other VHS player (my only one now) it'll destroy that, and my TMM, GMC, MCC, MTI, MFS, and FTB tapes will be useless. Anyone I wouldn't exactly rush to the stores for the DTV, it's not really worth buying for a price above 5 bucks. I would, though, rush to the stores if they ever released The Muppets At Walt Disney World.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I have had "Muppet Classic Theater" on VHS for quite a while now. I think it's a great special- it doesn't get enough credit. I particularly enjoy the pairing of Gonzo and Rizzo again- they make for a great comedic team- the legacy of which generally ran from "The Muppet Christmas Carol" to "Muppet Classic Theater" to "Muppet Treasure Island" and to "Muppets From Space". (And perhaps to some degree on "Muppets Tonight!"). Their camaraderie was still there some in "It's A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie" too, if I recall correctly.
Anyway, I love that pairing and so for that alone, I enjoy this special. But I also like the literary adaptations (I'm definitely a fan of English and books in general, so that factor also makes it interesting for me.) There is the first appearance of Andy and Randy Pig in there. And we have mainstay Muppets like Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Rizzo and Robin starring in the stories. I'm always glad to see Robin included too. And the Elvis Muppets in "The Elves and the Shoemaker"- great! Love it! And while Gonzo and Rizzo hosted the whole thing, they also got roles appearing in the fairy tale stories.
And we also get to see a few other characters like Montague and Yolanda Rat along with Andy and Randy- and all the whatnots, of course.
There are also six original songs- one for each fairy tale! That's pretty neat too.
I don't watch it all the time or anything, but I have seen it a number of times and I do enjoy it. It's definitely worth having on DVD- I would welcome seeing a release of it soon. :smile::mad: :embarrassed::concern::shifty: