Fraggle Rock Animated

beaker

Reaction score
For poor kids like me who grew up on welfare and in the ghetto in the 1980's(heh), aside from going over to more well-to-do friends houses who had HBo...the Saturday morning Fraggle Rock show and the plethora of 82-86 era and 1988 Fraggle merchandise was all we had(FR began being reran on Disney channel by the early 90's on basic cable however)

I loved the Fraggle Rock cartoon. Heck thats why I bought the stand alone newer Fraggle Rock dvd cheap releases, as they have
the episodes on it.

Now here's the thing:

1. Why hasnt Muppet Babies been released on dvd?

2. Does anyone remember the pseudo Fraggle Rock spinoff, and very Fraggle Rockish "Scary Scary Monsters" franchise and show from JHC that was *suppose* to debut in 1998?

wwfpooh

Reaction score
1. Muppet Babies hasn't been released on DVD, because all of the references in the show all have their own unique copyright. Yes, I am sure George Lucas would allow his Star Wars references to be used, as he was a personal friend of Team Henson (the fact that Frank Oz originally performed Yoda would prove as much), but all the other references--such as Wizard of Oz, Star Trek, The Jetsons, et al--would need proper copyright handling and all that.

2. That show was a flop. It originally was going to be coupled with Muppet Babies (seeing as the familar closing theme is actually an instrumental version of that Monsters series), but because it failed so badly, it was scrapped and Muppet Babies was aired of its own accord.

Regarding the animated Fraggle Rock, it was neither a prequel (as Doc & Sprocket were in the show by its starting episode) or a sequel (as the Gorgs were still mean to the Fraggles & Doc still didn't believe that Fraggles existed). Instead, the series was more of a in-between show set during the timeline of the original show, considering that even some of the plots for the cartoon were outright borrowed from similar plotlines used in the original series.

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
No offence toward's the show, but they had a lot of bad designes (i mean seriously, go to muppet wiki, and compare the muppet cantus and the animated cantus and you'll see what i mean). to me, its not a bad series, but you know how Marjory said "you can not leave the magic,"? Well you can't duplicate it either, in my mind, nothing will be as good as the origional show. At least untill the movie comes out, then i might change my opinion.
:smile::smirk:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
you know how Marjory said "you can not leave the magic,"
Know it? Considering that was the overall theme for most of the series (that being to connect the four species--human, Fraggle, Doozer, and Gorg--together by showing how each must rely on the other), fans of the show LIVED it!

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
Know it? Considering that was the overall theme for most of the series (that being to connect the four species--human, Fraggle, Doozer, and Gorg--together by showing how each must rely on the other), fans of the show LIVED it!
Is that what they mean by "live by the rule of the rock"? or is that something else entirely?

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Is that what they mean by "live by the rule of the rock"? or is that something else entirely?
I don't really know. Only people like Jim himself could've explained it well enough, I think. Sadly, he was taken from us too soon. :frown:

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
Only people like Jim himself could've explained it well enough, I think. Sadly, he was taken from us too soon.
Ain't that the truth. Sometimes its hard to imagine that one person created (directly or indirectly) all of this. it's gonna be a sad day 9 days from now, as it was 18 years (right?) ago.
:smile: :stick_out_tongue: :big_grin:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
as it was 18 years (right?) ago
You are correct. It'll be the 18th anniversary of the passing of one of the most visionary and influential persons--I think--of the entire world & the creator of all things Muppet.

With that in mind, I'll probably end up soaking in anything Muppet I can get my hands on--especially the "More Than One Person" tribute--and will spend the entire day devoting my time to Jim & his creations (I do this already, but it'll be on overload in 9 days).

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
You know what would be cool, even though It won't happen, is in honer of his death, they play The Muppet Movie on that day on the Disney Channel. Or turn that block into a mini Muppet Show Marathon. that would be nice.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
You know what would be cool, even though It won't happen, is in honer of his death, they play The Muppet Movie on that day on the Disney Channel. Or turn that block into a mini Muppet Show Marathon. that would be nice.
Indeed it would be nice, but--as you said--it's very unlikely that such a thing would occur.