If Jim hadn't died in 1990

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I have though a whole lot about this before i posted what i think. I think that at the tme of Jim's death it was a testing time for the Muppets, and Jim. Jim had done two movies that where not Muppet relatd and they did not do so well. Now don't get me wrong I think that the Dark Cristal and Laberath are great storys, and just outstanding movies. That however was not what people thought when they came out. I think that is a shame because Jim was very creative and for me to say what i am going to next pains me a little. I think looking back at Jim's succses and down falls he should have focased mostly on the Muppets, and not on other films. I think that is why the Jim Henson Hour did not do as well, because of the other things that where not Muppet relatd.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I often pin a random Muppet bean on my back pack. You don't know the number of people that misidentify Animal as Grover, Oscar, Elmo or even Gonzo for some reason! :concern:
I have an Animal shirt and people often ask me if that's Elmo (though one thought it was Cookie Monster).

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Where do you hear people just accociate Jim with Kermit and SS?

I don't think any of his other projects would of been a famous if people thought like that.
You'd be surprised how many people I talk to on a daily basis who only see Jim Henson as a "children's entertainer" and as kids stuff. They have NO idea of his early more adult oriented work, the clever humor on the Muppet Show or in later projects. It's sad.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
What makes me cringe is there are many I have met in their early 20s that primarily link Jim Henson with the Muppet Babies cartoon show! :sympathy:

I admit that it's not my favorite project, but it has its place. But certainly not as Jim Henson's main achievement. He had little to do with the program.

There are many ignorant people out there when it comes to Muppets and Jim Henson. A fair amount of blame falls to the Henson Company. They dropped the ball in terms of marketing and brand promotion after Jim died. Disney is building that up. That's what they're best at and why Jim wanted to sell to the mouse in the first place. :big_grin:

I often pin a random Muppet bean on my back pack. You don't know the number of people that misidentify Animal as Grover, Oscar, Elmo or even Gonzo for some reason! :concern:

If people are having trouble identifying Muppets, how can anyone expect them to take notice of the much lesser-known projects of Jim Henson - as wonderful as they are! I’m glad Neca is making affordable, well-received Labyrinth and Dark Crystal figures. Those slipped through the ignorance of retailers that keeps Fraggle items off store shelves.

I have a feeling that Jim’s legacy will grow in the near future. I see some of that potential happening now with the bio film, the Designs and Doodles book and other Jim-themed concepts.
I hear ya. People who are diehard fans like us on this site don't understand that the general public don't know that much about the Muppets. I know people to this day who still get confused about which one is Bert and which one is Ernie! I work for a film photography archive and one guy who claims to know "everything about television" came to ask me to identify a picture of Cookie Monster because he didn't know which character it was.

I know most of the people I work with think I'm nuts because I put Jim Henson on such a high "pedestal" and love the Muppets and his work in general.

It's interesting you mentioned Muppet Babies. I'd love to see the shows on DVD as I used to watch it religiously up to a certain point but never saw the later seasons with animated versions of Statler and Waldorf and Bean Bunny

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I have though a whole lot about this before i posted what i think. I think that at the tme of Jim's death it was a testing time for the Muppets, and Jim. Jim had done two movies that where not Muppet relatd and they did not do so well. Now don't get me wrong I think that the Dark Cristal and Laberath are great storys, and just outstanding movies. That however was not what people thought when they came out. I think that is a shame because Jim was very creative and for me to say what i am going to next pains me a little. I think looking back at Jim's succses and down falls he should have focased mostly on the Muppets, and not on other films. I think that is why the Jim Henson Hour did not do as well, because of the other things that where not Muppet relatd.
I had a very short and good chat with a customer the other day about this same thought. We were talking about Will Ferel, and how when he does a comody it is really great and very funny. Then he will go and do a drama and it stinks. The cutsmoer slams her hand on the counter and says "I just wish people would make up there mind what they want to be!" I had to agree with her, and state i knew what she was talking about. I think that Jim should have focased more on the Muppets and making them even more better and things like that. Just like I think JHC Should do to.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I think he probably would have tried doing more non-Muppet projects. Some might have been accepted, some not. Either way, I would commend him for that, it's good to take chances and try new things, rather than staying with what's safe. Though of course, I would also hope he would concentrate on the Muppets as well. :smile:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
The cutsmoer slams her hand on the counter and says "I just wish people would make up there mind what they want to be!" I had to agree with her, and state i knew what she was talking about. I think that Jim should have focased more on the Muppets and making them even more better and things like that. Just like I think JHC Should do to.
Well, I can agree with you that some people just only need to stick to swhat ther good at and have some focous because it just doesn't help their carse to do othing tings that they don't do so well. But I think that one of Jim's sranghts was being ablle to do a number of diffentet things a and projeclts that work on many levels. And it's true that some on the lessons meant for children on not only for them and they are not the only ones who can benifit form it, either It's true that the Muppets were universal band and copmplicated. But it jut sounds like Jim maybe wanted to get more of the darker side out of him at the time.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
The cutsmoer slams her hand on the counter and says "I just wish people would make up there mind what they want to be!" I had to agree with her, and state i knew what she was talking about. I think that Jim should have focased more on the Muppets and making them even more better and things like that. Just like I think JHC Should do to.
Well, I can agree with you that some people just only need to stick to what their good at and have some focus because it just doesn't help their case to do other tings that they don't do so well. But I think that one of Jim's strengths was being able to do a number of different things a and projects that work on many levels. And it's true that some on the lessons meant for children on not only for them and they are not the only ones who can benefit form it, either It's true that the Muppets were universal band and complicated. But it jut sounds like Jim maybe wanted to get more of the darker side out of him at the time.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Why the boxes?

I don't think anyone has to be just one thing. The world is so big, there's a lot to experience. That's what I see in Jim Henson's work and I'm glad for it. He knew who he was and kept exploring. :search:

Life is too difficult and brief to follow someone else's arbitrary expectations. It's best to go with your gut. Fly or flop there's a satisfaction in the journey and knowledge obtained in getting there. :wisdom:

Sure I always wanted Jim and the Henson Company to come out with more Muppet stuff - that's my favorite entertainment property. But there are many worlds that Jim had in his head. I am thankful for all of them and that the Henson Company is continuing that tradition set forth by its founder. :smile: