Muppet Kubrick Collection

karamazov80

Reaction score
Kubricks, Palz, Minimates...it really is a brand thing. There's nothing wrong with the original Kubricks, but if they were to make a more extensive line of these with a different or off-brand I'd consider them. It really is a quality thing too and I don't see the Mates any better than the original Kubricks. Actually the Kubrick company gets a little more creative with paint schemes and sculpts than I've seen elsewhere and the articulation is the same. :wink:
It is true that, in terms of block figures, it is mostly about the style that you like best. Some like really exaggerated, large heads, some like the Lego style, some like more posability, etc. And one thing that Kubricks has over all the others is their licenses--Lost, Muppets, Metal Gear Solid, Star Wars, Disney, etc. They are all over the place! However, the articulation is not even a contest. Kubrick articulation is pretty much the same as Legos--neck, shoulders, waist, thighs, wrists (though they do have ball joints, which is a definite improvement over Legos). However, Minimates have articulation at the knees, elbows, and ankles, too, which is a pretty significant difference in terms of posability. Another drawback to Kubricks, I should mention, is that you have to import them, so they are much more expensive than domestically produced figures. . .and some series (I'm not sure if it is all of them) are released in blind boxes with super-rare variants, whereas with Minimates you know what you are getting, and variants are one per case. This is a Japanese vs. American thing, I think (the Japanese love their blind boxes), but it is another difference between the two. And a final difference is that Minimates are made to be mixed and matched around. They almost always have faces under their masks (sometimes hairpieces, too), and they often have inter-changeable outfits when relevant (like the C3 Batman/Bruce Wayne and the forthcoming Avengers and Iron Man sets).

edit: for comic book figure lovers, though, there really is no contest:
http://www.diamondselecttoys.com/article.asp?ai=70043
http://www.diamondselecttoys.com/article.asp?ai=69917
(one of these links isn't working right for some reason, but they are doing a Classic, Avengers #1 box set which rocks something fierce)

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
:smile: I like all of these types.

:zany: The Kubrick parts (arms, legs, clothes, heads, torsos) are made to swap-out with one another. I created a "Brundlefly" Muppet (The Fly reference) and swear I heard it say, "Kill me now!" He he.

:eek: I just got my Beaker today so I'll be snapping some photos of it soon. I have considered making some very simple, minimal sets for the collection. Something to match the style of the Kubricks.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
That's cool frogboy, can't wait to see that Beaker one.

I might want to do like a whole Disney group including the Muppets and Nightmare Before Christmas in there of Kubricks I just think that would look pretty cool, some cost a ton of money :wink:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Heeeeeeere's Beaker (meep!)

:eek: Here's the latest snapshot I took a minute ago. Still kind of a crude photo. I'll take another later. The only one I really want now is that blue Twiddlebug. It's hard to see Elmo in the photo, but that might have been passive aggressive on my part. :insatiable:

JJandJanice

Reaction score
You know Frogboy, you really have made me want some of those, to the point where I cave in and bought that Gonzo one, :concern: . Couldn't help it

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I'm such a bad influence. :concern:

I really like the Gonzo sculpt. It definitely uses the Palisades work as a model. That's kind of what got me to want them in the first place. It's hard to find good-looking Gonzo product. But man, that Beaker was expensive! :eek:

shimauta

Reaction score
Oh and just so I know too there are no plans on making more Muppet Kubricks, right? Cause it sure would be awesome to have Rowlf and Janice
I have scoured their website and there do not seem to be any plans in the immediate future for more Muppet figures. Here is a link to their online store with upcoming releases including Indiana Jones, Star Wars, and Sweeney Todd.

http://www.medicomtoy.co.jp/vshop/catalog/reserves.php

I will keep an eye on the site though for more Muppet releases!

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I'm such a bad influence. :concern:

I really like the Gonzo sculpt. It definitely uses the Palisades work as a model. That's kind of what got me to want them in the first place. It's hard to find good-looking Gonzo product. But man, that Beaker was expensive! :eek:
I bet it was expensive, I've seen some of the "serect" or chase Kubrick figures go for some huge bucks there on Ebay, it's pretty crazy, but neat

Drtooth

Reaction score
Although technically speaking, Kubricks copied the LEGO figure style.

Indeed they did. However, it can be said that Kubrick (or their company Mediacom) took the idea, made it stylish, and started a trend. Sort of like how Bobbleheads existed long before Funko started making them left and right.

Actually, I take it back about not liking them. more like most of them didn't really appeal to me. Clearly due to some of the licenses that the other companies had.

But then again, the only company I think really made terrible block figures was Playmates, and their Simpson's Blocko line. Talk about your disasters. Clearly the Simpsons would have been a license that Mediacom, or anyone else would have taken and run with. But since they wanted to stop any other company from making them, cutting into the Simpons action figure market, they made them all themselves. And a terrible job at that.

Personally, I have to give Mezco Credit for the Mez-its line. They really took the idea, and made it their own. The sculpted heads, especially. They clearly were the inbetween of block figure and mini-action figure.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Personally, I have to give Mezco Credit for the Mez-its line. They really took the idea, and made it their own. The sculpted heads, especially. They clearly were the inbetween of block figure and mini-action figure.
Oh I bought the Edward Scissorhands of Mez-its years ago, I wasn't really thinking about collecting block figures, I was at the time just wanted it cause I love that movie. Now I'm looking at it and re-loving it, :big_grin:, I really like the Vincent Price one, awesome, just awesome.