The MuppetCast - Show #56 - Digits, Giants, and Slippers

minor muppetz

Reaction score
One thing I find odd is that in the podcast, you mention that Ted Danson played against type by trying to be funny. What did you mean by this? I don't know whether he is a comedian or just an actor who has appeared in comedies, but I thought he was funny on Cheers,e ven though he was a staright man to the others. And I thought he was a straight man in the clip provided. I don't see a difference.

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
Well apparently, in that quote from the show I was demonstrating the value of using bad jokes, by inadvertently telling one :smile:

Ta da!

The Captain

Reaction score
A great episode Steve!

You inspired me to rewatch the first few episodes of JHH before listening to your reviews (I tend to only listen to the first bit of your reviews if I haven't seen them first as I don't want to know what happens at the end!) and thought I'd done well.

Sadly the episodes on my discs seemed to have a different episode 2, the Soldier and Death one, with Fozzie making an appearance in the studio segments. Didn't spoil my enjoyment of the podcast at all though, just need to do my research better in future.

I haven't been the biggest fan of JHH in the past. It's not that I don't like it, but I found the Digit character a bit too odd and some of the human guests mean nothing too me.

Louie Anderson for example is an unknown in the UK - in my experience anyway - and yet here he is taking centre(ish) stage in the show.

Still, the Space Guy sketch was typically bonkers, loved the space lobsters.

I still haven't watched all of the original Muppet Show episodes (not since their first run on UK telly anyway, and I was a bit young to get what was going on in any detail) so I have been wanting to get through those before JHH, Muppets Tonight, etc.

I'm going to have another go at watching the series right the way through as the studio sections grew on me more this time and the appearance of Gonzo in my second episode was superb.

There's so much out there for you to cover over the next few years, it's going to be fun coming along for the ride!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Listening to the audio from the Linda Lavin episode, it's interesting how, when Wayne and Wanda returned, Scooter asked Kermit if he recognized these voices, and Wanda was the first to say something. Ironic since she was performed by Kathy Mulen there instead of Eren Ozker. It's also a shame that we don't ever know why the Muppets mistakenly thought that Kermit's birthdya was during that show. It's odd that Kermit didn't tell the others right away (though I don't think they gave him a chance).

And it's also sad that the birthday episode didn't include appearances by the Sam and Friends or Sesame Street Muppets.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I haven't been the biggest fan of JHH in the past. It's not that I don't like it, but I found the Digit character a bit too odd and some of the human guests mean nothing too me.
I have ben thinking about the shows guets stars lately, and I've been wondering how many of them were even A-list stars back in 1989. I figure Ted Danson was, but what about the others? I saw the show when it was on the air, but didn't know any guest stars name suntil I saw an episode list, and I think Ted Danson was the only one I knew of before seeing the lsit or any episodes (the same cna be said about most of The Muppet Show guets stars and maybe even half the Muppets Tonight guests). It's hard to believe that people who work for The Today Show or any news program would be considered A-list. I don't know how big Luie Anderson, Smokey Robinson, Bobby McFerrin, or K.D. Lang were at the time, and I didn't know until recently that Buster Poindexter was just a character played by an actor. I thought that was the actors real/ stage name.