This is how out of touch the company is...

MrsPepper

Reaction score
The part I don't understand is this: the JHC has taken stuff off YouTube before, so how could a whole movie (that is available for purchase in stores!) have lasted this long? And what would be the reasoning for leaving The Dark Crystal, when both of those old 1960's Wilson's Meats Meeting Films were taken down from YouTube? I went to show them to a friend one day and they were gone. Fans can't see them anywhere else, and I doubt it was harming anybody.

So the situation doesn't make much sense.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
So the situation doesn't make much sense.
A lot of stuff regarding YouTube doesn't make since. It could be because the site is still reeling from the Google buyout, perhaps.

armslength

Reaction score
Henson is aware of stuff on Youtube and as long as it's something not otherwise available tends to take a lax attitude (Karen Falk, when giving presentations will even refer people to youtube with kind of a wink or finger over lips) - but obviously this can vary from person to person since a company is made up of several people which might explain why the Wilsons Meats films were pulled (could also be a case of if someone complains about it, then they have to act on it.)

(Now mind you that's just Henson Co - couldn't say what Disney or Sesame Workshop's attitudes are)

Still that doesn't explain why Henson would allow a product that is not only available commercially but also in print and often rereleased in various media to be on YT for so long. I know years back (before the Disney sale), Henson used to actively monitor ebay for possible copyright infringement auctions. I guess since the Disney sale and downsizing of the company, they probably don't have someone actively monitoring things like Ebay (given the number of knockoff Muppet puppets on Ebay lately!) or Youtube but for things like these examples, they really should. Otherwise they probably only take any action if someone alerts them to something and makes a specific complaint.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Right and by then, it'd be too late and they'd be losing money if people watch one of their movies for free and downloaded via many converter sites.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
A lot of stuff regarding YouTube doesn't make since. It could be because the site is still reeling from the Google buyout, perhaps.
Naw, I seriously doubt that has anything to do with it. That was a long time ago and there have been very few changes to the actual YouTube site. This goes back to Henson. Personally I don't mind; I hate it when they take off stuff you can't see anywhere else.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
But TDC is commercially available, though! Thus, you can see it by buying in stores!