Saturday Morning memories thread

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Oh! You meant reality programming. Well besides like Wild And Crazy Kids, you're right about it not working.
We mean the Big Brother, Survivor, American Idol, and Deal or No Deal kind. XD

Xerus

Reaction score
Here's my take..

1) Hire network programming directors that want to take a chance, win or lose. Not just a bunch of cheap studio run ditto head employees that put up lip service TV/EI reruns from their cable networks.

2) There are a lot of cartoonists out there, well established ones, that have excellent ideas. Try calling them up and asking them for assistance. One of them will come up with something that will fit your guidelines and will become a mild success.

3) More superhero programs. Spidey and TMNT seem to be the biggest things we got this season. I mean, Batman and Legion may be gone, but try some other comic companies. If Nicktoons didn't get first dibs on the new Iron Man and X-Men cartoons, you could have had something there.

4) Kids don't like reality shows about other kids. Stop doing that. The Adreniline project was a humongous failure.

And 5) If all else fails, sell off to an up and coming company that has great ideas and cartoons all ready to air somewhere... if only someone can actually air them.
Yes, those seem like good ways to make Saturday Mornings better again. I did hear news about a new Garfield series coming soon, so hopefully that's a good sign.

And I agree with no more kids' reality shows. Reality shows already seemed to have taken over prime time, we don't really need them conquering Saturday mornings too.

Also, all the cartoons Disney seems to be making today are about kid issues. In fact, the late 90's One Saturday Morning claimed it was 5 hours of summer once a week, but all they mostly showed were cartoons about kids in school. It was like dealing with the pressures of school on the weekends.

And I do like some superhero cartoons, especially ones with original regular heroes and villains. So they're making a new Iron Man cartoon, eh? I figured after the live action Iron Man movie, they would make a new cartoon series of it. Just like they did with the Spider Man and Fantastic Four movies.

It did seem like in the early 90's, cartoons started to become original and cool again. Mainly because those cartoons came from the minds of cartoonists instead of toys, movies, fads, and executive thinking. Like John K's, Ren and Stimpy and Savage Steve Holland's and Bill Kopp's Eek the Cat series. Cartoon Network let cartoonists create great new ideas like Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Lab, Cow and Chicken, and the Powerpuff Girls. Also Tiny Toons and Animaniacs were really great, I think mainly because each episode costs millions of dollars to make and they offered us such sophisticated humor along with other neat and musical skits.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Like John K's, Ren and Stimpy and Savage Steve Holland's and Bill Kopp's Eek the Cat series.
And Johnen Vasquez's Invader Zim. XD

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I'll share my cartoon memories.

I remember getting up in the 80's and early 90's on saturday mornings to watch cartoons.

I remember specifically turning to my local abc affiliate station to watch shows like "The New Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh", "The Real Ghostbusters", "The Wizard Of Oz", "The Bugs Bunny And Tweety Show", "Darkwing Duck", "BeetleJuice", "Cowboys Of Moo Mesa", and the live action revamped show "Land Of The Lost".

But I did watch CBS with shows like "Peewee's Play House", "Garfield And Friends", and more specifically "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles".

Also I watched NBC and shows like "Captain N: The Game Master" which specially showed the Super Mario Bros 3 cartoons as well as Super Mario World cartoons.

Hey, for more information, checkout Wikipedia's United States television schedules. They have weekday, evening, and weekend television programming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Television_schedules

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yes, those seem like good ways to make Saturday Mornings better again. I did hear news about a new Garfield series coming soon, so hopefully that's a good sign.
Oh yeah. i'm actually surprised they're still going through with that. I thought they actually planned a series of DTV features (ala Futurama) instead. But if they can get this series on TV somehow, that will be great. Unfortunately, it'll go straight to cable.

Which brings me to... stop letting cable get first pick of cartoons. I know it's crazy and far fetched, but if someone can get something a cable network would air once or twice, and then toss away at a 5 am slot, and put it on CW4kids or something, they could give the cable networks a run for their money. Skunk Fu? Blehhh!

And I agree with no more kids' reality shows. Reality shows already seemed to have taken over prime time, we don't really need them conquering Saturday mornings too.
It's a good thing most networks stayed away from it. other than NBC's Discovery Kids and 4KidsTV, I really haven't seen anything like that. But it's ratings poison. I really gotta post the ratings for Adreniline Project. Thye were abysmal no matter what time slot they tried it on.

Also, all the cartoons Disney seems to be making today are about kid issues. In fact, the late 90's One Saturday Morning claimed it was 5 hours of summer once a week, but all they mostly showed were cartoons about kids in school. It was like dealing with the pressures of school on the weekends.
But then again, they were pretty good. I especially thought Pepper Ann was impressive. All the time people are clamoring for a positive female role model, and they completely ignored what was under their noses. it was a show with cross gender appeal. And while Doug by Disney was inferior to Nick's version, it was still entertaining.

Disney tosses out a bunch of random cartoons to make a name for themselves now, and only care about those lame live action shows. Even someone older could have identified with Recess (which I though was a brilliant little show, and I loved the movie).

Oddly enough, Disney has had more cartoon programming than live action programming lately, but since they haven't had a single hit cartoon (and I could almost say, who could blame them, but a couple were pretty decent) they treat the cartoons as second class programming. All the while, they hype up and trot out the same formulaic Hanna Montana show.

Of course, lemme just say this. I doubt ANY of these kids will wind up like Even Stevens (Can't spell his name, not even gonna try). i mean, he's Indiana Jones's new sidekick. What are Zack and Cody gonna do when they ain't cute anymore, and their voices crack?

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
*singing* Poo Bear, Winnie the Poo Bear... *singing* I've always loved that song. I'd stop what I was doing just to listen :smile:

Anyone ever see iCarly? Now that's some quality acting :stick_out_tongue:

I think making Saturdays as awesome as they once were would be very difficult if attempted. Kids have their iPods, bittorrents, multiple channels that air cartoons, etc. that I didn't. So it would be hard to "compete" with all of that. Still, I'd give almost anything to have that all back.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
*singing* Poo Bear, Winnie the Poo Bear... *singing* I've always loved that song. I'd stop what I was doing just to listen :smile:
*cue-ing my user-namesake's Saturday Morning (and weekday mornings on the vintage Disney Channel before Playhouse Disney) theme song that people stopped to listen to, as aforementioned*

And while Doug by Disney was inferior to Nick's version, it was still entertaining
And Disney was just about ready to have Doug & Pattie finally hook up--after Nick constantly put it off--before the plug was pulled.

*still recalls the theme song of Doug, which was good, no matter the simplistic Nick version or the jazzed-up Disney version*