Weinstein rolls with Fraggle Rock movie

Mupp

Reaction score
That said, when I saw the Last Airbender, I was sitting in front of a group of negative cultural stereotypes talking all the way through it. Not loudly, but seriously... SERIOUSLY. And these were adults, man. :eek:

But really... Bolt was murder to watch with those brats behind me. Kept touching me like they were idiots. And the parents did almost nothing. And they just ran around. I hate yuppie parents with a buzzillion kids that can't even discipline them.
I know exactly what you mean. I have had many bad movie theater experiences as well involving kids.

I tend to see movies in the evening, there aren't always as many kids in the audience at that time, and even when there are, they are usually a bit more quiet...Sometimes.

I remember once when I saw an afternoon showing of Cars, there were kids being rowdy the whole time, and at one point a parent started walking their child up and down the stairs to calm them down. :mad:

Yes, sometimes adults can be just as bad.

beaker

Reaction score
We're not negative nancy's, we are realists. I remember being on MC in the fall of 1998 when Brian Henson announced a new Dark Crystal film. 12 years later, despite the buzz about a new Dark Crystal film being "in the works", it still seems far from becoming a reality for now. Fraggle Rock is a relatively obscure property, if you're coming at it from a marketing standpoint. And JHC hasn't even begun to really do anything to generate the long road of buzz that Disney has had to do leading to the new Muppet film. Yes, they released season 4 and the FR animated dvd. And Red made a few appearances. And there's some FR merchandise out there. But there's no youtube or online sketches. There's the great comic series, but the actual puppets are a no show

Is the "Doozer" kids cgi cartoon even still coming out?

On another note, has Henson even approved any draft of the script yet? I forget if they have. I remember that they were incredibly involved with the action figures! You wouldn't expect that level of commitment especially from such a small group of people on a simple product, but I know they have clear opinions on their properties and won't put their stamp of approval on anything they aren't happy about. I remember a weeks-long debate about Mavin Suggs' loafers! If Ken, Palisades and I had it our way he would have sported some thicker-healed platform shoes. I really wanted to see the repaint Suggs wearing clear platform shoes with goldfish in them! That would have never happened.
I have to say, looking back...I'm rather ashamed at how so many people(including even myself at times) behaved in that 2001-2004 period. Ken was nice enough to grace the forums, and people just seemed to criticize everything to the nano degree. While it was unprecedented for a company to come online and interact so much with fans, it almost felt like fans were being way too demanding. The fact so many of the Muppet show and other related characters got made, to such deal, with the degree of packins and acessories in such a short 2-3 year timespan is amazing. Though one can only imagine what magic could have been made had Palisades been allowed to continue the Muppet line just one more year into late 2005/early 2006.

beaker

Reaction score
The first theatrical film I remember seeing was at the age of 5 when my parents took me to see the Muppet Movie in 1979. I was well behaved for the entire movie even though the Swedish Chef bit with the film breaking in the middle of it kind of caught me by surprise. It's not age, it's not content. Parents basically suck at teaching kids how to behave in public and will wait for a tantrum to die out instead of removing their hellion from the environment.

I actually want kids to go to movies, but not if they're going to treat it like they're watching some Dora video at home. Kids should behave in a theater as they would in church or any other such meeting place. I'm not a religious fellow, so to me movies are my church. I go every week and get to learn something new from the minds of creative people...or at least have fun mocking a film that's terrible. That happens too, but it's the shared experience with our friends and other audience members that make it magical. I hope they still have theaters by the time Fraggle Rock comes out! :coy:
I thankfully cannot recall ever being annoyed by children at a movie theater. Parents should just leave and ask for a refund if their kid starts screaming or becoming unruly.

Also it puzzles me why children are allowed in R rated movies.
I mean I can see for maybe a soft R like the Matrix, but even then it should be kids at least 12 or older. Babies/toddlers/kids should NEVER be allowed in an R film, so to me the whole "accompanied by a parent or guardian stipulation" clause of R films make no sense.

I was always a well behaved kid, taken in early by the awe and magic of films to where I never felt the need to whine or fuss. Even crappy films seemed amazing, as growing up super poor it was a nice treat to go to the show. My first movie I remember
conciously was Popeye and On Golden Pond in 1981, but the first movie I remember all the way through was ET(when I was 4) in 1982. By the time I was 5 in 1983 I was regularly going to movies and was had the consciousness to appreciate movies in full, like when I saw Return of the Jedi at that time. Im grateful to have gotten to see Muppets Take Manhattan, Goonies and Never Ending Story a year later. (Sadly it seems a lot kids these days in their ADHD addled minds are too ruined by cgi to enjoy good animatronic/puppetry/matte paintings/practical effects)

The REAL problem with a ruined movie experience is not kids or their parents. It's high schoolers. I cant tell ya how many times Ive had a good movie experience ruined by goofing off kids and or high school couples or squabbling couples.
This is why I now prefer just catching a matinee on an off day like tuesday, as its mostly the indie/foreign going elderly crowd who are always respectful. (Only time I dont mind talking or chit chat is during comedies or painfully bad movies at bargain cinemas where the whole audience realizes its a poopy film)

That said, when I saw the Last Airbender, I was sitting in front of a group of negative cultural stereotypes talking all the way through it. Not loudly, but seriously... SERIOUSLY. And these were adults, man. :eek:

But really... Bolt was murder to watch with those brats behind me. Kept touching me like they were idiots. And the parents did almost nothing. And they just ran around. I hate yuppie parents with a buzzillion kids that can't even discipline them.
The fact you'd even see Last Airbender confuses and saddens me...unless it was for free or something. Airbender seemed like one of a bunch of stinky action summer films that came out this year.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
The fact you'd even see Last Airbender confuses and saddens me...unless it was for free or something. Airbender seemed like one of a bunch of stinky action summer films that came out this year.
in his defense i saw it too, but i was a fan of the show and was very dissapointed in the movie...i agree with the R rated movies a parents thing, out of the few movies i do go see in theaters im surprised to see toddlers there(Wanted,Watchmen,300)

Drtooth

Reaction score
I was dragged to it, actually... but I was willing to give it a chance, even though I didn't see the cartoon. I'd actually stutter to even call it an action flick. All I can say it's a glowing example of why M. Night Shamalan should NEVER EVER EVER and I'm talking ever step behind a camera ever again ever. He got lucky with that "I see Dead People" thing and Signs, but none of his movies after that were any good at all. Sure, he claims to love the show it was based off of, but they should have got someone who could do an action kung Fu movie to direct the thing. The kung fu was poorly filmed and only fairly well choreographed. And it was like (and I'm sure like none of you will get this)... it was like Harmony Gold somehow got their hands on the entire first season of Avatar and edited it down for a 90 minute -2 hour movie. And really, if you get the Harmony Gold reference, you KNOW what I mean.

HOWEVER, it was one of those I like what they were trying to do, if only it had a different director type of deals. It really wanted to be a good movie. It really did. But Shabbadoo ruined it from script to direction. And for the record, who's the guy that says serious acting always has to be wooden? I'll take a movie made by fans (or sort of fans) of the show who actually watched the thing and know the characters and somehow manage to make a C grade product... basically getting everything right the wrong way over trash like Inspector Gadget, Underdog, or Dragon Ball where the people behind the film think they can watch one episode halfway through writing it and getting everything they possibly can get wrong and make a crap project anyway. or worse... the Smurfs, putting them in modern day.

The fact that the Avatar characters didn't pop out of the TV show and try to get some whining little kid to feel good about themselves almost deserves an Oscar. I'd hate to see a movie 10-20 years down the line where Ang is trying to bend water in a toilet and the other characters are stunned by MP3 players. Shudder...

It just goes to prove a point. No matter how you make a movie based on a cartoon series, no one manages to get it right. And even when they do, it gets no respect. Like Popeye. Dangit. Popeye was a BRILLIANT film. it was closer to the REAL Thimble Theater Popeye than those cartoons where he just eats spinach and punches out Bluto to get Olive. Anyone who read the original comics would appreciate the film.

Mupp

Reaction score
hehehe...

So, I guess the point to all of this is that most of us feel that the Fraggle movie is not going be happening anytime soon. (If at all)

The same goes for The Dark Crystal sequel.

Its a real shame.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I have Airbender on my Netflix queue, but couldn't justify seeing it in the theater. I'm not really a fan of the program so the changes probably wouldn't bother me. I just think it's funny to hear the audible groan any time M. Night Shyamalan's name flashes across the screen in a preview. His name only has cache with an ever thinning herd of followers. I appreciated his first three films, but then he just totally lost it.

Onto the Fraggles again, I still don't understand the level of production pessimism from folk who are usually so positive about everything else. Right now nothing's happening and there's no news, so I don't really think we can take that as a positive or a negative. Maybe this is one of those glass-half-full-or-empty sort of riddles. I choose to see the glass as merely half.

Mupp

Reaction score
Onto the Fraggles again, I still don't understand the level of production pessimism from folk who are usually so positive about everything else. Right now nothing's happening and there's no news, so I don't really think we can take that as a positive or a negative. Maybe this is one of those glass-half-full-or-empty sort of riddles. I choose to see the glass as merely half.
It just seems like the odds are against it at this point. After reading Corey's most recent blog posts, I do not have much hope at the moment. Things seem rather grim.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It just seems like the odds are against it at this point. After reading Corey's most recent blog posts, I do not have much hope at the moment. Things seem rather grim.
Yeah, I admit that Cory's posts aren't encouraging, but that is just one party's perspective. He is slated to be the director, but he's not the first person to be attached to the project. It's gone through many hands and could go through some more. This movie is still in development. Weinstein could be doing any number of things behind closed doors. They might be reassembling the project with another team or they could be playing their cards close to their chest so that no more news is leaked until it's time. The truth is that nobody knows what's going on. Personally I hope Cory is still attached and will shoot the film the way he's been talking about for some time, but any speculation right now is premature until the next news bit comes along.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have Airbender on my Netflix queue, but couldn't justify seeing it in the theater. I'm not really a fan of the program so the changes probably wouldn't bother me. I just think it's funny to hear the audible groan any time M. Night Shyamalan's name flashes across the screen in a preview. His name only has cache with an ever thinning herd of followers. I appreciated his first three films, but then he just totally lost it.
I actually never got to see the program, and have heard nothing but good things about it. And I hear the movie is pretty close to what the show is like, but again... Harmony Gold. Might as well explain that. 1980's company that dubbed animes and usually either spliced 2 shows into each other, or spliced an entire series or season of a series into a movie, and connected everything with endless narration. Basically it felt exactly like breezing through a season or so of a show in a 2 hour period would feel
It is a good LOOKING film, though. It could have been a good film all the way around if Shabbadoo hired someone else to be a director, and just sat with a producer credit. And again, why does EVERYONE think that serious dramatic acting is wooden acting? As for M Night Shaggyfromscoobydoo goes, well, it happens. A young upstart director will inevitably and invariably become an old fart or a hack... Lucas, Speilberg, Zermeckis and his HIDEOUS motion capture devices.

Overall, at least the guy watched the cartoon series. I at least gave him credit for that. Inspector Gadget got EVEYTHING possible wrong. not even the catchphrase (S was missing from Wowsers) or the town name (Riverton? They mention the name of the dang city in almost every episode. it's Metro City, dagnabbit!). Underdog was so bad, the creator was upset with it. Dragon Ball was only made because Fox's option was about to run out, and they didn't want another Watchmen type rights battle. But hey, as if anyone actually wants to do a Dragon Ball movie. It's sad when illegal, unlicensed Hong Kong studios get a better product out there than an official one. Still wish Toriyama and Toei blocked it.

I want to have some optimism, but I can't. Again, Hoodwinked 2 shot out more flares than could be ignored. They're sitting on a completed movie, what makes anyone think they'll get up and get one that's not even in preproduction yet anytime soon. Even if this does start shooting, the earliest we'd expect it is in 2013. And that's when 90's stuff comes back in fashion and someone makes a terrible Doug movie.