Weinstein rolls with Fraggle Rock movie

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's good. I had a feeling it would be out this month at some point, now I don't have to worry about it not showing up.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I seem to recall back in 2005, shortly after The Muppets' Wizard of Oz aired and the Hensons were doing some big (for them) things for the 50th anniversary, someone on here or Tough Pigs said that it seemed like Disney handling the Muppets had little to no promise at all meanwhile the JHC was announcing big news in the way of PotDC, this project, MirrorMask was a few weeks away from release (why is it so easy to get that movie made but not two films based on established franchises?), HIT Entertainment seemed to be the company to finally give us obscure Henson goodies. They had tons of promise, then it all came to a screeching halt while Disney has a new Muppet movie coming out in 6 months and tons of other plans. What's Henson done? A movie too artsy for it's own good, a moderately popular show using the HDPS and a bland outsourced CG shows. All that Henson has going for them now is Henson Alternative and even that does next to nothing, just improv shows and TV pilots that don't get picked up. I'm sorry, but I'm abandoning ship. This movie is never getting made. Weinsteins are a huge fail of a movie studio.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Back to those Weinheads, looks like Hoodwinked Too got crushed at the box office. Also, Scre4m is having some tepid numbers. :sympathy:
A) Fixed your link in the quote

B) I didn't expect a movie that they have been sitting on for over a year that had all sorts of problems getting released, then getting released so close to when Hop and Rio are still in theaters to do well

C) I really DUG this movie, going in knowing that someone tinkered around with it. But I'm guessing the first one was better. Though I DID love the train scene AND the Yodelers.

D) HA! Yeah, we REALLY needed another Scream, didn't we?

E) if Weinsuck keeps having flops, maybe they'll go bankrupt soon enough and the FR movie will go to someone who wants it.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
E) if Weinsuck keeps having flops, maybe they'll go bankrupt soon enough and the FR movie will go to someone who wants it.
Like Lionsgate, or Disney, or a group of ambitious film students, or a chimp with a video camera.

At this point, they all are more likely candidates. :coy:

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's clear to me that said company in question just DOESN'T know how to run a movie studio, and in trying to make things more mainstream, they're making things worse. Like I've always said, they just want to avoid making movies at any cost. They sat on Hoodwinked 2 for a year, the production company sued to get it out, and when it finally came out, it was released too close to Rio to really make a major difference. Thor's coming out Friday, and if it didn't get steamrolled last weekend, it's gonna be steamrolled now. Had it the cushy January/February spot last year like it was SUPPOSED to have, it may have stood a chance. Look at what the February release date did for that horrible Gnome movie. No competition! And this HAD to have been a million times funnier than that. Twitchy alone had me giggling.

Only problem I had with Hoodwinked is you could tell that some (of the worst) lines of dialogue seemed added in last minute, and obnoxiously hip (most of it was said in cutaway shots where you couldn't see character's mouths move). But the rest of the film outshone that stuff.

It does seem to be a matter of "Did we really need a Hoodwinked 2?", sure, but the poor promotion and odd release date of BOTH this and Scream 4 really hit these films hard. And again, conflicted. If Weinstine goes under, there's a chance someone else could do the Fraggle Movie. but then they'd need to shop it around AGAIN!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
As much as I hate Comcast, I'm actually thinking that Universal could be a good fit for the Fraggles. They need some good films lately and they like family fare. This could really be a feather in their cap and frog knows they promote the heck out of their movies. :coy:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't know... Wasn't Hop directed by someone Muppet fans don't really have any love for? They've only done 2, and so far they were both CGI films. I'd be willing to give Hop a shot on DVD if I could only use a Redbox (no credit card)... Dispicable Me was great. But still, they only had 2.

Now, if Corey could still use his script and still direct, I wouldn't mind (as long as NBCGECOMCASTUniversalWerefusetopaytaxes keeps its cross promoting noise to a bare minimum in the film), I'd be all for it. If they make a new one from scratch, and it's all about the Fraggles watching NBC's new line up, forget it.

The problem is the best studio for this project WOULD have to be low key. Had the company we have now managed the money BETTER, we could have seen an unfutzed around with gamble of a film.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I liked the first Hoodwinked and appreciated some moments in the sequel, but as a film it was pretty awful. I don't know if they hacked to death the screenplay or what the heck happened, but it wasn't even a remotely good film. I really wanted to like it and have supported Mr. Edwards vision for Fraggle Rock too, yet now I am concerned and maybe it does need to go into a different direction. I don't know. Maybe HW2 isn't an indicator. The brilliance of the first Hoodwinked was missing and that just makes me think that the Fraggle magic could be missing in the proposed screenplay. Waiting could be a good thing. I still wish that Cory Edwards could shoot a kick-butt Fraggle Movie tomorrow. There's just a little less confidence in me tonight.