What movie are you planning on, going to see?

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Still haven't seen the new Die Hard In Space.....I mean Star Trek movie yet......And I always saw trek movies on opening day....

Drtooth

Reaction score
]Speaking as someone who isn't a Star Trek fan, I really think people should give this movie a chance... even I kinda wanna see it (not half as much as Up, Transformers or Night at the Museum- again, only for Oscar). From what I heard...

Spoilerspoilerspoilerspoilerspoilerspoiler

The plot line of the movie is actually justified as an alternative time line of how everyone met anyway... they have a lot of alternate Time Lines in Star Trek, right?

End Spoiler

Plus, seems to me, when you actually spend that kind of budget on a movie based on an old property like that, they tend to care more about the source material. Unlike say, Dragon Ball which turned into a crappy teen drama mixed with a cheap Kung Fu movie. And you Trekkies think you have it so bad, has anyone seen any previews for Land of the Lost? Now, that one is disgraceful, and I don't even like LOTL.... they turned it into a Will Ferrel doing Will Ferrel stuff movie that mocks the source material, ala Brady Bunch.

Beauregard

Reaction score
By any chance are you thinking of Tony Shark aka Iron Man making a cameo in the last Hulk movie :confused:, that's in order to set up the "Hulk Buster Iron Man"
For the record, I just got finished watching the whole of the Incredible Hulk just to see the Stark cameo, and what an incredible waste of time THAT was. Honestly, that Hulk movie may be the most pointless movie ever made, ever. The villians had no motivation. Hulk had no real...anything. Liv Tyler who is usually superb was below par. the General just seemed odd with no specific motivation. Maybe its time they realise that Hulk just doesn't work in movies?

The first movie only worked because it was so artsy and actually like a living breathing comic book.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
]Speaking as someone who isn't a Star Trek fan, I really think people should give this movie a chance... even I kinda wanna see it (not half as much as Up, Transformers or Night at the Museum- again, only for Oscar). From what I heard...

Spoilerspoilerspoilerspoilerspoilerspoiler

The plot line of the movie is actually justified as an alternative time line of how everyone met anyway... they have a lot of alternate Time Lines in Star Trek, right?

End Spoiler

Plus, seems to me, when you actually spend that kind of budget on a movie based on an old property like that, they tend to care more about the source material. Unlike say, Dragon Ball which turned into a crappy teen drama mixed with a cheap Kung Fu movie. And you Trekkies think you have it so bad, has anyone seen any previews for Land of the Lost? Now, that one is disgraceful, and I don't even like LOTL.... they turned it into a Will Ferrel doing Will Ferrel stuff movie that mocks the source material, ala Brady Bunch.
Star Trek has used alternate timelines before. However, by the end of the movie or episode, things are reset and everyone is safe and sound in the regular timeline. But not in the new movies, because the suits want new trek stories with Kirk and company. (I'm getting tired of reboots)

The movie is designed for people who never cared for Star Trek before. I really don't know if people will get into the other Star Trek movies or television series after they see the new movie. They might think the older movies or the different television series are too boring.

On Land Of The Lost, it looks like a real craptastic movie to me, based on the trailers. I know I should go and see the film and judge it after that, but the previews really do look stupid. And as usual, Will Ferrel looks like he has half a brain cell. It worked well for him in Anchorman. But that movie came out 5 years ago.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Star Trek has used alternate timelines before. However, by the end of the movie or episode, things are reset and everyone is safe and sound in the regular timeline. But not in the new movies, because the suits want new trek stories with Kirk and company. (I'm getting tired of reboots)

The movie is designed for people who never cared for Star Trek before. I really don't know if people will get into the other Star Trek movies or television series after they see the new movie. They might think the older movies or the different television series are too boring.
And you have just uncovered the problem with every franchise reboot known to man. Let's say, we had a new movie with all the original cast... remember what happened with Indiana Jones, and how we had about a billion identical jokes about how old he was? And I really don't think a new TV show featuring yet another new crew would work either. Either way, we have one of 2 problems.... either they make a new version of a project that ticks off the old fans, or not do anything at all, and just let the franchise rot on reruns, and formulaic reunion specials and retrospectives that use mostly footage of said reruns.... you know, with a 5 old scenes you've already seen per every minute of interview.

And I do bring up LOTL for a reason... it could be worse. Star Trek is a show laden with easy to mock bits they could have shoved into a 90 minute gag-a-thon with a low budget and random, out of place stars. Couldn't you imagine an Eddie Murphy captain Kirk making race jokes about Trebbles, or a guy in a fat suit playing Scotty making bad fat jokes? Shudder....

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Either way, we have one of 2 problems.... either they make a new version of a project that ticks off the old fans, or not do anything at all, and just let the franchise rot on reruns.
I would have just let Star Trek rest some more or let it die. I wasn't missing it. You got the movies, 5 tv series, books, fanfiction, etc. I don't know if the so called bandwagon fanbase that saw the new movie will see any of the other Star Trek stuff. They might think the old stuff is for the old fans and this new trek movie and everything that will come after it is for the new fans.

For the recent Indiana Jones film, I liked the history story part of it, but the movie was more of a total dud that didn't need to be made. Well it needed to be made with less cgi stuff that Lucas wanted to see in the film.

Elmo The Second

Reaction score
I have been as trekkie for years and probably years to come. I really want to see Star Trek. I hear old spock meets the new spock, something like that?:confused:. It looks like a good movie. I wanna see it at Imax!:big_grin:

''We should be ASHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMED!'':embarrassed:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Again, the problem. I think it has enough classic material to keep it afloat, and I'm sure someone's gotta be making comic books and novels or something... but what gets me down about a lot of other franchises is when you have nothing but the reruns you've seen a hundred times, and it's past its prime. You can do new stuff, you just have to do it right. Seems they almost focused too much on making it a good action movie than making it a good Star Trek movie... but hey, must be on to something, since it became the summer's first big blockbuster.... especially since that messy Wolverine movie got bad reviews across the board. At least ST, while not very palatable to old schoolers is both critically and commercially successful.

Plus, if that kind of fan base wouldn't welcome the classic show, would you really want them in the fanbase anyway?

But then again, anyone else find it weird that half the movies that would usually have been summer movies/blockbusters have been popping up in March? Monsters VS Aliens... Watchmen.... seemed like those would have been prime Summer flicks... 'course, Watchmen could've got it's butt handed to it in the summer... and I for one am glad that Pixar and Dreamworks aren't in direct competition with each other at least for one year.