Are these the new Fraggle puppets for the movie?

wwfpooh

Reaction score
All the core ones definitely, and even if there were any background ones still in a display condition they'd still be remade if they were gonna be in a movie.
Especially considering that the originals would be decades old & would have problems under hollywood's bright lights (hence why the characters within display cases are shown under dimmed lights).

Yva Minstrel

Reaction score
Um ... what about other Doc's? Would they film it like the show, where everybody (more or less) gets their own Doc's? I mean, I want "our" Doc to at least make a cameo, but it's not like the Fraggles can't possibly live without him.
The German Doc, according to Wikipedia, passed on in 1989. That is the version that we get of the show over here, which is really nice, because it feels like watching a show with German flair. The German Doc's name was Hans-Helmut Dickow. I always loved how he called Sprocket, 'Sprocky'.

The British Doc (who was dubbed as 'The Captain' in the credits) has also passed on. His name was Fulton Mackay according to the same source passed on in the 80's as well. He was the lighthouse keeper, and while I liked the acting and these different segments, there was nothing to replace the North American original.

I do not know about the other Doc characters, except that in France there was one and I also saw pictures of the various characters in Wikipedia. The British and German version are the only other ones I have seen full episodes of. Of course, I love to see the show in different languages and hope that the movie will keep in tune with the overall international flair.

Of course, I think Gerry Parkes was the best Doc character. I did like the German Doc as well, there was something different, yet nice, about the character. He was also the closest to the North American one because he was an inventor & tinkerer.

One of the things that I loved about 'Fraggle Rock' was the overall international flair that they put into it. So, while I agree that having the Doc character in the film would be nice and seems important, it may not be workable unless the different countries are able to find actors who, at least, resemble the Doc characters that people know and are familar with.

IMO, that is what adds so much appeal to the idea. :smile: I hope, that they don't mess up the idea by trying to be cool and hip. That would make me very sad. :smirk:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I hope, that they don't mess up the idea by trying to be cool and hip. That would make me very sad. :smirk:
Well, the movie has to be in keeping with the times. The message though, being timeless and universal, shouldn't be forced to change for the cynical view the world has now.

muppet baby

Reaction score
The German Doc, according to Wikipedia, passed on in 1989. That is the version that we get of the show over here, which is really nice, because it feels like watching a show with German flair. The German Doc's name was Hans-Helmut Dickow. I always loved how he called Sprocket, 'Sprocky'.

The British Doc (who was dubbed as 'The Captain' in the credits) has also passed on. His name was Fulton Mackay according to the same source passed on in the 80's as well. He was the lighthouse keeper, and while I liked the acting and these different segments, there was nothing to replace the North American original.

I do not know about the other Doc characters, except that in France there was one and I also saw pictures of the various characters in Wikipedia. The British and German version are the only other ones I have seen full episodes of. Of course, I love to see the show in different languages and hope that the movie will keep in tune with the overall international flair.

Of course, I think Gerry Parkes was the best Doc character. I did like the German Doc as well, there was something different, yet nice, about the character. He was also the closest to the North American one because he was an inventor & tinkerer.

One of the things that I loved about 'Fraggle Rock' was the overall international flair that they put into it. So, while I agree that having the Doc character in the film would be nice and seems important, it may not be workable unless the different countries are able to find actors who, at least, resemble the Doc characters that people know and are familar with.

IMO, that is what adds so much appeal to the idea. :smile: I hope, that they don't mess up the idea by trying to be cool and hip. That would make me very sad. :smirk:

oh my gosh that would have been so cool your are right about that, it would have been cool to have the doc charitor in the movie .

I would love to see the international eposides does anyone know where to get some of them to watch , are they out on dvd i have a mulitreganl dvd player .

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Well, the only ones to be fully complete are the original Gerry Parkes and the UK Fulton McKay versions.

Yva Minstrel

Reaction score
I would love to see the international eposides does anyone know where to get some of them to watch , are they out on dvd i have a mulitreganl dvd player .
If you can play Region 2, Pal discs, then you can play the ones that come out of the UK, or Germany. My suggestion to anyone who wants to get their hands on some of the international Fraggle Rock episodes to check out the Amazon affiliates in the UK, Germany, or France.

For the UK, just tag on .co.uk after amazon.
For Germany, just tag on .de instead of .com. I think for France it's the same except the end is .fr (I haven't seen anything of this kind, but when my friends go to France, I will ask them to check around.)
The first twelve episodes have been released in Germany through UFA and are available at Amazon.de. I warn you they are probably more expensive than you may be accustomed to, I paid 28 Euros for mine, which is about 35 US$ and it's only the first 12 episodes (but they have an English section with undertitles that is rather neat). So, if you're willing to try and get them, then go for it. The second half of the season one episodes will be released here in December.

Ebay might also be a good place to get some of these episodes. This is where I (and others) can find season four.

If anyone needs any further assistance navigating the German site, just send a PM and I'll be more than happy to translate and help you get to the German Fraggle Rock DVDs. (Just keep in mind between the 3-7 of September, I won't be online at all.)

Hope that helps. :smile: But do check first to make sure you have a multiregional DVD player before giving this particular project a go. I would feel horribly if someone here shelled out so much money to get the DVDs and then discovered that they couldn't even watch them. :frown:

OH yes, and just a side note. Fraggle Rock in German is called 'Die Fraggles'. Die is a German article for 'the', so don't panic if you happen to see a DVD cover that says that.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Fraggle Rock in German is called 'Die Fraggles'. Die is a German article for 'the', so don't panic if you happen to see a DVD cover that says that.
So German's 'die' is like Spanish's 'el' 'la', 'los', 'lo', etc.

Yva Minstrel

Reaction score
So German's 'die' is like Spanish's 'el' 'la', 'los', 'lo', etc.
Yes, In German it's der, die and das in the nominative case. The feminine & plural case is 'die'. I still get them mixed up, but according to my in-laws, native speakers do as well.

Actually, this is off topic, but the 'Sesame Street' (or here 'Sesamstrasse') uses these articles in the music with a catchy rhythm for their theme. I watched it a lot while learning German and it really helped. I used a lot of shows in that way when I first moved here, it really helped to learn the language. :smile:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I watched it a lot while learning German and it really helped. I used a lot of shows in that way when I first moved here, it really helped to learn the language. :smile:
Glad to know you now understand the language.

Yva Minstrel

Reaction score
Glad to know you now understand the language.
Well, after living in this country for close to 13 years, I sort of have to. I am a firm believer that if I live in a country then I should know the language. I will not move somewhere and not make the effort to learn the language.

But, this was what I love about Fraggle Rock is how they really made the show international. I loved the Traveling Matt segments in Germany, but I do know that there is one, where they did film it in Germany.

If you pay close attention in the sesason 1 episode, 'You Can't Do that Without A Hat', during the Traveling Matt segment, you will actually see that the place he goes into says: 'Mode Friseur' which is the German words for 'hairstylist' and is in fact, a beauty parlor. You sort of understand that by what he does, but that segment was no doubt filmed in the German speaking part of the world, simply from the sign.