MC isn't what it used to be

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Just as we like discussing Muppet goings-on pre-and-post the passings of Jim, Richard, & others.

Mokeystar

Reaction score
I know for a fact that several current MC members, Xerus, mikebennedict, fuzzygobo and I (as well as I'm sure a few others who are regulars here) were there with you on the Sesame boards at YL and remember it fondly.

Here's a suggestion: Scan the archives of Yesterdayland.com and resurrect some of the topics we used to discuss on the YL Sesame board years ago. If you go to archive.org and enter "yesterdayland.com" into the "Wayback Machine", it will take you to pages of archived material. A lot of it will take you to dead ends, but quite a bit of it will take you back to the Sesame pages of long ago. It's not only a great flash back in time for those of us who like a quick trip of YL nostalgia, but it can be a treasure trove of great posts with the kind of material you're looking for if you search hard enough. Good luck!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Well yesterday Cookie Monster appeared on the Colbert Report and was fantastic. Despite still having to explain that cookies are a sometimes food and that, as an omnivore, he also eats veggies; Cookie was in top form! David Rudman does him justice! He was a little sarcastic when talking about Elmo. That was great. I remember a time when the furry red guy wasn't even in the character assortment for promotional items like posters and albums. Now he's all we get - until now. Elmo will always be around, but I think the tide is changing a bit. Elmo has a place, new Abby has her place and the classic characters are coming back into view.

mjb1124

Reaction score
I'm an old-school SS fan who hasn't been at this board that long, doesn't post that often, and doesn't know nearly as much about classic SS as a lot of the veterans probably do. But I don't think that makes me less of a "true" fan. As others have said, everybody's a "newbie" at some point, and what may seem like common knowledge to you will seem new and fascinating to others. It's also possible that most questions have either been answered, or will be up in the air indefinitely. I'm sure that if and when details about Old School Vol. 3 are announced, there will be more discussion. I know I'll be stoked!

Also, while you may not appreciate the current SS much, it is still just as relevant to the Muppet universe as the current episodes. You also noted that people discuss the Muppet segments more than the films, cartoons and so forth - well, remember that this is first and foremost a Muppet forum.

I will state for the record that I also don't appreciate the last 15 or so years off SS much, and that while I do enjoy The Muppet Show and some of its offshoots, I'm not as passionate about them as I am about classic SS. I just think we need to remember that this is not strictly a classic SS board. You could always create one if you feel the need, or as others suggested, you could bring up any topic you feel like discussing.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Not to mention that you could visit the "Classic Sesame" section of the forum.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I know for a fact that several current MC members, Xerus, mikebennedict, fuzzygobo and I (as well as I'm sure a few others who are regulars here) were there with you on the Sesame boards at YL and remember it fondly.

Here's a suggestion: Scan the archives of Yesterdayland.com and resurrect some of the topics we used to discuss on the YL Sesame board years ago. If you go to archive.org and enter "yesterdayland.com" into the "Wayback Machine", it will take you to pages of archived material. A lot of it will take you to dead ends, but quite a bit of it will take you back to the Sesame pages of long ago. It's not only a great flash back in time for those of us who like a quick trip of YL nostalgia, but it can be a treasure trove of great posts with the kind of material you're looking for if you search hard enough. Good luck!

Also one can Scan the previous posts here as well.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Yeah. We've covered a lot of ground regarding Sesame's past.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
The trip to YesterdayLand

I'm with you on this one. I remember YesterdayLand in its prime, circa 2002. That's where Mokeystar and I met. It was a very special place for a time, because we were all roughly the same age, so we had pretty common experiences. And the passion was definitely there. Every night I couldn't wait to log on and see what new topic there was to be discussed.

I'm not saying it was like an exclusive or elite club, but the dozen or so of us that had that board rocking were THERE when Sesame Street was new. New fans and younger people were always welcome, but for a while it was the old geezers like us that shaped the dynamic and tone of the threads.

And yes, it was intense. For a while. But like a sunspot, that intensity was bound to burn out. Eventually there too, we started to run out of Old School topics to talk about. I know how you feel, that that intense period was brief. But if it lasted longer, it probably would not have been as special.

MC has its merits too. But trying to recreate YL would be impossible. As someone else once said, "You can't reheat a souffle". YL was special because we were in the right place at the right time. I'll always cherish YL as well.

Think of it like this. It's like the twelve of us were in a subway car. We had a great journey together. Then the train reached the station and we got off. Everyone went in different directions. Some you'll see again, some not. The next train ride will be different, with different passengers, and maybe the train will take a different route.

But I'll always remember that trip with you. It was a good one.
There might even be others as good as that one, you never know. If it never happens again, at least we got memories to hold on to, and that's a lot.

Peace- Brian:big_grin:

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Another problem is and while I don't know if it's major but besides those running out of out stuff, I kind of wonder if there's just not very many people joining the forums?