Muppets to appear in Disney Channel TV special

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Yeh... I keep hearing about this MILEY CYRUS girl. Everyday. Every freakin' day. I learned 2 weeks ago that she is the daughter of Billy Ray, whom I only know for his "Boot Scoot Boogie" song. I hadn't heard a single song from Miley Cyrus, until I looked on MuppetCentral and heard "GNO" or something like that. Is that a clue as to what has sold out hundreds of concerts, and spun America for a loop? If so, "you've" all been had. What crap.

PS. Frank Oz's Miss Piggy had an often lovely singing voice, particularly in the 1980s. This new Piggy's singing voice needs singing lessons. From the gut... not from the throat. From the esophagus... not from the snuffleupagus!
I do not know why they make such a big deal out of her singing when it just is nothing special? I'm not even mad at her, but mad at the media who makes a big deal out of it. Nothing against her, It's just I do not know her and I do not really care about her one way or another. Honestly, it's not about talent anymore. It's all about who did what and what somebody said and what somebody ate for lunch. And than were expected to care about this?:rolleyes: I think even some celebrities are sick of it themselves.

I know it's trivial, but Eric's singing voice is just not Franks, lol! :zany:

petrieboy

Reaction score
I'll tell you what the problem is with the new singing voices, and the voices in general. The new generation of voices are focused on SOUNDING like the old voices. The vocalists probably spend a good deal of time trying to perfect themselves. Voices can be just about copied... but hearts and souls can not. Kermit pretty much sounds like his old self, and it took a lot of time for it to happen, but he's still missing something that is spiritual in form. This may sound like a joke, but I recommend that all of the puppeteers go to Larry Moss for acting lessons. Larry Moss coached Hillary Swank and Helen Hunt into their Oscar winning roles. He teaches LIVING a performance, as opposed to ACTING a performance. I have a feeling that, in the long run, fans would be willing to sacrifice a noticeable change in voice from Henson's and Oz's puppets for voices that breathe life and honesty, and are in touch with their fears, longings, happiness, sorrow...

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I'll tell you what the problem is with the new singing voices, and the voices in general. The new generation of voices are focused on SOUNDING like the old voices. The vocalists probably spend a good deal of time trying to perfect themselves. Voices can be just about copied... but hearts and souls can not. Kermit pretty much sounds like his old self, and it took a lot of time for it to happen, but he's still missing something that is spiritual in form. This may sound like a joke, but I recommend that all of the puppeteers go to Larry Moss for acting lessons. Larry Moss coached Hillary Swank and Helen Hunt into their Oscar winning roles. He teaches LIVING a performance, as opposed to ACTING a performance. I have a feeling that, in the long run, fans would be willing to sacrifice a noticeable change in voice from Henson's and Oz's puppets for voices that breathe life and honesty, and are in touch with their fears, longings, happiness, sorrow...
I think they already have that and in a recent interview (I'm sure someone could find) Eric and Steve talk precisely about voice vs. embodiment of the character just as you have. That is what they have been doing all along and quite well IMHO. Singing voices are inherently different than speaking ones. If anything I'd consider the vocal coach for that, but I'm sure they train a little before laying down a soundtrack anyway. I think they do beautifully.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
My friend Cads has uploaded a clip of the show...But he would only upload a Dylan and Cole part...Darn him!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g94mMu9SUFo
WOOT! I like it, I like it! The Muppets aren't talking down, and the Suite Life cast seems to get along well with them! LOVED Gonzo's line about Vermont. :stick_out_tongue: Thanks for posting that Muppet Loverr! THREE MORE DAYS! :excited:

rexcrk

Reaction score
I'm so excited about this special! I've recently become a fan of Disney Channel... and now I'm glad I did! I don't think I would've enjoyed this special if I wasn't familiar with the Disney cast.

And how cool is it that Miley is performing G.N.O. WITH the Electric Mayhem AND the Snowths?

I even requested to take the early shift this sunday so I could watch the special.

CAN'T WAIT! :insatiable::halo::crazy:

Kevin the Frog

Reaction score
Boy, didn't have time to read though the 33 pages of this thread, but just wanted to say that for whatever it's worth...I think this is great. At this point, save getting their own show, a variety show with a couple famous stars is the best format the Muppets could do. What a better way to get the Muppets famous again then to start out with kids and there's a couple pretty famous ones they are starring with. It's the closest thing to The Muppet Show we can hope for at this point, and I agree with one comment I did read that if Jason hadn't wanted to do the movie this wouldn't be happening. This is a smart move and just a beginning (and a real beginning at that) in the long process to bring the Muppets back. I can't wait.

Pan in Scarlet

Reaction score
I know some of the older fans of the muppets are surprised/disgusted at the idea of the muppets appearing with the Disney Channel stars. But as a young fan that got hooked watching old muppet shows my dad recorded, I'm really excited to see the muppets with people that I know.
So at 7:59 on Sunday, the doors will be locked and the lights will be out and my stuffed Kermit from Disney World and I will be watching Studio DC: Almost Live.

monkeyjb1988

Reaction score
I can't wait to see it too. It shows a commitment on Disney's part to bring back the Muppets, pairing them with the DC stars. I plan on seeing it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Beau you may not know me or what I do but many other people across the world from america to japan know me and my work and I've busted my butt to get everything I have with the help of no one but myself.
HEAR HEAR! These kids were chosen because they're simply so cute and lovable with no talent what so ever. They did not bust their butt to accomplish anything. They just got lucky.

You think Jim Henson just got lucky? no! He went to school, he worked in his spare time putting on a local puppet show. he went to college. And while a lot of us strive to work as hard as Jim, we're all floundering and becoming nothings because tweenagers love the flickering flashy crap that Disney rams down their throats.

I couldn’t make it through the original High School Musical. It just seemed like a watered-down Grease rip-off with forgettable overly-dubbed songs, but that stuff isn’t meant for me. It’s more of a kid’s show. I don’t really agree with that sort of focus-group entertainment, but it’s harmless fun for kids and it rakes in the cash. The Muppets never had to speak down to any audience to entertain. Neither have the traditional Disney animated films.

I wish they would raise the bar, but to be honest – they really don’t have to. MTV doesn’t play music videos, Disney Channel doesn’t play cartoons and all the cable news channels have become tabloid infotainment. It’s the culture. I dare not blame the Disney kids for any of it. Theirs is a short contribution to that machine until they gain the clout to make better choices.
You forgot Cartoon Network and Nick don't wanna show cartoons either. Nick, fine... but if you're Cartoon Network, you better darn well show cartoons. And good ones. Not rerun Kid's WB crap like Skunk Fu.

And I agree. HSM is ann overrated piece of junk. it's hardly a real musical. if you want kids to start liking Musical theater try something written by someone who has talent. Even the Snoopy Musicals are pretty accessable for little kids, and they have beautiful songs. not just generic pop.

I think that's what annoys me the most I just can't escape Miley Cyrus i don't like her and that's fine and all but the girls like pretty much shoved down everyones throats here in america. oi!
{pats Jimhensonhour on the back in a friendly gesture. }
You sarrit, Bwana! Everywhere I look, she's up in my face. Crappy merchandise... commercials for crappy merchandise... I even had to sit through an ad of her crappy merchandise before The Dark Knight. All I'm saying... THIS...IS...DISNEY! (300 reference... had to put it there)

Disney has the most beloved cartoon characters of all time, some of the most amazing movies of all time, and it's a people pleasing juggernaut. Why would they need to work that stuff that hard? They have Mickey, Pirates of the Carribean, the Muppets, Buzz and Woody... and we see less and less of them. merchandise? maybe... but every five seconds... I don't care how popular she is, give me a break.

Another post for another time, but Disney was stupid not to make a Pirates of the Carribean cartoon series. Really really stupid. They even released toys based on the designs of a series they didn't even make.

Status
Not open for further replies.