Disney greenlights "The Muppet Show" comics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
I saw the preview book at Comic-Con and I'm sorry to say I hated the artwork. They wanted $5 for a small preview book, so I didn't buy it, otherwise I'd scan a page and show it to you.

I wish they had gotten Dave Alvarez to draw it. He was doing some Muppet comic strips on his own and I loved his drawings. Dave used to draw a lot of Looney Tunes comics, too. I went to him a few years ago, before Disney bought the Muppets and had pitched the idea of doing a Muppets comic book. I even wrote a script, but he never got around to drawing it for me. I also had Henson interested in it, but since I never got the sample done, the idea just went by the wayside and now somebody else has done it.

:stick_out_tongue:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I saw the preview book at Comic-Con and I'm sorry to say I hated the artwork. They wanted $5 for a small preview book, so I didn't buy it, otherwise I'd scan a page and show it to you.

I wish they had gotten Dave Alvarez to draw it. He was doing some Muppet comic strips on his own and I loved his drawings. Dave used to draw a lot of Looney Tunes comics, too. I went to him a few years ago, before Disney bought the Muppets and had pitched the idea of doing a Muppets comic book. I even wrote a script, but he never got around to drawing it for me. I also had Henson interested in it, but since I never got the sample done, the idea just went by the wayside and now somebody else has done it.:stick_out_tongue:
What did the artwork look like? Was similar to these listed in the Muppet wiki?

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
What did the artwork look like? Was similar to these listed in the Muppet wiki?
Wow, I only kinda glanced at it, but I'd say it looked kinda similar to the Fozzie Bear drawing in that link, only maybe even a bit weirder. Not so much like the "Pigs in Space" drawing. I remember Kermit being especially odd-looking, in a sort of underground comics style, with his head all misshapen.

Actually, I just looked at the Wiki again and I'd have to say the drawings in the new book are much more bizarre than those.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Wow, I only kinda glanced at it, but I'd say it looked kinda similar to the Fozzie Bear drawing in that link, only maybe even a bit weirder. Not so much like the "Pigs in Space" drawing. I remember Kermit being especially odd-looking, in a sort of underground comics style, with his head all misshapen.

Actually, I just looked at the Wiki again and I'd have to say the drawings in the new book are much more bizarre than those.
Misshapen Kermit? Oh, I'm not glad to hear that. I liked those weird comics on the Wiki as one-shot strips rather than comprising an entire book. There's nothing I dislike more than an artist making a name for himself by tinkering with (rather than respecting) the greater work of others. There's a way of honoring the material without going all "Crumb" on the Muppet likenesses. If they want to go with high-stylization they should check out Vic Romano's stuff. That's something I'd buy.

peyjenk

Reaction score
I HATE that Fozzie drawing. It does not capture the character at all.... he looks sneaky, vicious, and cruel. He looks like his name should be Voldemort Bear.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Hahah the Fozzie in that one-shot comic looks some sort of a sleezy drug dealer. :embarrassed: Imagine that.... wow.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Hahah the Fozzie in that one-shot comic looks some sort of a sleezy drug dealer. :embarrassed: Imagine that.... wow.
Maybe that's what they're going for, sorta like with Loonatics. Only instead of turning the characters into action stars, they'll be gang members. :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I'm still wondering about what the appeal of this style is to classic or new fans? I get the look of these Mayhem, Muppet and Piggy passed-on animated pitches from the Wiki because they still retain some natural Muppetisms (well the Kermit one's a little wonky, but it's still just conceptual art rather than this other dude). But this isn't quite to my taste for carrying an entire comic. It seems more like a rip off than an homage or licensed product. :sympathy:

peyjenk

Reaction score
Not to mention the fact that his speech bubble says "Wakka wakka". :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.