Disney greenlights "The Muppet Show" comics

Status
Not open for further replies.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
On further inspection, it appears that Langridge is the one that drew the Fozzie Bear that everyone is complaining about (myself included). The one where he, for no apparent reason, traded in his trademark scarf for a neckerchief and says "Wakka wakka" instead of "Wokka wokka".
I know it's a long shot, but I hope Langridge reads the forums and thinks about revising his designs.

He should honor the spark the Muppets already have before making his own mark on the characters. I understand an artist's personal style and don't think he should copy Frith, but I definitely believe that he should incorporate what makes Frith's work Muppety.

I believe the reason that the sample cover art for this is a production photograph rather than graphic art is likely because someone at Disney is aware that this weird style might put many fans off buying the magazine.

It's cool to know that Langridge is a fan, but so far it appears he's more the type of a casual fan that likes "Fonzy Bear" and his "Wakka Wakka" bits. :embarrassed:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
It's cool to know that Langridge is a fan, but so far it appears he's more the type of a casual fan that likes "Fonzy Bear" and his "Wakka Wakka" bits. :embarrassed:
Fonzy Bear and Ralph the Dog and Timrek the Gorf... wait, that's a real one.

Maybe he also likes the Dr. Pepper and Janice Choplin relationship. :sing: :flirt:

Vic Romano

Reaction score

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I don't see why so many artists don't respect the origins of what came before their work - especially when carrying on a specific tradition. If this dude wanted to draw inebriated bears he should create his own. :embarrassed:
You should run for President, because I agree with you on this!

I vote for Dave Alvarez, too.

I just hope that whoever is working on the book will do some research on the characters and watch some shows. It frightens me that little things like misspelling "Wocka Wocka" will hurt it. Like, usually, it's 3 "Hiya"s and 2 "Wocka"s...usually. But, that's me being picky.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I just hope that whoever is working on the book will do some research on the characters and watch some shows. It frightens me that little things like misspelling "Wocka Wocka" will hurt it. Like, usually, it's 3 "Hiya"s and 2 "Wocka"s...usually. But, that's me being picky.
Cuz "Hiya, Wocka!" just sounds so... Native American. (Hiawatha! Get it? ... Never mind.)

But, seriously, "Hiya, hiya, hiya!" and "Wocka Wocka!" are just right. I get picky about that sort of thing, too. It's like Scooter should always swing his fist in front of him whenever he says the word "great!"... but that's me being even more picky.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
You should run for President, because I agree with you on this!

I vote for Dave Alvarez, too.

Just my signature is running. :wink: He he.

I had this Bible teacher once, many years ago in high school that came down pretty hard on the Muppets. He said that the Muppets praised human frailties - Fozzie Bear signified society's laughing at drunk people, Miss Piggy demonstrated rage and gluttony, Gonzo demonstrated support for masochism, the band supported drug abuse and that the show promoted violence in blowing one another up. Needless to say he never said this in front of me or to my class, but I once called him to task on the subject in front of a room full of students. I told him he was projecting his own issues and that he should watch the show again and think tolerance - that it was the lesson I learned from the Muppets and the only thing keeping me friendly to him at that moment. That guy was such a turkey.

Long story short – seeing the lovable bear portrayed as drunk or sleazy has always rubbed me the wrong way. I’m always reminded of Caper when he kept loading sugar in his champagne because he’d rather be drinking ginger ale. :embarrassed:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I had this Bible teacher once, many years ago in high school that came down pretty hard on the Muppets. He said that the Muppets praised human frailties - Fozzie Bear signified society's laughing at drunk people, Miss Piggy demonstrated rage and gluttony, Gonzo demonstrated support for masochism, the band supported drug abuse and that the show promoted violence in blowing one another up. Needless to say he never said this in front of me or to my class, but I once called him to task on the subject in front of a room full of students. I told him he was projecting his own issues and that he should watch the show again and think tolerance - that it was the lesson I learned from the Muppets and the only thing keeping me friendly to him at that moment. That guy was such a turkey.
I've heard wierder, not about the muppets, but about other things that people have said. But in all honesty I can see where this guy is coming form with the band to an extent. I mean, just look at floyd, tell me he does not look like a typical "druggie" musician (expecially in Sex and Violence with the scenery and that really cool swirly effect in his glasses). Of course you cant go by appearnece alone. The EM never have promoted drug use. But think about all those musicians who did every drug in the book in the 70s. I mean, c'mon, Ozzy Osbourne was probably one of the biggest drug users in the 70s (and yet he's still alive and pumping out new songs, gotta love it :stick_out_tongue: ). So I guess because drugs were widely popular, I guess it could cause people to get that misconception. But I am really confused at the thing about Fozzie. Whats he got to do with drunk people? Blah...anyways...

lets go back on topic...

I am interested in seeing this comic actually be made. But I tihnk they should hire me to draw the EM. My Janice looks like Jancie and not a deranged horse :smirk: lol that was a joke

I dont mind the weird new art that seems to be popping up. Even that wonky Kermit I can handle. I would just like to see it a bit more cleaned up though, like changing proportions slightly so everyone doesnt look like twigs

Vic Romano

Reaction score
...Fozzie Bear signified society's laughing at drunk people...
What! Oh man, I can kinda' see a connection to the others, but this one caught me totally off guard! Lol! What a kook! :concern:

Status
Not open for further replies.