Censorship

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I'm just asking a question because Ms. P makes a good point; how much influence does Disney and other property owners have over MC? I'd be really interested hearing some behind the scenes stories (I've said that a thousand times before).

I think mods and Phil are doing a great job. I've been a member of some forums that deleted entire sections of forums because they didn't feel like dealing with it and never even acknowledged it. I'm just back so I haven't had a chance to notice anything myself. There's a member or two here that just get me so angry I just try and avoid them all together, but like Mrs. P said, it's easy to get riled up over something you're so passionate about.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Ms. P - It isn't blasphemy to have opinions about any products or projects that the Big 3put out for us. The problem isn't in diplomatic sharing of opinions--that's more than welcome.

-----------

I think that this thread came about because my OWN editing in someone's post (that I feel prompted this thread, which is okay), is because the problem comes not in sharing of opinions, but polite snips at one another which is called 'baiting,' which leads to flaming and more problems on the forum. I apologize to the entire community of MC, then, if trying to nip that in the bud (because I've seen the pattern more times than I care to count in the past) is considered censorship. For too many years as a fan-member and then a moderator I've seen the pattern, and anybody who moderates a message board will likely see that pattern, too.

Still, there are rules that are on the forum that we have to abide by. This forum is started and paid for by Phil, as is Muppet Central, and by signing onto a privately paid-for forum or website, those doing so are therefore subject to those rules. Democracy and freedom of speech are also subject to those rules. He didn't say that, but my friend who moderates another message board suggested that. I think that, compared to other message boards, members at MC are allowed a lot more freedom than acknowledged--of course, as long as it is positive and clean.

And, at the same time, if I am doing a bad job moderating the members of the forum has someone above me to report me to, and I'm okay with that. I would like to think that I've done a great job moderating and still be even a greater friend to people here. Maybe some see that I have, others may think not. It's fair opinion and I'm okay with that, too.

One thing that would definitely help is for members to place each other on 'ignore' when they have problems with someone or their posts, or if they feel that every post deserves nice-snippy responses. If it's a member who feels they are being baited by other replies, they can put that person on ignore. But, nobody uses that option and it would help a WHOLE LOT if folks would. I think it would stop a lot of problems.

JHC, Diz and SW don't really post, but they read. Everyone I ever met who said they read the forums are very, very nice people. The 3 companies have been more than gracious to the fan community by allowing Muppet Central to post freely. I don't think they've ever submitted any request to Phil to remove anything from the website (that I know of). I know one performer whose spouse had a thread removed because she didn't appreciate it and, looking back now, I don't blame her. That was before I was moderating and I was a part of that silliness that prompted her request. The most effect the Big 3 have on MC is whether or not they are doing a project and what that project is, and whether or not they green-light it or say they're going to do it and don't. :smile:

Definitely, there are other forums on the 'net that I tried to be a part of and was basically run off by the clique-ness of it, or because the owner of the forum just didn't want to like me or give me a chance, some I left because I didn't have time to go back anymore (a lot of them for this reason, actually) and some just because there was so much in-fighting (a Ghostbusters' fan board). I know there will one day come a time when even the one forum (this 'un) will be too hard to come to because of time--'til then, though, I'm here. The bear is stayin'! You hear that New York? The bear is here and he's stayin'! ... Wait, that isn't a proper quote ...

I agree, Jim wasn't Jesus, but he was a philosopher in every ounce of who he was, how he worked, and the thoughts he wrote. Some folks have their Ghandi or Buddah, and while I have my Jesus, I lean a little on Jim's philosophies, too. It's a fair thing to have--not that I'm making a religion out of it, but it's all good philosophies to lean on and I suggest it constantly to people. I even bought copies of "It's Not Easy Bein' Green and Other Things to Consider" because it's full of philosophy and other good advice for the day to give people. Of course, from what I know of Jim's personality, he might not like the fact that I put him on such a philosopher's pedestal. I do the same thing with Charles Schulz (Hey, I'm a geek!).

-------

By the way, Ms. P, it's funny you mention the "Jim isn't Jesus" thing: I was at a music store last year and they had a 13" tall talking Jesus doll. I call him Jesus Henson because he's a white Jesus (not Jewish), and he reminds me of Jim Henson in a Jesus costume when I put the Starbuck's Kermit finger puppet on his hand. I should post a picture of it somewhere someday.

Luke

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies Kev and Count. I think you do a great job moderating the forums, and a lot of people don't realise a lot of what goes on (which is good) because its subtle, like the thread renaming and merging, which i think makes a lot of sense or the member approvals. Maybe the issue is just people being made aware when things are edited or deleted that stops any confusion - as Count said, using the footer in the posts for edits or PM'ing people who are genuine forum members who have something deleted. I agree it should be fairly positive "in the spirit of the Muppets" type atmosphere - kinda criticism ok as long as its constructive.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I agree. Constructive criticism can help a LOT, and it's welcome. It's why I'm not upset about anything and glad to share information and help as much as possible.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I've always thought if there wasn't Christianity, I'd worship Jim. :smile:

ISNorden

Reaction score
At the risk of hijacking this thread, I agree that Jim Henson (despite his human limits and flaws) had the right attitude towards many things in life. I won't describe my religious beliefs, since they're irrelevant here. However, trying to keep a Muppet fan forum peaceful and clean definitely sounds like something Jim would support.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I did not even know we could block seeing certain members posts :confused:
Thank you, my life is so much less ranty now *lol* :smile:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
One thing that would definitely help is for members to place each other on 'ignore' when they have problems with someone or their posts, or if they feel that every post deserves nice-snippy responses. If it's a member who feels they are being baited by other replies, they can put that person on ignore. But, nobody uses that option and it would help a WHOLE LOT if folks would. I think it would stop a lot of problems.
I actually just started using that. I have a nice little ignore list goin'. :stick_out_tongue: I even expect I'm on a few from other people. :wink: And, yes, it does help... except for when you get so curious about what someone has posted. But, then, I'm just a naturally curious person.

F:embarrassed:z, I think you've done a good job as moderator. Much "huzzah" and "hooplah" to you.

Katzi428

Reaction score
I actually just started using that. I have a nice little ignore list goin'. :stick_out_tongue: I even expect I'm on a few from other people. :wink: And, yes, it does help... except for when you get so curious about what someone has posted. But, then, I'm just a naturally curious person.

F:embarrassed:z, I think you've done a good job as moderator. Much "huzzah" and "hooplah" to you.
Same with me,Super Scooter!
And Kev/Foz...I agree that you do a great job as mod! What da hey...all the mods do great!

Redsonga

Reaction score
I know, it's like you wonder if they are saying something bad about you the moment you decide it's best to stop listening :sympathy:. It's not that I think the worst of people but sometimes the need to know overrides my better judgement:stick_out_tongue:. Because I have a very strong need to be right even if I'm wrong *lol*