Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 39

BeckyDR

Reaction score
Count: gracias por el apoyo sobre los posteajes malos aquí (the foot-fetish posts)

ISNorden

Reaction score
[
[*]Sesame Workshop's new logo is more viewer-friendly; the "house/lightning/stars" graphic means less to casual fans, than Muppet graphics from Sesame Street itself.
[/list]

What do you mean more viewer friendly?
I mean that using the Muppets is a more obvious, memorable tie-in with what Sesame Workshop does; the older logo felt more abstract and unconnected.

ISNorden

Reaction score
I didn't even see an Ernie and Bert claymation piece today, is it not supposed to be an everyday thing or something?
Apparently not. It was funny and well-paced, though, despite the sound being out of sync!

ISNorden

Reaction score
Episode 4162: ISNorden's review

Most of you have beaten me to reviewing the latest episode, but I'll throw in my own two cents...

The good points:

• Excellent street story; Neil Patrick's conceited, whiny shoe fairy ought to win him an Emmy for acting! :smile: Telly's getting zapped into strange behavior for each pair of shoes was cute, too. (After making friends with Abby Cadabby, though, he should have suspected that fairy-made shoes had magic in them--magic that might go haywire...)
  • Good use of the Word on the Street, both in the main story and in the celebrity spot. When Grover guessed those incorrect meanings for "pirouette", it reminded me of those older Professor Grover lectures.
  • Great job of connecting the sponsors with the street story again; using a new cast member today was a smart move, too (so no one character gets typecast as the daily letter-and-number teacher).
  • Good choice of classic segments ("animal department store" and "Exploring in Your Closet"); I bet that any parent watching with the kids today got a nostalgia buzz!
  • Loved the Muppet/kid moment with the Count and Samara (isn't she Bob's niece in real life?). Seeing Muppets interact with ordinary children has always been one of my favorite parts of the show.
  • The new "S" cartoon was clever, especially when Seymour's shell showed that visual pun on "escargot/S-car go".
The bad points:

• Once again, "Murray Has a Little Lamb" dragged on longer than it needed to. I would have varied the clues to include more than just animals from a farm, too; some vegetables, farm tools, or both might have suited the sketch.
  • The remade "Being a Pig" was cute in a way, but what's wrong with the original? Showing real pigs in ordinary situations would have taught kids more about farm life.
  • The "Elmo's World" choice (getting dressed) did tie in with the main story, though I would have gone for an even closer connection: why not the "shoes", "feet", or even "dancing" topic?
Overall: A pretty decent episode, like most of last season; I'd give this an 8 on a scale of 1-10.

Taco Wiz

Reaction score
I missed the second episode. Maybe they'll upload it to the Sesame Street website.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
The Count sketch is from season 36 guys.

I can't say anything that hasn't already been said here. But I really loved the street story! Loved when the shoe Fairy called Telly out of how ungrateful he was being because he didn't feel satisfied. I just could have let another ungrateful little monster who shall remain nameless here have it. Love the soup and salad bit at the beginning and loved Grover's quip at the end. "Why are is everybody still spinning?" LOL! I don't know what everybody's personal opinion is about Murray Had a little Lamb, but I love the character and he makes everything he's in very entertaining to hatch! All in all not as good as yesterday's episode save for the street story, but a pretty good episode over all!

One thing that caught my attention was when Gabby introduced herself. You know when she has to say "Hi, I'm gabby!" hat usually means they the are a new batch of kids watching this season. Because it's every three years now that the show recreates itself as has been said by the workshop.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi... Today's review.

Episode 4163: Sock Chaos at the Laundromat.
Air Date: August 13 2008.
Season: Season 39.
Sponsors:
Word on the Street: Laundromat.
What was Murray's line at the end? "Spring time fresh Bob."?
Street Story.
Great lines, made me laugh as each sock was introduced.
The 5 Sock Conga... Doesn't this remind you of the classic animation 6 Soccer Socks?
Song: The Name of the Place is... The Laundromat.
Unknown Segment: Someone keeps calling for Max.
Song: See the Signs with Chris Brown and Elmo.
Animation/Song: Alphabet Jungle.
Muppets: Rosita comes to buy the Letter of the Day, K, at Big Bird and Snuffy's nest sale.
Animation: Look, it's the letter K!
Segment: K in the Swimming Pool.
Bert & Ernie's Great Adventures: Searching for Pirate Treasure.
*The monkey attached to Captain Bert... Is that a subtle Pirates of the Caribbean reference?
Bert: "You may not give a stitch about socks..."
Muppets: Rosita comes back to buy the Number of the Day, 5, from the nest sale.
Animation/Song: 5 Waltzing Chairs.
Animation: 5 in Space, 5 comets, spaceships, stars.
Murray Has a Little Lamb: Going to the Science & Nature Class at the American Museum of Natural History.
Okay... Though some of us would prefer it if they rotated Murray Has a Little Lamb and Bert & Ernie's Great Adventures so one's on one day and then the other. But it seems as if Murry Has a Little Lamb is the new flagship added segment, to be featured in every episode of the new season.
Also, another little translation correction.
"Sapo" is applied indiscriminantly to frogs. But in truth, "frog" is "rana" in Spanish, "sapo" is actually the Spanish word for "toad". The more earth-dwelling habits of the toad is what separates the two in both languages.
Animation/Song: Sing with animated animals.
Muppets/Cast: Action Elephant with María.
Elmo's World: Feet.
Big Bird and Snuffy present the sponsors, with Radar, announcing it's birdseed milkshakes for everybody thanks to all the birdseed they made from the nest sale.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Count, the segment with Max was a new CGI segment where a sock look for his match.

I fished the episode, and here are my thoughts:

The Goods
-The one was one good street scene! Those socks were funny and their song was catchy. And best of all, Elmo was barely in it. He just came in danced the conga and left.
-Never saw that Laudromat song, but it was cool to see
-The Nest sale Letter/Number/Closing looks like it comes from a later episode
-Ernie and Bert's Great Adventures was funny, especially when the monkey took Bert's clothes
-"Alphabet Jungle" was nice to see again.
-It looks as though SW isn't too careful with dated skits, since we saw a sketch from 2005 that had the old arbor design
-I noticed there was no "Word of the Day" celeb. spot. Maybe because the word "laundromat" was mention several times in the plot and song afterwards
-I find it funny that the "Sing" animation was used here in the third episode of the season, and it was also used in the third episode of last season.

The Bads:
-Really, I don't like "See the Signs" very much
-I hvae a feeeling that these first few Murray/Lamb segments will be repeated later this season
-The sock animation was cute and all, but a bit boring

mikebennidict

Reaction score
The Count sketch is from season 36 guys.

I can't say anything that hasn't already been said here. But I really loved the street story! Loved when the shoe Fairy called Telly out of how ungrateful he was being because he didn't feel satisfied. I just could have let another ungrateful little monster who shall remain nameless here have it. Love the soup and salad bit at the beginning and loved Grover's quip at the end. "Why are is everybody still spinning?" LOL! I don't know what everybody's personal opinion is about Murray Had a little Lamb, but I love the character and he makes everything he's in very entertaining to hatch! All in all not as good as yesterday's episode save for the street story, but a pretty good episode over all!

One thing that caught my attention was when Gabby introduced herself. You know when she has to say "Hi, I'm gabby!" hat usually means they the are a new batch of kids watching this season. Because it's every three years now that the show recreates itself as has been said by the workshop.

There's probably a new audience every year as well as those who watched it the year before.

I highly doubt there's any particular time when you get a whole new audience.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Animation: Look, it's the letter K!
Count, that skit was identical to the one from the first episode about the number four. In fact, it used a lot of the same animation too. Except for the K part.

Anyway, another really good episode. I LOVED the socks. Muppet builders even took sock puppets to the next level. Anyone else think the Baby Sock reminded them of Pepe? :rolleyes:

It was nice to see Abby in another street story... and to see Elmo reduced to a cameo. He was in a lot of the program today, but mostly as older footage.

And FINALLY we get to see Big Bird and Snuffy in an episode. I really think that they did the sponsers better in this episode than in the last one. It seemed like a subplot, not just someone announcing the letter/number segments.

And I just loved the Ernie and Bert great adventures segment today. Of course, they relied on the old Pirate stereotype of "ARRRRR" (refer to first episode of last season). And Murray had a little Lamb is a brilliant way to take care of bi-lingual education, real life kid experiances, and learning about little cultural tidbits. Still think it can do without the guessing game part at the beginning, though.

And a lot more classic segments this episode. Yeah, they're from the 90's, but even then, they're still over 15 years old. I mean, that girl from yesterday's "Exploring in your closet" must be in college by now.

All and all, this season is great.

Anyone notice they didn't have a "word on the Street" explaination in the middle of the show? I guess they decided to use that song instead.