Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 39

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
All and all, I was expecting it to have microchips or oil or whatever the heck robots eat. Robots cannot consume food, after all. it shorts them out.

I'm not really digging these new how to segments they've added in the middle of the last couple episodes myself. The cookie one was cute, but the robot dance and the sushi bit were... well, they looked like they came out of another show.
Dang, now I'm thinking about cookie filled sushi :insatiable:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Today's review.

Episode 4186: Baby Bear's New Babysitter.
Airdate: November 7, 2008.
Season: Season 39 Finale.
Sponsors:
Word on the Street: Fabulous.
Street Story.
Nice to see Gina and Marco again.
The babysitting storyline... Heh, my sister used to do that for our neighbors.
Baby Bear projecting his misgivings/fears about Gabi being their babysitter... That reminds me of the old MST3k The Movie joke about the movie's projectioner.
Animation/Song: Dancing with my Family, another in the line of weird animation/song segments.
Celebrity Moment: Kim Cattrall explains "fabulous" with Abby, a shiny singing shoe, and a dancing robot.
Animation/Song: Ooh, What a Fabulous Party!
Murray Has a Little Lamb: Going to Gardening School.
Healthy Food Moment: Artichoke Song.
Muppets: "Let's Get to Hooper's Store", Abby, Big Bird, Elmo and Telly go off to have tomato soup for lunch.
Each character uses their own particular form of personal transportation, this is where we get to see Big B roller skating again.
Additional Muppets join them on their way, adding to the song itself.
Animation: Traction Jackson: Snacking on Fruits.
Letter of the Day: Gina shows Marco the letter N to get him to go to sleep.
Segment: N for necklace and neck, the keyboard typist guy.
Animation: Two people share noodles for lunch, filled with N words.
Muppets: Zoe introduces the Lambarena, as performed by Lorena and Lorna Feijoo, before Zoe does her version with a lamb.
Segment: "You Can Dance It", bleh.
Number of the Day: Gina shows Marco the number 18 with 18 teddy bears.
Segment: 18 chairs for 18 bears, similar to the 17 French horns.
Elmo's World: Families.
Wha huh? We just got cheated out of the third and last new Elmo's World, Frogs.
Ending: Gina presents the sponsors checking on Marco one last time.

So another season ends. The few things I'm rully disappointed about are being cheated out of Bert & Ernie's Great Adventures, the Indiana Jones pyramid parody we saw online months back as a preview; Elmo's World: Frogs, as I had a small hope for the special guest; and where did Molly Shannon appear? The other thing is, as much as math was made the focus, it felt more like only the first half of the season was so dedicated; whereas the latter episodes reverted to more general themes and the pushing of the healthy habits holdovers/cold leftovers. And if math was so important this year, how come my namesake was only rully featured in a couple or so episodes? :batty: It did make me nostalgic for CTW/SW to bring back Square One Television though. It also seemed they ran out of letter/number segments as the season ended, then again that's almost expected.

Not a bad season... Bit light on parodies. Agree with Drtooth that they should get charicature parody Muppets back instead of the singers themselves singing a parody of their own songs... But that's a change of the times I guess.
Oh well, see you next year for the big 40th anniversary.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'll do a full recap of the season next time.

So we WERE supposed to see a Frogs Elmo's world?

And Count, Molly Shannon DID appear. I believe she was the Bug adoption agency/pound/pet store proprietor when Slimey got a pet bug.

Anyway, pretty uneventful end for the season. I did like the obsessive compulsive, almost Rainman actions on the part of Baby bear... and then blaming it on her sister, who really didn't seem to care. it almost reminds me of the Arthur episode, except for the fact Baby bear didn't develope a crush on Gabby like Arthur did with his Baby sitter...

And hey, that segment with Telly, Big Bird, Abby and Elmo were what we saw behind the scenes months back/

And the number segment skits were made by the same people. I wonder if that's ever happened before.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Well, I really lived today's episode and good seeing the robot from the episode before too! Thought it was funny how Marco fell asleep as soon he saw the letter and number of the day and loved Gina's comment. "Boy! I wish I could fall asleep that fast... lol!

mbmfrog

Reaction score
Well another season is done, and while I have briefly seen the last three shows of SS, I must admit it was an okay season.

I mean sure the Help-o-bot one was like, to me the only showing of Rosita throughout the whole season, but still everyone still played a good part.

I can't wait to see what the company will think of for the 40th season.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
And, so we say goodbye to SS to another year. Now that mbmfrog mentions it, I haven't heard much of Rosita in and around the buzz of this year's season. Can't wait for season 40!

mbmfrog

Reaction score
And, so we say goodbye to SS to another year. Now that mbmfrog mentions it, I haven't heard much of Rosita in and around the buzz of this year's season. Can't wait for season 40!
But Rosita did appear within the "Help-o-bot" episode. :frown:

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
Yes she did, and that was nice. But I don't think as much as she did in season 38.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
My thoughts on the finale and the season.

The Goods: Episode:
-Aw, I liked the plot! Curly Bear was adorable and the Bear song was catchy.
-I didn't watch all of the Help-O-Bots episode, so I hadn't seen the Rico puppet. It looked cool!
-Seeing "What a Fabulous Party" again
-The Abby/Big Bird/Elmo/Telly bit was nice. I liked Grover riding in on Fred.
-Aw, the Gina and Marco bits were cute!
-The Zoe/Ballet dancers skit was cute too

The Bads:
-Various horrible songs like The Family one, the Artichoke and Trackson Jackson

Now, for the season

The Goods:
-There were several plots I loved, particularly the first week. Some (like the Max the Magician one) I didn't really care for though.
-Leela was a great addition to the cast. Her Indian heritage adds to the street's diversity
-We saw some classic skits that haven't been used in awhile, like Grover vs. Pino, the Bones cartoon and Dr. Nancy Einstein.
-I noticed that every main Muppet character (except Ernie) made an appearance in a street scene, which is awesome!
-Murray Has a Little Lamb was a cute new segment. My only gripes with it was a little long and it didn't need to be in every episode. They made enough to be aired every other one.
-Bert and Ernie's Great Adventures were great! There wasn't a single one I hated. Unlike Murray's segment, it was nice that it wasn't in every episode.
-While there weren't many, this season parodies were really great. My favorites being "Pre-School Musical" and "I'm the Letter T".
-Seeing the return of Guy Smiley and Wolfgang

The Bads:
-I wasn't to keen on the fact that there were so many transitions from sketch to sketch instead of just cutting.
-The stunning lack of Cookie Monster. He only appeared in 5 episodes! (Not counting EW) He's one of the main characters for Pete's sake.
-It's a shame that we only saw Ernie and Bert in puppet form a couple of times this season.

In conclusion, this was a very good season! I can't wait for the next one!

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
The seasons over already? I only saw a few eps. I'll have to keep checking on You Tube or the TV listings for repeats. Seems like I missed quite a bit.