Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 39

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Frankly I thought he sounded bad.

Whoever it is that performs Ernie does a better job.

SSLFan

Reaction score
Whoever it is that performs Ernie does a better job.
Steve Whitmire.

I think all the Muppeteers have been doing good in my opinion. Sure they can't be exactly how Jim was. Or even Frank or Jerry. But they're trying.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, tough cookies. They did a best than can to find someone to play Guy Smiley.
Exactly. I get so bugged by people saying "Where's X? I can't believe they don't show X anymore, and they only show Elmo" (or Pepe if we're talking The Muppet Show). and THEN going back and saying, "Ugh! That's what they sound like?"

Recasting muppets isn't easy. You don't just have to do the voice, you also have to get the personality down pat, and have a symbiotic relationship to the character. That's why some characters bounce around from performer to performer, and in some cases, never get recast. Even Elmo went through 2 other puppeteers before Kevin Clash made the character what he is today. Sometimes we'll get lucky and find someone right away who can sound approximately like the characters in question... Eric Jacobson has taken to a lot of Frank's roles, and in some of them, you can't even tell a difference (He is flawless as Grover and Fozzie)... and sometimes you get the Scooter situation, where he was bounced from Brian Henson to Rickey Boyd to David Rudman.

And Besides, we've only seen Eric's Guy a couple times... a PSA for Ready to Learn and this episode. I'm sure after time, if Eric continues the role, he'll fit more comfortably into it, as he did with Bert, Piggy, and all them.

That said, it took them HOW long to get Gilbert Gottfried into a Muppet Project why?

GuySmileyfan

Reaction score
Exactly. I get so bugged by people saying "Where's X? I can't believe they don't show X anymore, and they only show Elmo" (or Pepe if we're talking The Muppet Show). and THEN going back and saying, "Ugh! That's what they sound like?"

Recasting muppets isn't easy. You don't just have to do the voice, you also have to get the personality down pat, and have a symbiotic relationship to the character. That's why some characters bounce around from performer to performer, and in some cases, never get recast. Even Elmo went through 2 other puppeteers before Kevin Clash made the character what he is today. Sometimes we'll get lucky and find someone right away who can sound approximately like the characters in question... Eric Jacobson has taken to a lot of Frank's roles, and in some of them, you can't even tell a difference (He is flawless as Grover and Fozzie)... and sometimes you get the Scooter situation, where he was bounced from Brian Henson to Rickey Boyd to David Rudman.

And Besides, we've only seen Eric's Guy a couple times... a PSA for Ready to Learn and this episode. I'm sure after time, if Eric continues the role, he'll fit more comfortably into it, as he did with Bert, Piggy, and all them.

That said, it took them HOW long to get Gilbert Gottfried into a Muppet Project why?
Thank you.