State of the Muppets - An Opinion

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Very well said, Ryan and I agree with you all the way! If you can get past the fact that there working with so and such and that it was clear that the director and writer don't really know how to direct and wight for the Muppets, it's really not all that bad. And honestly, I've rather have when they are doing them more years of nothing so for that I am grateful to Disney for! I'm sure more, and bigger and better things are on the way! I can't wait!:smile:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Well, all I gotta say is you have to start somewhere, and I think it's a good start.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
all-bad just because it's not exactly what we want
Especially since Disney's targeting more audiences than just us.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Although it has parts that people may have a dislike for, DC Live indeed was a mere start to get people interested in The Muppets again.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Especially since Disney's targeting more audiences than just us.
Unfortunately, it seems Disney is only heavily focussing on the tweenager market. And I don't just mean muppets, either. it would be great to actually work with the bloomin' original characters they've had since the beginning, without reducing them to Dora clones....

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Heck, if they wanted, why not create an all-new MMC with Miley, Zack & Cody, and all the rest of the Disney Tweens as the performers and the Sensational Six as both hosts and as stars in cartoon segments for the show? This way, fans of the six and fans of the Tweens can both be gratified.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Hoping I'm not considered a Moderation-Nazi, I just did some editing but posted reasons.

I haven't seen it yet, but as long as they are trying to begin something with the Muppets it's good. This, I'm sure, is a vehicle to get something else going and maybe we're soon to see a new Muppet show on TV somewhere if this is a big enough hit.

Luke

Reaction score
It is in no way a sign of Muppet projects to come; rather this appearance will help insure more butts in the seats for the real film and projects to come.
I think in all honesty, if the kids did reaaaaly take to the Muppets, it would be definitely a sign of the Muppet projects to come ... fortunately for us, they really need the whole "family" demograph to get the audience they would need to do anything with the Muppet brand.

I agree that while Muppets Tonight was a 2nd rate TMS with weak characters, and some of the movies (not all) weren't as great as they could have been ... the Muppets have been on a slow spiral upwards since the Henson kids bought them back off EMTV. The wheezer video, VMX, some of the appearances, and now Muppets.com and Youtube - the Muppeteers seem to be getting their groove back and when the people who really know the Muppets best are let loose with them they can definitely start to work some of the old chemistry again. I agree with the OP, Studio DC was a near train wreck, although i do agree some parts were ok and the Muppets did need to be reaqauinted with the kids .. though it was cobbled together from material that wasn't even supposed to be a show, and written very poorly - a better re-introduction could have been created with the right people and script.

Convincing John

Reaction score
a better re-introduction could have been created with the right people and script.
Script...that's a key word, there. Writing is so important in the Muppets. Remember the story about Jerry Juhl in the room of Fraggle puppets? He said to the other writer with him: "Without us, these are just socks!"

Forget the search for the next American Idol. We need the search for the next "Jerry Juhl". Steve, Eric and Bill are great performers, but there's got to be an equally great team of writers behind the scenes.

Convincing John

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Everybody comes down hard on Muppets Tonight, but I liked it. I have a VHS copy of the whole series and once a year watch all the episodes. It's cool to see the characters go from being not-so-hot to being full-fledged characters. I think of that series Sal and Johnny got my vote as great characters, obviously Pepe and Seymour and Bobo Bear. The flamingo announcer was funny, too. It was also the first time in a long time we got to see Gonzo perform some great acts! I liked it. But that's me.