State of the Muppets - An Opinion

Redsonga

Reaction score
Script...that's a key word, there. Writing is so important in the Muppets. Remember the story about Jerry Juhl in the room of Fraggle puppets? He said to the other writer with him: "Without us, these are just socks!"

Forget the search for the next American Idol. We need the search for the next "Jerry Juhl". Steve, Eric and Bill are great performers, but there's got to be an equally great team of writers behind the scenes.

Convincing John
Well, I like to think they are more than just socks, they do have a lot of character by themselves, but you are right, they do need good writers...
Maybe someday I might be good enough to become a writer for them, but I have no idea where to start...:sympathy:

Convincing John

Reaction score
Those were Jerry Juhl's words, not mine. I get you, though.

We just need some good Muppet writers working with the Disney crew working with the Muppeteers. Good cooperation can help the Muppets out a lot.

(Singing--"Cooperation makes it happen...cooperation, workin' together!...dig it!")

Convincing John

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Script...that's a key word, there. Writing is so important in the Muppets. Remember the story about Jerry Juhl in the room of Fraggle puppets? He said to the other writer with him: "Without us, these are just socks!"

Forget the search for the next American Idol. We need the search for the next "Jerry Juhl". Steve, Eric and Bill are great performers, but there's got to be an equally great team of writers behind the scenes.

Convincing John
There is one Muppet writer that i really belive wants the Muppets to be back to the way they where. That man is Jim Lewis, and I think we can see his thinking of how the Muppets should be playing out in the muppets.com website and on youtube. Studio DC was not wrote by Jim, but it was co produced by him and Kert Thatcher.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Unfortunately, it seems Disney is only heavily focussing on the tweenager market. And I don't just mean muppets, either. it would be great to actually work with the bloomin' original characters they've had since the beginning, without reducing them to Dora clones....
I've noticed that trend too. It's like affecting the over all tone of everything Disney now days. And it's in all their divisions.

Heck, if they wanted, why not create an all-new MMC with Miley, Zack & Cody, and all the rest of the Disney Tweens as the performers and the Sensational Six as both hosts and as stars in cartoon segments for the show? This way, fans of the six and fans of the Tweens can both be gratified.
Naaaah! I think they should use all new people for something like that. They could make more of a gold mind then the one they already have if thee was a new MMC seeing what happened to the stars of the last one.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Naaaah! I think they should use all new people for something like that. They could make more of a gold mind then the one they already have if thee was a new MMC seeing what happened to the stars of the last one.
Take it easy. XD It was a mere suggestion. ^_^

theprawncracker

Reaction score
dwayne1115 said:
Kert Thatcher
Kirk Thatcher* :halo:

And CJ, quite honestly I agree with everything you've said. I'm glad you brought out that Jerry Juhl quote.

And Dwayne, I also agree with you. Jim Lewis does have a good grasp on things, but it takes a talented team of writers--not just one man (no matter how good he may be) to really make things work--especially if we're wanting a new TV series. One writer can't handle the whole run of the show on his own.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Kirk Thatcher* :halo:

And CJ, quite honestly I agree with everything you've said. I'm glad you brought out that Jerry Juhl quote.

And Dwayne, I also agree with you. Jim Lewis does have a good grasp on things, but it takes a talented team of writers--not just one man (no matter how good he may be) to really make things work--especially if we're wanting a new TV series. One writer can't handle the whole run of the show on his own.
Thanks for corecting me on that, I don't know how many times i have goten his name wrong.

I also think your right about needing more then one writer, but if I had my pick I would put Thatcher as the dierctor and Someone else help with the writeing. Maybe Joey Mansino and i know i got his name wrong.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Jim Lewis does have a good grasp on things, but it takes a talented team of writers--not just one man (no matter how good he may be) to really make things work--especially if we're wanting a new TV series. One writer can't handle the whole run of the show on his own.
Mark Evanier almost pulled it off, but I get what you mean.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
But serously! I've been thinking about this for quite a while now! And it' so true! They could easily put a new Mouse Club on TV.
And before airing it, they could air reruns of the classic ones that've came before! Add in Zorro and we have two-thirds of Vault Disney back!