Caped Crusader: New Batman Film Rumors

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hmmm..well, kids that end up shooting others usually have bigger troubles than the fact that they played shooting video games. I played DOOM since I was 12 years old and I did not grow up to be a murderer. My vote goes for the lack of understanding and help from others that the child maybe did not get that they in place of that support filled with time playing video games:sympathy:...But meh, back on topic...:smile:
There have been older people (sometimes in their late teens, early 20's) who have acted that GTA is real... my understanding is that if you're not mature or intellegent enough to distinguish between reality and fiction, you shouldn't be exposed to any fiction. And if you're still having that conflict at an older age, you need professional help.

But back on the subject... I really see a "Batman Begins" style Robin as a younger boy who's blood thirsty for revenge (similar to Batman) after the murder of his parents, and winds u[p coming very close to getting himself killed until batman intervenes and takes him under his wing. Though, i'd prefer NO Robin.

As for Batgirl... well, if you look at the Dark Knight closely, Gordon's wife is holding 2 children closely. You only see the boy... but you just can make the girl out. She's the one that becomes Batgirl, right? Unless the next film takes place 10 years or so in the future, BatGirl wouldn't even fit in.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
my understanding is that if you're not mature or intellegent enough to distinguish between reality and fiction, you shouldn't be exposed to any fiction. And if you're still having that conflict at an older age, you need professional help.
Right on the money. The problem is that because such people exist, parents complain, and so, as a result, even people who do know said difference often have to suffer because of the idiocy of some people.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Maybe it's not so much that all those people thought the games were real as it is they were just play acting like it was real and something went wrong? It happens a lot in places like colleges mixed with a lot of drinking IMHO :frown:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Maybe it's not so much that all those people thought the games were real as it is they were just play acting like it was real and something went wrong?
And this is where play acting goes too far (take for example, people performing pro wrestling moves on each could result in serious injury or even death).
It happens a lot in places like colleges mixed with a lot of drinking IMHO :frown:
And this is why I don't drink.

Teheheman

Reaction score
I don't drink either, but I encourage all women to drink til I look good, just don't get alcohol poisoning :wink:

Daniel

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Ratner Talks Batman

I found this little tidbit at joblo.com, concerning director Brett Ratner (Rush Hour, Red Dragon) and the future of the franchise:

"As a kid, Batman was my thing...I'm a little jealous that I didn't get to direct it, although Nolan did a great job. But there are so many characters in the Batman series, so many characters that I love, that the opportunities for spinoffs are endless."

Ratner thinks that the first one should be a film just about the Joker, exploring his (possible) origins as the Red Hood. "That would be really cool...Heath was great...But the Joker is a great villain. That's why Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger had so much to work with. And I think there will be another actor who can interpret that. It would be great to see Robert Downey Jr. as the Joker, for instance."

:smirk:

Okay...Ratner says there are so many characters in Batman's universe, and that "spinoffs" are endless...and he wants to start with the Joker?

Of course this is a fanboy director talking of a dream project, but still...

I'm not much of a Ratner fan. His track record:

Money Talks (with Chris Tucker and Charlie Sheen)

The Rush Hour films

The Family Man (with Nicolas Cage)

Red Dragon (the prequel to The Silence of the Lambs & Hannibal, which was already made by Michael Mann as Manhunter, but with a much smaller-name cast and budget)

X-Men: the Last Stand

Ratner is currently in production on a remake of The Incredible Shrinking Man starring Eddie Murphy. Wonder how much of Richard Matheson's novel, or the 1957 film will be retained...aside from the shrinking man, of course, lol.

Redsonga

Reaction score
*crosses fingers in direction of 3rd X-Men movie*
Good gravy, anything but a Batman movie like that, please! :frown:

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Of course, Downey is a fantastic actor. I'd like to see him as a Bat villain...maybe The Mad Hatter?

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
According to imdb (I know, I know...) Ratner is slated to direct Mr. S. - My Life with Frank Sinatra, starring Chris Tucker.

This is based on the book of the same name by George Jacobs, who was Sinatra's long-time valet.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I found this little tidbit at joblo.com, concerning director Brett Ratner (Rush Hour, Red Dragon) and the future of the franchise:

"As a kid, Batman was my thing...I'm a little jealous that I didn't get to direct it, although Nolan did a great job. But there are so many characters in the Batman series, so many characters that I love, that the opportunities for spinoffs are endless."

Ratner thinks that the first one should be a film just about the Joker, exploring his (possible) origins as the Red Hood. "That would be really cool...Heath was great...But the Joker is a great villain. That's why Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger had so much to work with. And I think there will be another actor who can interpret that. It would be great to see Robert Downey Jr. as the Joker, for instance." :smirk: Okay...Ratner says there are so many characters in Batman's universe, and that "spinoffs" are endless...and he wants to start with the Joker?
I have always thought that an Arkham Asylum movie would be ideal. You could potentially get everybody in there, but maybe just a few per movie. No actual Batman needed for that. The focus could be on the criminals and the Joker has always been the lightning rod for all of them so he'd need to be in it. There is such a video game in the works and it looks fantastic!

I don't think the fine performances from Ledger or Nicholson warrant retiring the Joker from film, but I am in favor of allowing Nolan's Joker fade from view in his pictures. There are creative ways around it, but I don’t think enough of the public would accept a recast in this telling.

One thing I am not in favor of is telling too much about the Joker's true origins. The bulk of that should always remain a mystery. Not everything needs to be spelled out in black and white for the masses. The imagination is much better than what could be devised by any screenwriter. As much as I enjoyed Hannibal Rising, not even the book's author could provide a backstory worthy of such a frightening legacy - and he did come up with some creepy stuff!