Classic Muppets filming NBC Christmas special

MJTaylor

Reaction score
I have to say I am exicted about this new special. If it comes on here I shall be watching.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
No doubt someone will upload it to YouTube after it has aired.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Hang on, you haven't seen...! Aww...You really should, it's a very powerful and moving movie, and gives the Muppets a whole new texture (having seen them in the Kermit-less universe). And I think you'd like it. I fought and fought it, until I actually saw it and realised it kinda made sense.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
boy you must not like the other Muppet movies and allot of the Muppet show then lol:concern:
Most of them have happiness mixed in with the sadness, whereas VMX was--in my estimation--a good chunk of sadness without the happiness.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Like everyone is saying here! It's just so awesome that Paul Williams is doing the music! And I am another IAVMMCM and it carries the spirit of the Muppets IMO and is one of the best special they have done, too. And that dose not mean I don't still like the older ones.

I guess Pooh is going to post the nest post because if you noticed he has posted in like every other posts in this thread as well as many others.:stick_out_tongue:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
You're right...I just hope the film keeps within the Muppet spirit. I mean, if Dan Didio can have a vision to return the Titans back to what made them marketable in the first place (along with Gar & Rae and Dick & Kori teaming together again), then perhaps, The Muppets are in for a similar kick-butt comeback, too! XD

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Most of them have happiness mixed in with the sadness, whereas VMX was--in my estimation--a good chunk of sadness without the happiness.
That estimation is not a very good one, really. Most of VMX is the same inspired silliness that made the Muppets famous. Even in the "alternate universe" there's still some very funny moments--such as Gonzo's dancing brick, Animal river-dancing, and Johnny Fiama bartending. You really should see this movie before assuming anything. You know what they say when you assume things...

And there has been sadness in most of the Muppet movies! TMM had someone trying to kill Kermit, GMC had Miss Piggy in jail, MTM had the Muppets going their seperate ways ("Saying Goodbye" is the saddest Muppet song ever! ! !), MFC had Kermit worrying about Miss Piggy's safety, MCC killed Tiny Tim (albeit only in the preventable future), MTI Jim's life is pretty pathetic, MFS Gonzo hugging Kermit and saying, "You're the best friend any alien could have" and Kermit responding, "We... We love you Gonzo" is some of the most heart-wrenching stuff out there!

So don't tell me that Muppets and sadness don't mix well, because it's an old plot idea that works very well.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
That estimation is not a very good one, really. Most of VMX is the same inspired silliness that made the Muppets famous. Even in the "alternate universe" there's still some very funny moments--such as Gonzo's dancing brick, Animal river-dancing, and Johnny Fiama bartending. You really should see this movie before assuming anything. You know what they say when you assume things...

And there has been sadness in most of the Muppet movies! TMM had someone trying to kill Kermit, GMC had Miss Piggy in jail, MTM had the Muppets going their seperate ways ("Saying Goodbye" is the saddest Muppet song ever! ! !), MFC had Kermit worrying about Miss Piggy's safety, MCC killed Tiny Tim (albeit only in the preventable future), MTI Jim's life is pretty pathetic, MFS Gonzo hugging Kermit and saying, "You're the best friend any alien could have" and Kermit responding, "We... We love you Gonzo" is some of the most heart-wrenching stuff out there!

So don't tell me that Muppets and sadness don't mix well, because it's an old plot idea that works very well.
I agree. MCC is the most somber of Muppet projects ever. If not for the music it would have had a much different feel to it. One More Step Till Christmas, It Feels Like Christmas, Thankful Heart and even Scrooge helped balance out the sadder moments and the When Love Is Gone weepy music.

I did enjoy VMX more but it didn't have enough music to balance it out. It desperately needed more and should have shown more of the pageant! What was with that? And where did the Mel Brooks snowman go? I wanted to see more of him. I also would have liked the angels to have some muppety coworkers. That would have made more sense. In all it seemed very Muppety to me. Just needed an extra dose of holiday cheer. :smile:

This current project seems to be 45 minutes of music, Muppets and Christmas tied together with a Santa plot framework. It doens't appear to have much story, but the Muppets are best these days when they're goofing around instead of learning lines. :wink:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
To each their own. I agree with Jamie in that The Muppets are at their best these days when they're messing around.