On Writing Fan Fiction (Discussion)

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
But it really might undercut the story being really their own, so it would be a hollow victory IMHO :frown:.
There is nothing worst that being liked for something your wrote that is not truly something that comes from the heart of yourself...
AGREED. Personally, stories just sort of come to me and DEMAND to be written, and it just feels so empty if I change it for anyone but me. If the story GROWS from something someone says, well, that's one thing. But CHANGING it-- rerouting the plot, switching scenes, changing a certain character's traits or appearance or name... That just takes away all the pleasure. You can't please everyone, and when it comes to writing, it's SO important to please YOURSELF. Because if you can't stand writing, then what's the point?

Redsonga said:
I learned that the hard way when I started writing online at fourteen...
<HUGS!> It's a tough lesson to learn, but sometimes it's one that each person has to learn for him/herself.

On a random note, it feels so odd that I see fourteen as being so young to start posting stories, but I was only sixteen when I started. Funny how time and age can seem so warped sometimes. :stick_out_tongue:

Redsonga

Reaction score
AGREED. Personally, stories just sort of come to me and DEMAND to be written, and it just feels so empty if I change it for anyone but me. If the story GROWS from something someone says, well, that's one thing. But CHANGING it-- rerouting the plot, switching scenes, changing a certain character's traits or appearance or name... That just takes away all the pleasure. You can't please everyone, and when it comes to writing, it's SO important to please YOURSELF. Because if you can't stand writing, then what's the point?

<HUGS!> It's a tough lesson to learn, but sometimes it's one that each person has to learn for him/herself.

On a random note, it feels so odd that I see fourteen as being so young to start posting stories, but I was only sixteen when I started. Funny how time and age can seem so warped sometimes. :stick_out_tongue:
Well, it's been over ten years for me, so it really has been a long time. I'm just glad I predate chat speak...We were the first group of teenagers to be on the internet after all, it was very exciting building up the roots of certain fandoms...It really has changed and gotten so big since then:eek:...

Redsonga

Reaction score
And we're continuing to build the roots nowadays when new fans enter fandoms.
Well, yes, but that is more like building upon the roots..the roots themselves were made by a handful of people to start with :smile:...I was around the roots of the Sailor Moon fandom for example, my poem was one of the first SM things on FF.net...

Yva Minstrel

Reaction score
First of all, Yva, I MUST stand up and applaud every last word you said-- ESPECIALLY about writing what YOU want to write.
~bows humbly and blushes~ :flirt:

Glad you liked what I wrote. I was a bit nervous that I was getting too verbose with it, but I tend to discuss with examples as that offers more clarification than going batty with ideas, which can happen with me. :batty:

At any rate, I am an active original character writer, so I do feel the need in clarifying why I write them. I also love to develop my own characters in fan fiction pieces. Only writing canon characters sometimes has a way of going stagnant with me, so I have to have other characters to liven things up. Besides that, in the fandoms that I have written for (Touched by an Angel and Quantum Leap, to name only two), the necessity of having original characters is present. The thing is, it's a lot more fun for me, as a writer, to write some of my own thought out characters instead of just using canon characters. I guess with the muppets it's rather easy to just use canon characters because of the crop of wonderful characters, but with other stuff, which I write, I like to write my own characters.

But, I have been told countless times that it's not about how many reviews one gets, but how much joy one finds in writing, so for me it's a lesson that was learned over time. :smile:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I guess with the muppets it's rather easy to just use canon characters because of the crop of wonderful characters, but with other stuff, which I write, I like to write my own characters.
Well, though I'm not fond of writing OCs, I DO like writing more third-tier characters that never got a lot of "screen time". They're practically OCs, considering how undeveloped they are. That way, I get the best of both worlds, I get to develop characters that don't normally get it and they are canon so I don't have to come up with my own. :stick_out_tongue:

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Huh. I've never really looked at third-tier characters that way. When I do try to write them, I'm usually paranoid about getting their "established" character right, which is difficult at best to do, since their established character isn't very established. I suppose my only real attempt at that was Miss Mousey in Flippersteps... People seemed to respond well. <Shrug> Anyway, I personally tend to be more comfortable bringing in OC's, because if it's my character, I know I'm right. :stick_out_tongue: But like we said, OC's can present their own challenges for readers... So I suppose it's a matter of perspective and opinion.

To be honest, though, I suddenly feel so inexperienced as a writer. I've only really been writing for a little more than three years! :coy:

Yva Minstrel

Reaction score
To be honest, though, I suddenly feel so inexperienced as a writer. I've only really been writing for a little more than three years! :coy:
Balderdash! I started reading one of your stories and you are anything but 'inexperienced'. Come on, don't sell yourself short. I didn't rattle off how many years I have been writing to make people feel that way.

That was never my intention.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Balderdash! I started reading one of your stories and you are anything but 'inexperienced'.
<Blushy> Aw, thank ye! And also... that's a fun word there.

And I do know it wasn't your intention. I just started thinking about it, and realized it's only been a little more than three years... and doesn't even feel that long! :stick_out_tongue:

Redsonga

Reaction score
<Blushy> Aw, thank ye! And also... that's a fun word there.

And I do know it wasn't your intention. I just started thinking about it, and realized it's only been a little more than three years... and doesn't even feel that long! :stick_out_tongue:
Well, I won't say you're inexperienced, but I will say that you do get better the longer you write..Or at least you learn more things. I don't know if that is for better or worst :coy:

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Yva Minstrel said:
But, I have been told countless times that it's not about how many reviews one gets, but how much joy one finds in writing, so for me it's a lesson that was learned over time.
What a WONDERFUL sentiment, Yva! That's just awesome right there--and very, very true.