MC Community: Where is it going?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Tolerance, Understanding and Compassion

This is one of the nicer active forums on the web. I don't post much anywhere else. When I became an active forum member many people were unkind to me. Part of that was my own presumptuous “newbyness” but a couple of longtime MCers were downright hostile to newcomers. Some of the less hospitable people left for other communities while others actually became pals. You never know. Initial irritants are not always predictors of future friendship. Mutual forgiveness is key. :wisdom:

My irritation seems to stem from aggressive posts. Some offenders publish established misinformation as truth. Others post knee-jerk responses without taking the time to digest what they are replying to. Forums will always have passive-aggressive know-everythings and those who are perpetually negative. Everyone can fall victim to that at times; some more than others. :sympathy:

There's the tendency for everybody on message boards to shout out our own opinions and want to be heard without actually listening to others. There's also the tendency to flame first instead of offering help to those that might need it. IE- if someone has started a duplicate thread there are constructive ways to remedy the situation. Some members do that while others get downright snarky.

We're all just people with unique personalities and quirks. We all lose patience at times, but it is important to take a pause before hitting the submit button. Forum grudges eventually lead to trouble no matter where one is on the food-chain. I have seen much beloved grudge-holders permanently banned from this and other forums. Actually, Muppet Central is the most open to forgive flamers after a cooling suspension.

So I say to those newer members – WELCOME! And that comes from the heart. You will find that Muppet Central is one of the most accepting sweet places on the web if you haven’t already. That comes with some responsibility from everybody – new and classic members alike! This place has been around for a long time with no end in sight. :excited:

Vic Romano

Reaction score
There's the tendency for everybody on message boards to shout out our own opinions and want to be heard without actually listening to others.
Wow... I never really thought of it that way. I think I'll try apply that more to my own posts from now on.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Breaking my mandatory academic lock-down to add my two cents....

This IS one of the friendlier places I've been, though I've seen other forums that were better regulated sometimes. However, the flame wars I've seen on here, while unfortunate, are nowhere near as bad as I've seen them ... and I go on religious boards where everyone is evil if you're not the poster. I understand that people have a problem with what is being called "negativity" ... but how can one justify this concept that one must smile all the time (I realize no one has said that, but that's how some of the criticisms of "negativity" make me feel) or otherwise be un-Jim-like? The same Jim that made a film called the Cube where a guy goes crazy being tortured in the cell of his own mind? The same Jim that made Dark Crystal, where the good guys never seem to catch a break until the end ... AFTER someone dies? The same Jim that made a Frog unable or unwilling to admit to being in a relationship for no apparent reason? The same Jim that lets Oscar hate everything nice (at least on the surface, depending on the situation) or Boober go on and on about death and destruction? The same Jim that let Gonzo be an outcast for years, with only Camilla and Baby Animal (both low on the totem pole) as friends? The same Jim that conceived a show about dinosaurs that explained that civilization destroyed the most awesome creatures on the planet?

The thing is, those characters are JUST as well-loved as the happy ones. The cast of whatever property is filled with all types of personalities ... even the darker ones ... and they still speak to someone. I've been griped at for having a dark sense of humor ... which is peculiar given some of the characters (even human ones of non-Henson franchises) that these people like. I find it amusing (almost in an Oscar-like way) that Boober can have morbid thoughts ... but when I do....

It's a good thing I learned how to accept being different from the Muppets. I learned that no matter how weird you were, SOMEONE would appreciate you. And even if no one did, you could still get the mental strength to love yourself.

I would love to contribute (I've been thinking about doing a series on Fraggle Rock), but I sometimes fear that if I treated it seriously in the least, I'd be flamebroiled to a crisp. That is NOT how I'd like to spend my Xmas vacation.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I understand that people have a problem with what is being called "negativity" ... but how can one justify this concept that one must smile all the time (I realize no one has said that, but that's how some of the criticisms of "negativity" make me feel) or otherwise be un-Jim-like? The same Jim that made a film called the Cube where a guy goes crazy being tortured in the cell of his own mind? The same Jim that made Dark Crystal, where the good guys never seem to catch a break until the end ... AFTER someone dies? The same Jim that made a Frog unable or unwilling to admit to being in a relationship for no apparent reason? The same Jim that lets Oscar hate everything nice (at least on the surface, depending on the situation) or Boober go on and on about death and destruction? The same Jim that let Gonzo be an outcast for years, with only Camilla and Baby Animal (both low on the totem pole) as friends? The same Jim that conceived a show about dinosaurs that explained that civilization destroyed the most awesome creatures on the planet?

The thing is, those characters are JUST as well-loved as the happy ones. The cast of whatever property is filled with all types of personalities ... even the darker ones ... and they still speak to someone. I've been griped at for having a dark sense of humor ... which is peculiar given some of the characters (even human ones of non-Henson franchises) that these people like. I find it amusing (almost in an Oscar-like way) that Boober can have morbid thoughts ... but when I do....

It's a good thing I learned how to accept being different from the Muppets. I learned that no matter how weird you were, SOMEONE would appreciate you. And even if no one did, you could still get the mental strength to love yourself.
Wow, that's a good point, that really is. The Muppets had arguments too, that's part of what made them real. :smile:

And feel free to contribute!

rtgentry

Reaction score
I think that if you dont want to read the religous threads , then dont , MC doesnt force you to read them. There are alot of threads here I dont read just cause it has nothing to do with me , But I am not trying to censor or restrict them from being here due to my beliefs and or interests.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Right exactly, I wouldn't censor a thread by an athiest or member of another religion. I would never do that. And I hope it wouldn't be done to me. :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
About negativity - I am not speaking of conflicting or dark points of view, I'm speaking of the few chronic naysayers that are present on every forum. The Muppets and their fans have had a bumpy road, but that doesn’t justify shooting down every opportunity for happiness. :smile:

Many have likened the variety of forum members to the Muppet family since the beginning. It’s a fitting comparison. The odd Muppet characters like Gonzo, Boober and Oscar tend to be among my favorites. However, when posting at Muppet Central it is important to have something to add to the discussion instead of deflating the joy of others. :grouchy:

Dark has many shades, but chronic negativity about the Muppets’ future and other forum members contradicts forum guidelines. We don’t all need to have plastic rainbows coming out of our yin-yangs, but there doesn’t need to be a constant “peeing in the cornflakes” of others. :eek:

*cornflakes reference originated by member Resident Lilly*

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I understand that people have a problem with what is being called "negativity" ... but how can one justify this concept that one must smile all the time
It's not about the simpleness of negativity, it's the way it's handled. We can't all escape negativity, but a better way for folks to post is to be constructive and not deflating.

As far as the projects you listed, some of them were torturous tales, but at the end you and I learned something. We followed a path in some characters' lives and discovered something new about ourselves at the end.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
There's the tendency for everybody on message boards to shout out our own opinions and want to be heard without actually listening to others.
Did you say something?

CHOCOLATE IS AWESOME!

:smile:

I'm being silly, but your posts make total sense and I hope they are understood and heeded.

Redsonga

Reaction score
It's not about the simpleness of negativity, it's the way it's handled. We can't all escape negativity, but a better way for folks to post is to be constructive and not deflating.
Still, I think if one or two posts is all it takes to deflate your happiness I don't know if I would exactly call that having true faith in good things happening:sympathy:...I know when I am truly happy about something my friends could say the world is coming to an end tomorrow and my bubble would still not pop :excited: