SST 40th Anniversary Event

AlastairCookie

Reaction score
Who were the other people on the panel, besides Bob, Sonia, Carroll, Frank, Kevin, Marty, and Fran? Also, does anyone remember what the rest of Oscar & Elmo's responses were to the questionaire?

StreetScenes

Reaction score
Who were the other people on the panel, besides Bob, Sonia, Carroll, Frank, Kevin, Marty, and Fran? Also, does anyone remember what the rest of Oscar & Elmo's responses were to the questionaire?
tony geiss was there. um, they were fairly predictable answers--elmo was all happy and cute and the audience would go awww and he would go "aw, come on, what did you expect?" and oscar would have some answer like: you don't want to know...

kevin was playing elmo straight, not to adults like he often does when he's off the street, and caroll was playing oscar to adults, flirting with maria and stuff. but actually, i thought it would have been funnier the other way around, with oscar being his classic self and elmo playing to adults. i thought marty's improv was the funniest.

AlastairCookie

Reaction score
Sesame visit...

I then got to talk with Caroll Spinney for a little bit before he left for home and he graciously signed my copy of "Sesame Street Unpaved". I didn't get to talk to Jerry Nelson, but when he came into the studio, he was carrying on oxygen tank. When I saw him and he saw me, he smiled and said hello, which was a great thing to hear from him. He obviously wasn't going to let his health get the best of him. When they were shooting scenes with The Count, Jerry was unable to manipulate the puppet, but he still did the voice beautifully while Victor Yerrid (I think that's who it was) worked the puppet. Leslie Carrera came up to me with Abby Cadabby in her arms and just blew me away with how she approached me. When I told her about me wanting to get into puppetry, Abby listened to me do a different range of voices that I could do. Leslie then signed my "Unpaved" bookand told me about her work with the Muppets. She mentioned that she was uncomfortable with taking over Morton the Elephant in season two of "The Wubbulous World of Dr. Seuss", as well as doing work for "Muppets Tonight".

There were other performers at the studio that day, including David Rudmin and Pam Arciero, in which Marty told me that a lot of people have trouble pronouncing her last name.

The visit lasted for two and a half hours, until our guiding lady had to get us to leave right away wihout saying goodbye to Marty before we could since other visiters were coming in. All in all, it was the best day of my life.

Lately I've been keeping in touch with Marty and showing him some puppet videos that I made on youtube.com. He said that so far he loves him and mentioned that I had a lot of talent. Hopefully this means beng able to join his Muppet family in the future.
Wow...didn't realize Jerry was that sick :sympathy:...I thought he was doing better. That is wonderful that Marty took you in like that, he's definitely the kindest of all of the muppeteers and I'm thrilled that he got married to Annie! Thanks for posting your sesame visit. Can you send us the link to your Youtube videos? Keep on believing and hopefully your puppetry dreams will come true! Also, If you're interested, there's this really cool Puppetry workshop this summer in Ireland through NYU...it might be good for you if you want, I can message you with more details :wisdom:

TravelTravel

Reaction score
Bob McGrath - Music Education

out of all of the ss gang, bob does the most work with teachers. (though they didn't let him talk about it at the wpu teacher workshop...) i know he frequently does workshops focused on music education, and he mentioned that he had just done one a few days ago. but i can never find these either. he doesn't publicize them on his website or anything. i guess it's up to the group that books him to do publicity, but i search online fairly regularly and i never find anything until after the event. sigh.
Indeed Bob McGrath is still active and a staunch supporter of music in early childhood education. Here's an article about Bob that we published on Marching.com earlier this year. He rode and sang on the Sesame Street float in the Rose Parade.

http://www.marching.com/spotlight/bob-mcgrath-inspires-on-sesame-street/

StreetScenes

Reaction score
Indeed Bob McGrath is still active and a staunch supporter of music in early childhood education. Here's an article about Bob that we published on Marching.com earlier this year. He rode and sang on the Sesame Street float in the Rose Parade.

http://www.marching.com/spotlight/bob-mcgrath-inspires-on-sesame-street/
wow, that's a really nice article. i think that's the best one i've seen on him. it makes sense for the music magazine to be the one to appreciate the significance of bob's role in the show and his work outside of it.