SST General Store?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
This is purely speculation, but maybe the brand was just too narrow and didn't bring in enough revenue. Even the Disney stores have been in danger of closing from time to time.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This is purely speculation, but maybe the brand was just too narrow and didn't bring in enough revenue. Even the Disney stores have been in danger of closing from time to time.
What do you mean in danger? I keep seeing them close left and right. And this is during the high sales of HSM and Pirates stuff. Of course, the Ratatoullie stuff didn't go over....

Anyway, years and years ago, I went to this Mall I've never been to in my life, and I clearly was never able to go again. I saw the SS store, but I didn't go in because I thought it was like Gymboree or Children's place and only carried SS kid's clothes. I never went in, and I've always regretted it.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
What do you mean in danger? I keep seeing them close left and right. And this is during the high sales of HSM and Pirates stuff. Of course, the Ratatoullie stuff didn't go over....

Anyway, years and years ago, I went to this Mall I've never been to in my life, and I clearly was never able to go again. I saw the SS store, but I didn't go in because I thought it was like Gymboree or Children's place and only carried SS kid's clothes. I never went in, and I've always regretted it.
Flagship stores are tough in general. The focus of business of that sort has changed for a while but few brands have caught up. The smart strategy is in licensing your brand to established key outlets both in stores and online. I miss the old WB stores. The Disney Store here just closed down a few months ago. Tower Records has been dust for a while and Virgin Megastore is in on life support. The fact that not even Disney could make it work demonstrates the difficulty Sesame Street had. They were smart to quit when they did rather than linger. Many stores tend to give them a section anyway. Still I miss Muppet Stuff and the Sesame Store. :frown:

Drtooth

Reaction score
It is a disappointment... though, to be fair, Disney was pretty much the only one of those stores to focus exclusively on exclusive merchandise (at least lately). Though I tend to think they focus way too much on what's popular. They did recently, at least of last year, had a Disney Studio line that actually had Mickey, Goofy, Donald, and various others on T-shirts and those fake printed canvas things.

That said, I bet if the SS store was still about, it would focus mainly on items you could get anywhere else anyway (unless they did some borrowing from Sesame Place's gift shop) and have few, if any, exclusives.

So, it's a sad thing, really, but you can find SS stuff virtually everywhere, even adult clothing.

zns

Reaction score
I'm surprised that the Muppet Wiki dosn't have any info about this place. We should try to find photos of that place as well as the original Muppet Stuff boutique. :wink: