Your Thoughts: Letters to Santa Teaser On-line

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The only way I can think to explain it is even Bert and Ernie bought each other their presents rather than waiting for Santa. Because they were intended to be a bit more grown up than say Big Bird, who waited for Santa. The Muppet Show characters are more like Bert and Ernie than Big Bird in that way.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The only way I can think to explain it is even Bert and Ernie bought each other their presents rather than waiting for Santa. Because they were intended to be a bit more grown up than say Big Bird, who waited for Santa. The Muppet Show characters are more like Bert and Ernie than Big Bird in that way.
I get you. That was my first thought at this pitch. We'll just have to see. I have always found the Muppet Show gang to be for a mature audience (while not alienating younger viewers). That's why Kermit's Swamp Years still bothers me. I still feel the script was mostly generic kid-vid fare with a few Muppety moments mixed in. I think Kermit's better than that. With the exception of the Santa plot everything else here seems to be on the mark. :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I get you. That was my first thought at this pitch. We'll just have to see. I have always found the Muppet Show gang to be for a mature audience (while not alienating younger viewers). That's why Kermit's Swamp Years still bothers me. I still feel the script was mostly generic kid-vid fare with a few Muppety moments mixed in. I think Kermit's better than that. With the exception of the Santa plot everything else here seems to be on the mark. :smile:
Yeah definitely. :smile: And it is wrong to assume something based on isolated clips either way. We really need to see the whole thing in context. In the end, it's fine if some people like it and if some people don't. :smile:

theprawncracker

Reaction score
But I can't see Kermit being the one to write his own letter like it's the most important part of Christmas.
I agree with everything you've been saying, heralde, I just had to nit-pick at this. I don't mean this mean spirited in any way, I just don't think it's been revealed that Kermit, or any of the Muppets, wrote letters to Santa. In fact, the only letter we saw them mail in the clip was Gonzo handing over Claire's letter (which inadvertantly ends up BACK in his bag... :stick_out_tongue:). I honestly don't think Kermit, Gonzo, and the gang are mailing letters themselves--just making sure some kids whose letters they accidentally intercepted find their way to the man in red.

Now... I'm not saying you're wrong, I just don't see this as kiddy. I see it as mature and responsible. Kermit and the gang are going to get the letters to Santa, not for themselves, but for three innocent children. I really don't think we have to worry about it being to kiddy... In fact, wasn't it stated in one of the Tough Pigs on-set posts that the writers ahd a "late-night" feeling in mind when writing this? I think we can expect good things... but I don't blame you for being cautiously optimistic.

I just don't share your caution. :coy:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I agree with everything you've been saying, heralde, I just had to nit-pick at this. I don't mean this mean spirited in any way, I just don't think it's been revealed that Kermit, or any of the Muppets, wrote letters to Santa. In fact, the only letter we saw them mail in the clip was Gonzo handing over Claire's letter (which inadvertantly ends up BACK in his bag... :stick_out_tongue:). I honestly don't think Kermit, Gonzo, and the gang are mailing letters themselves--just making sure some kids whose letters they accidentally intercepted find their way to the man in red.
No problem, nit picking is fine, hehe. You're right, they were mailing letters for kids, thanks for pointing that out. I guess another thing that struck me as childish is them being shocked that one of their gang didn't believe in Santa. Again the vibe felt like Santa is the most important part of Christmas, as opposed to family and universal spirituality and all.

But I'm fully open to the idea that I'm being too cautious and will wait and see. :smile:

theprawncracker

Reaction score
No problem, nit picking is fine, hehe. You're right, they were mailing letters for kids, thanks for pointing that out. I guess another thing that struck me as childish is them being shocked that one of their gang didn't believe in Santa. Again the vibe felt like Santa is the most important part of Christmas, as opposed to family and universal spirituality and all.

But I'm fully open to the idea that I'm being too cautious and will wait and see. :smile:
Can I nit-pick again? Haha. Something I picked out by watching the NBC.com clips... They cut away just as Santa is opening Claire's letter, and go straight to Claire's apartment... Cue Gonzo: "Well, we figured you might want a little company for the holidays."

Ah HA! Methinks that all Claire asked for was people to spend the holiday with. Thus, sealing the moral of the story, making what Santa represents more important than the jolly fat man himself.

After all... having a penguin in your house at Christmas time is OBVIOUSLY the greatest gift of all. :hungry:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Can I nit-pick again? Haha. Something I picked out by watching the NBC.com clips... They cut away just as Santa is opening Claire's letter, and go straight to Claire's apartment... Cue Gonzo: "Well, we figured you might want a little company for the holidays."

Ah HA! Methinks that all Claire asked for was people to spend the holiday with. Thus, sealing the moral of the story, making what Santa represents more important than the jolly fat man himself.
I get you, that would be great and very appropriate and I hope you're right. :smile:

Honestly, I guess I'm partially just tired of how Christmas has become overly secular. I mean the John Denver Christmas album from years ago mentions the spiritual aspects of Christmas (not just for Christians but for everyone) as well as Santa, while the newer Red and Green album featured pretty much only Santa. That's what I'm concerned with here. But I guess they are trying to appeal to kids in this special. Which isn't a bad thing of course, just not quite the same as the past specials.

Like I said, it may be completely different than I'm concerned with and I'll be very happy to be proven wrong. :smile:

theprawncracker

Reaction score
May I ask how the Red and Green album focussed on Santa primarily? Sure the Mayhem had a couple songs about him... but they sang "Little Saint Nick" on the John Denver album as well--they're just carols. And as for spirituality too... well, on Red and Green you can't tell me Kermit's "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" and Kermit and Piggy's "Red and Green Christmas" don't hit on exactly what the holidays are about--coming together and focussing on the joy of enjoying Christmas with friends and family.

But anyhow! I hope you're proven wrong too! :stick_out_tongue: No offense!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
May I ask how the Red and Green album focussed on Santa primarily? Sure the Mayhem had a couple songs about him... but they sang "Little Saint Nick" on the John Denver album as well--they're just carols. And as for spirituality too... well, on Red and Green you can't tell me Kermit's "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" and Kermit and Piggy's "Red and Green Christmas" don't hit on exactly what the holidays are about--coming together and focussing on the joy of enjoying Christmas with friends and family.
Well I meant was that it was only secular Christmas songs (as good as they are) and nothing spiritual, which the Muppets (and society) weren't afraid to mention in years past. I don't know why we can't have both anymore, that's all.

But anyhow! I hope you're proven wrong too! :stick_out_tongue: No offense!
No no, I hope so too. Though it's not about being right or wrong. Some people like something, others don't. That's that. :smile:

theprawncracker

Reaction score
heralde said:
No no, I hope so too. Though it's not about being right or wrong. Some people like something, others don't. That's that. :smile:
Very true. I just want everyone to enjoy what the Muppets are doing as much as I do. :big_grin: