Rumor: Abby gets own segment

Drtooth

Reaction score
The SST films I can tolerate, the ones on Plaza Sesamo I hate so much. They go on forever!
Oh yeah... I mean some I kinda liked and seemed interesting, but a lot of them... wow... they just took up the whole show.

I still remember one they did on Sesame Street.... I dunno when, but they had these 2 kids correspond by writing letters and the thing figuratively took 3 hours to watch. Almost like they had the experience of waiting for each and every single letter via post...

Still, Sad Flowers was the worst. I used to get so impatient waiting for that one to end...

What were we talking about again?

Oh yeah. Abby's segment. I REALLY hope they don't have filmed footage like they do for Elmo's World...

SSLFan

Reaction score
Exclusive!

:search:Here's what I've got:

http://toonbarn.com/2009/08/abbys-flying-fairy-school/

Interesting. It's like a show within a show. In fact it could stand alone as a SEPERATE show, just have like 3 9-minute storys. Anyways, as I've said previously, I'm preserving judgement of the segment until I see it. Who knows, it may be...well, no comment.
:coy:

Drtooth

Reaction score
The fact that they made them look exactly like puppets is a little unnerving. I think SS should have CGI in it, but not at the risk of replacing puppets. On the contrary... I think CGi should be used to aide the puppets.

And somehow, I get the feeling that this was made to be an overseas TV series, much like Play with me Sesame, Elmo's world, and Ernie and Bert's Great Adventures all are. I really think this should be it's own series... but again, PBS wouldn't be looking to give another half hour to SS....

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Okay... I just read this article and now I'm thoroughly confused. They talk about a new "Play With Me Sesame" type show hosted by Abby, and two other new shows starring Cookie Monster and Elmo. I don't know if these are actually supposed to be stand-alone shows, or if they'll be segments within the actual show. But either way I'm very confused.

SSLFan

Reaction score
Okay... I just read this article and now I'm thoroughly confused. They talk about a new "Play With Me Sesame" type show hosted by Abby, and two other new shows starring Cookie Monster and Elmo. I don't know if these are actually supposed to be stand-alone shows, or if they'll be segments within the actual show. But either way I'm very confused.
Gee, they REALLY love making those stand alone segements. But how in the world is Cookie Monster going to carry his own show? And Elmo already HAS Elmo's World, why give him another segment? Why not make it Telly's Backyard or something? Either I'm trying state a point, or I'm just jealous because a certain yellow 8-foot canary is not getting his own segment.:big_grin: Oh well.

And at least Cookie's segment is set to be live-action.

muppets2

Reaction score
yea i dont see how cookie monster could carry out his own show what would be in it? and elmo is already popular enough so i think they should give a show to big bird or oscar just cause they would be better :wisdom::grouchy: or mabye :super:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Gee, they REALLY love making those stand alone segements. But how in the world is Cookie Monster going to carry his own show? And Elmo already HAS Elmo's World, why give him another segment? Why not make it Telly's Backyard or something? Either I'm trying state a point, or I'm just jealous because a certain yellow 8-foot canary is not getting his own segment.:big_grin: Oh well.

This really sticks in my craw. None of these were mentioned as being part of season 40 so far... maybe parts of season 41, or shows for the international market? The show has lost its amazing randomness that made it exactly like television... the "commercials" for numbers and letters.. the short little 3-5 minute muppet pieces... all replaced with shorter little shows and segments. Not really a fan of this, and even a show that's been around 40 years doesn't need to change the format that much.

the thing that bugs me is that they have to CONSTANTLY keep shoving Cookie Monster into showing kids to eat healthy. Really... this from the character that ate a truck once... and foam rubber letters on a regular basis? I see what they're getting at, but you can lead a horse to broccoli, but you can't make it eat. besides, I have a feeling the period of inactivity in kids happens at age 10. I always see kids younger than 10 running around like idiots like they always did when I was a kid.

And wouldn't it be marvelous if Elmo's world was canned for Elmo's Backyard? Effectively killing a mammoth 15 minute segment and replacing it with a tinier, neater 5 minute spot? I agree... make it Telly. Make it Baby Bear. Big Bird and Oscar even... Elmo has a segment already... one that;s been around 10 years and needs to go.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
These arent segments they are shows being pitched to networks and they put the three shows (Abby/Cookie/Elmo) together. So stop thinking that these new things are segments, read the information please.

It was the same way with the Claymation Bert & Ernie, it was originally pitched as a show but failed, so they put it on SS, that might happen with these next season if they aren't picked up! :wisdom:

Drtooth

Reaction score
These arent segments they are shows being pitched to networks and they put the three shows (Abby/Cookie/Elmo) together. So stop thinking that these new things are segments, read the information please.

It was the same way with the Claymation Bert & Ernie, it was originally pitched as a show but failed, so they put it on SS, that might happen with these next season if they aren't picked up! :wisdom:
That's it exactly... the Abby segment IS going to be added to the show for season 40. That was in the press kit, right? As I said, the press kit said NOTHING about those other segments. I do believe they could easily be added in about season 41, as easily as Ernie and Bert's great adventures were. I still think SW needs to work on a Sprout show based around all these segments (I doubt PBS would want it on their original stations).