Concern about Rowlf

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Split up Pepe and Rizzo. Pair Pepe with Scooter and Rowlf with Rizzo. I think there are new comedic moments to be had and it helps introduce the classic characters along side the newer ones. Plus - Muppets do best in pairs. :wink:

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Split up Pepe and Rizzo. Pair Pepe with Scooter and Rowlf with Rizzo. I think there are new comedic moments to be had and it helps introduce the classic characters along side the newer ones. Plus - Muppets do best in pairs. :wink:
Agreed. I think that would be some great pairings AND it would put the unfortunate backgrounders with the prominent front runners--making them front runners too.

I think Pepe and Scooter would be HYSTERICAL! We already know Rowlf and Rizzo are!

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Yeah, because new fans know who Rowlf and Scooter are without introduction. Notice... NOWHERE in the movie was there a point made to really "introduce" the caharacters by name--they were all just there--and for a reason. Because poeple know who they are! People do not know/remember Rowlf and Scooter and the Electric Mayhem--at least not newer fans. And it will take time to reintroduce them (which is why a new show is the perfect new medium for the Muppets). You can't just toss in characters people don't know in a main, starring role and expect people to connect. Rizzo and Pepe already have an established fan-base. Rowlf and Scooter will if they get more screen time in small doses, but you can't just toss them in to the spotlight without reestablisthing them first.
Well how hard is it for people to do a little research on Rowlf and Scooter to learn about these characters? I'm assuming people have access to a computer and can use the internet. Hardcore muppet fans know majority if not all the muppt characters while casual fans know Kermit, Piggy, Animal and maybe Fozzie and Beaker. (Not including Sesame Street or anything else either) I've been reading comments on youtube from all the pre teen/teenage crowd on the Studio DC specials. Most dont know the muppets except maybe two or three names. (I don't know if they care to know them either. I don't know if they care for the muppets, to be honest.)

In my opinion, the only way to get Rowlf, Scooter, and the Electric Mayhem back to how their status was in the 70's and 80's is to push these characters to the front as quick as possible, but not in small doses.

Fans have been getting small doses of these characters for the last 19 years. They'll see Rowlf here, have Janice or Floyd speak a line there, and that's it. How much longer is it going to take? It's kind of like rooting for your favorite sports team who hasn't made the playoffs in 20 years or more, yet fans keep on saying maybe next time. The writers and muppeters have to budge sometime and move to the next step. I still don't know if either party knows how to get there, because if they did, they would have got there sometime back 5 or 10 years ago.

But we shall see.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I've been reading comments on youtube from all the pre teen/teenage crowd on the Studio DC specials. Most dont know the muppets except maybe two or three names. (I don't know if they care to know them either. I don't know if they care for the muppets, to be honest.)
In my experience, there are always two types of kids. The most visible group that only cares about the popular yet superficial teen idol stuff. I'm not surprised they're not up on the Muppets, or care to be. Then there are the less visible group of kids who enjoy things outside of what society tells them they're supposed to like. It's always been that way and will continue to be. I'm still skeptical about about trying to reimagine the Muppets to fit them into the flavor of the month.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Unfortunately, Disney has lived off those types of children as a type of demographic since the end of the Zoog Disney promotion and the axing of Vault Disney.
Well again, it's always been that way. I'm not entirely confident that putting them in this kind of exposure will be beneficial (if the youtube comments by normal Disney fans are any indication). Pre-teens are sometimes too fixed in their ways of what they like (no offence to pre-teens, hehe). It might be better to start younger.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I don't want to see the Muppets undergo this gender specialization that has been mentioned (since it's horribly stereotypical), but I can see how it could be done.

Boys: Gonzo's the daredevil and the one interested in weird stuff. Scooter could return to his geek persona. Pepe and Rizzo ... dirty minds. Kermit and Fozzie are the shy guy and the class clown. Piggy, Annie Sue, (and with any luck, Skeeter) and such would be "just the girlfriends" of the boys.

Girls: The female characters mentioned above are a group (sorority, club, whatever). Their stuff would be slightly more character-driven and less action than the boys' stuff.

It would be disgusting to think about, but the sad thing is, I bet it would work.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I'm not saying I want that. I'm just saying that if Disney is segregating its audience, this would probably be something they try.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I say, as much as I like Pepe and Rizzo, seems like they only really do Pepe and Rizzo moments in the new projects. I would too, love to see them paired with other characters. I'm not saying Bring back Seymore or something... but I think Gonzo and Rizzo were a much stronger duo. I think Pepe can play off any other character besides Rizzo. I'd love for him to hang around Fozzie trying to perfect his act, having Fozzie mimic Pepe's speech patterns, trying to repeat a joke after him.

LamangoNumber2

Reaction score
Well, lets face it, [Oh by the way, this pertains to the thought of Scooter and Rowlf dangeling off the plane]. Would those two really do it? Those two have common sense. Plus, there is the fact, Rowlf with legs disturbs the crud out of me. He's better off as a shaggy brown blob. But when I saw his legs in Rocky Mountain Holiday, they bugged me. Its like they butchered a Fozzie full body puppet and made the fur darker.

Rowlf and Scooter have more sense than that. Plus, The Mayhem Band followed Miss Piggy to the tropics.

I would have enjoyed with Rowlf went with them, since Rowlf is...sorta down with the crazyness, and he's the type of guy who'd be ****** sure [dunno if I can say that...] to make sure a lil girls letters to Saint Nick.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
LamangoNumber2 said:
Well, lets face it, [Oh by the way, this pertains to the thought of Scooter and Rowlf dangeling off the plane]. Would those two really do it? Those two have common sense. Plus, there is the fact, Rowlf with legs disturbs the crud out of me. He's better off as a shaggy brown blob. But when I saw his legs in Rocky Mountain Holiday, they bugged me. Its like they butchered a Fozzie full body puppet and made the fur darker.

Rowlf and Scooter have more sense than that. Plus, The Mayhem Band followed Miss Piggy to the tropics.

I would have enjoyed with Rowlf went with them, since Rowlf is...sorta down with the crazyness, and he's the type of guy who'd be ****** sure [dunno if I can say that...] to make sure a lil girls letters to Saint Nick.
Agreed. Rowlf barely enjoyed (and that's being nice to Rizzo) skateboarding, much less hanging off a plane. I think he'd much rather be cargo than do something like that.

I would see Rowlf avoiding the whole letter drama by going early in the morning, dropping off the letter, and going out for his morning walk. :sympathy: