Your Thoughts: Howard Tubman

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
His name has come up in several other discussions, but I don't think we've ever had a thread solely dedicated to the pig... so here it is.

Howard Tubman (performed by the wonderful Bill Barretta) first appeared on "Muppets Tonight" in 1996. He starred in his own recurring sketch entitled "The Tubmans of Porksmith" (the ongoing saga of America's oldest and fattest family) which featured Howard along with his butler Carter. There were six sketches produced over the two seasons – although I think most (if not all) of them were used as the UK sketches in their respective episodes, so sadly American audiences did not get to see much of Howard back then.

Here is a collection of all six of Howard's appearances in "The Tubmans of Porksmith" on "Muppets Tonights": Volume 1 | Volume 2

Howard reached wider audiences when he was cast as the Muppet Theater's choreographer in "It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie". Howard was shown helping choreograph the theater's dance numbers, and in the world in which Kermit was never born he conducted the Electric Mayhem's river dancing.

So what are people's thoughts on Howard Tubman? What do you like about Howard? Do you think he's a good character or a bad character? Would you like to see more of him? Or do you think we've seen more than enough? Your thoughts...

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have to say, I like those sketches... especially the line "I taped it to the small of your back, sir." As an American Muppet fan, I have only seen him as the stereotypical "gay" choreographer, and not the odd, gluttonous, New England turn of the 19th century stereotype that he was meant to be... and in all honesty, I find that a lot funnier than his role in VMX... not that I didn't like that, mind you.

But a lot of the character's humor lies in his chemistry with the Butler... a lot of Muppets lend their appeal to being comedic duos, not solo characters (Ernie and Bert did sort of transcend that, but the duo sketches are by far the best). If I were to see more of Howard, I would wish to see his man servant right next to him, feeding him straight lines (with clam sauce).

I also like how lyrical the food items are... Yankee Pot Roast... Colonial rum cake... it really adds a nice tang to the jokes (and fat jokes are the oldest jokes in the world, frankly) the way that just obvious and funny sounding foods would never be ab;e to do... almost a Monty Pythonic word play if you will.

I think that I like how they called them "Boarshead Revisited" much better than "The Tubbmans." I don't see why they call it "America's oldest and Fattest family" if all you see is Howard.

But I must also add, it isn't so much I wouldn't want to see these again, so much as I'd rather see segments like The Chef, Muppet Labs, and Pigs in Space reappear first.

LamangoNumber2

Reaction score
Howard's puppet was in Treasure Island. He's older than you think!

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
But a lot of the character's humor lies in his chemistry with the Butler... a lot of Muppets lend their appeal to being comedic duos, not solo characters
I agree 100%. The interaction between Howard and Carter is great - especially Howard's dry and unquestioning delivery to Howard - such as when Howard asks Carter to tear the place apart to find the applebutter.

I have only seen him as the stereotypical "gay" choreographer.
I know his effeminate and somewhat flamboyant personality has caused a stir among Muppet fans that have jumped to conclusions about this Muppet's assumed sexuality. I like the diversity of personality and spirit he brings to the troupe - and don't really think about (or care about) what could or could not be a part of his hypothetical off-camera personal life.

I liked his addition to the Muppet theater staff and thought he made a great choreographer for the theater (surprising they didn't have one before, especially given the amount of dancing the show had).

But I must also add, it isn't so much I wouldn't want to see these again, so much as I'd rather see segments like The Chef, Muppet Labs, and Pigs in Space reappear first.
I know what you mean, and I agree. There are a lot of characters that I would like to see get attention before they revist Howard Tubman. And I would hate to see Howard take screen time away from what I would consider to be the more essential areas (such as Muppet Labs, the Swedish Chef, Fozzie Bear, The Electric Mayhem, Gonzo's stunts, Pigs in Space, etc).

However I feel Howard is one of the few Muppets Tonight characters that would not mind seeing again - his small part in It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie was a treat. There are some characters (like Pepe, Johnny & Sal, Bobo) that have lasted past the series and I really enjoy; and some that have thankfully have not (Bill the Bubble Guy, Mr. Poodlepants). Howard is one that I would not mind seeing show up from time to time (even if just in crowd scenes). I don't think he should be forced into the group just for the sake of it, but if the right part comes along I would not mind seeing this puppet come back to fill it.

I do think he is a great looking puppet (too bad he was never really popular enough for Palisades to do a figure of him) and Bill provides a wonderful performance (as always).

MWoO

Reaction score
Why?

Those sketches were great on TMS but why do we need to revisit them? Was there something left undone with them? jim Henson knew to move on from the old with the Jim Henson Hour. There was only one Muppets Labs sketch I know of and one Swedish Chef segment as well. It's time to move on from the old and find new classics. There is room for old skits, but I don't think they should be priority over new.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I liked his addition to the Muppet theater staff and thought he made a great choreographer for the theater (surprising they didn't have one before, especially given the amount of dancing the show had).
He certainly seemed to have lost a little weight by the time he got to choreographing!

I've never seen all the clips in a row, I'm always surprised by how few there are of things like this and Tales From the Vet. I guess the series never lasted very long, and the sketch wasn't in every episode.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Why?

Those sketches were great on TMS but why do we need to revisit them? Was there something left undone with them? jim Henson knew to move on from the old with the Jim Henson Hour. There was only one Muppets Labs sketch I know of and one Swedish Chef segment as well. It's time to move on from the old and find new classics. There is room for old skits, but I don't think they should be priority over new.
I agree. There are some fans out there that want the Muppets' next television series (whatever and whenever that is) to essentially be a sixth season of The Muppet Show. They want it to use the same cast and the same format as the original Muppet Show. I would much rather have their next television venture be something new and original - yet featuring the cast of Muppets we've all come to know and love (plus develop and add new characters too). It's a tricky balancing act to be fresh and new while still delivering the good ol' fashioned classic Muppets that people would expect to see on a "Muppet" show. I think Muppets Tonight (and even The Jim Henson Hour) struggled somewhat with the balancing act – pushing the characters people were expecting and wanting to see to the back while thrusting brand-new ones to the forefront.

I hope, for example, that Bunsen and Beaker continue to be part of the Muppet troupe and appear in any new show. Now will they appear in the same kind of Muppet Labs segments that they did on the Muppet Show? Probably not, but they should still have some part to play with their inventions and mayhem. Same should apply to the Swedish Chef, Fozzie's comedy act, Gonzo's stunts, Statler & Waldorf's comments, and even the Newsman. And I would also hope that they add new recurring characters and segments as well and continue to build the troupe. I mean Pepe, Bobo, Johnny and Sal are some of the greatest Muppet characters – and we never would have gotten them if the Muppets Tonight writing staff stuck with just using the classics.

So (returning to the topic at hand), if/when the Muppets return to regular TV, I would not be opposed to seeing Howard Tubman be a part of the show (whether it's as a bloated and bumbling turn-of-the-century twit, or as the troupe's flamboyant choreographer, or perhaps in some other role); however I wouldn't want his return deprive audiences from what many would consider to be the more essential Muppets (Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Rizzo, Pepe, Bunsen, Beaker, Statler, Waldorf, Sam, Rowlf, Scooter, the Chef, the Mayhem Band) nor would I want to see him get in the way of new characters being developed either. Basically I wouldn't want Howard (or any Muppet for that matter) to dominate or take over the show.

MWoO

Reaction score
Howard Tubman is the perfect addition to the cast of characters. He fits in perfectly with the muppet show format. If the muppets do another variety show type thing in the future he should absolutely be the dance choreographer. If they go in another direction, I'm not sure what part he should play.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
I'm always surprised by how few there are of things like this and Tales From the Vet. I guess the series never lasted very long, and the sketch wasn't in every episode.
Yeah, it is surprising. Muppets Tonight was just too short-lived I guess (only 22 episodes -- that's less episodes than just one of The Muppet Show's regular season runs of 24 episodes). Plus the format of Muppets Tonight featured fewer skits and recurring segments per episode than the Muppet Show. Muppets Tonight spent more screen time on backstage stories, and many of the on-stage skits were simply longer than the bits on the Muppet Show (leaving less room for packing in and developing recurring sketches).

However of the few recurring segments that Muppets Tonight did feature, I think "The Tubmans of Porksmith" was one of the better ones. Since the comedy of the segment was mostly character-based (playing off Howard and Carter), the skits' premise or gag didn't get stale or worn-out; and I'm sure they could have continued, developed and kept the duo going strong (if only the show hadn't be canceled); whereas I think some of the other recurring bits the show had would have gotten (and possibly did get) old and tied.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Howard Tubman is the perfect addition to the cast of characters. He fits in perfectly with the muppet show format. If the muppets do another variety show type thing in the future he should absolutely be the dance choreographer. If they go in another direction, I'm not sure what part he should play.
Well I hope that singing and dancing (and making people happy) will continue to be part of the Muppets repertoire in the future. So hopefully there will be big musical numbers in a future Muppet show for Howard to choreograph. :wink: But I do agree that he fits in with the group just fine.