Rumor: Avenue Q to end on Broadway

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
The tour is supposedly to end this spring (unless there has been an extension I haven't heard about) and I do know that for a fact. Maybe people are confusing the Broadway Show with the touring one?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The tour is supposedly to end this spring (unless there has been an extension I haven't heard about) and I do know that for a fact. Maybe people are confusing the Broadway Show with the touring one?
I hope you're right. I think maybe the tour and Vegas shows were watering down Q's appeal. When Broadway is the only rout I'm sure buisness will be healthy enough to continue the run.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I hope you're right. I think maybe the tour and Vegas shows were watering down Q's appeal. When Broadway is the only rout I'm sure buisness will be healthy enough to continue the run.
Still if something stays only there many of us would never see certain shows ever :sympathy:.

rickly

Reaction score
Perhaps the radio program you heard was merely someone's speculation.

There are no plans at this time to close the Broadway production of AVENUE Q.

The London production is scheduled to close in March but will likely tour the UK thereafter.

The current American national tour is scheduled to close in May, but a non-Equity (non-union) national tour is planned in the fall.

Rick Lyon
Puppet Designer, AVENUE Q

muppetinsider

Reaction score
There are 13 shows in the line to close, and Avenue Q is in that lineup. I do not see how they would just throw that in the list if it weren't true. Maybe that's news that's gonna hit the people involved last. That's usually the way it works.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score

The London production is scheduled to close in March but will likely tour the UK thereafter.

The current American national tour is scheduled to close in May, but a non-Equity (non-union) national tour is planned in the fall.

Rick Lyon
Thanks for the update. You appear to be the most reliable source on Q. News reports get things wrong all the time.

What can be expected with a non-Equity tour? How will it differ aside from employment structure?

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score

Rick Lyon
Hello Rick Lyon!

So nice to see you on here! I saw the show on Broadway twice and unfortunately, you were out both times. You're the only original cast member that I never got to see. Boo-hoo!

Thanks for setting the record straight, though.

:stick_out_tongue:

Keeermit

Reaction score
Its not true - Avenue Q is not closing - well not according to one of the Broadway Stage Managers who I spoke to today. We can all sleep easy tonight :smile:

Jinx

Reaction score
There are 13 shows in the line to close, and Avenue Q is in that lineup. I do not see how they would just throw that in the list if it weren’t true. Maybe that’s news that’s gonna hit the people involved last. That’s usually the way it works.

I’m curious to know what you base this statement on. It is not terribly uncommon for a show to post a "surprise" closing notice if it is very new, particularly if it has not received positive reviews. (For instance, Glory Days which closed after opening night.).

Thanks, Rick, for chiming in on this! We're honored to have you here!