Your Thoughts: The Diva Code Book

dwayne1115

Reaction score
yea and people are not that excited about books anymore.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Citing lack of Muppet popularity isn't a good answer...

Publishing is so click and drag easy these days with programs like Adobe InDesign. It's like Photoshop for books - a great tool in the right hands but too often put into the hands of Joe Shmoes that no little about layout and design. A little digging into the packet they definitely received from Disney would have provided them with a little more art (like the Loter stuff) to adorn the pages along with a heck of a lot more and nicer photographs. The fact is, Hyperion's Muppet books are a half baked effort.

Again, this is in no way a criticism of the wonderful Jim Lewis. He did his part beautifully but there's not much of a springboard for his words. The treatment of this book is all gimmick and little style thus not inspiring most people to seek out the treasures in his content.

The book really only needed a nifty layout and a few striking graphics. That doesn't really cost money, it shouldn’t be hard and it makes no sense to release a book in this condition (no matter what the property) unless the publisher plans a swift destination in the half-price section. It would be better if they'd pooled their resources into one quality Muppet or character book rather than release them in the state they did. We aren't that desperate anymore for Muppet product as we once were. I’m just disappointed. :sympathy:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah it is a bummer. I do think they're not entirely sure there'd be a market for it. Plus remember, with the recession, everyone's been hit hard.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Yeah it is a bummer. I do think they're not entirely sure there'd be a market for it. Plus remember, with the recession, everyone's been hit hard.
Then why release Diva Code at all? That's what doesn't make sense. Once they decided to release it there's really no excuse for sloppy and cynical execution. I’m getting tired of the economy ate my homework explanation, but we’re likely to hear more of it in all aspects of life.

I took a trip downtown and paid full price for the Diva Code in an actual book store (Frog bless Jim Lewis):smile:. Yet this is the last one I'll buy until/unless Hyperion steps up its game. It wouldn't cost them more to improve these releases with items already at their fingertips.

Plus - I think the Muppets deserve some new photo shoots (and for them to be used in product). But nobody seems to use the many shots they already have!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
This is what I'm going to do and I encourage others here to do the same. My Piggy image resources aren't what they should be but I do have several pictures.

I will clip and edit a few hi-res images into postcard size and allow forum members access to save and print them as bookmarks. I'm shooting for a 4"x6" ratio betwen 120-300 ppi. I'll post links to them here. I like solutions more than problems and invite members to join me in this display of Piggy pride. :smile: :mad:

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Jamie, once again I agree with 95% of what you've said. The book was hilarious and written perfectly in the diva voice of our beloved pig--which, really, shoul dbe the most important part of the book. But... boy does the interior design and organization lack a LOT.

When I first saw the list format Piggy was going with I really liked that it was different from Pepe's in the format... but then it went right back to it. I like this format in a $5-$8 book, but in a hardcover $15 book? I don't really think it's worth it. What, again, was wrong with the format of the amazing, full-color, fully-written Before You Leap? Hasn't that sold NUMEROUS copies? Doesn't it continue to sell?

Again, like Jamie I have absolutely NOTHING wrong with the writing within The Diva Code. In fact... I think that it's some of the best Piggy writing I've seen in ages. Jim Lewis is to be commended for always delivering comedy gold no matter what character--or format--he's handed.

I honestly think that this Piggy book is a step up from Pepe's... hey, at least they're using acutal photos this time, not drawings. I'm hoping that if Hyperion publishes more Muppet books (which this book implies they will) that they use rarer poser photos... I'm SO sick and tired of the same old stock pictures. I'd be ALL for a new photo shoot. I'd put in... $25 towards one! :stick_out_tongue:

I would honestly prefer it if Disney sought out a new publisher other than Hyperion... they seem EXTREMELY restricting... and Jim Lewis and the Muppets deserve better. :smirk:

Though, again, overall it was a great book for Piggy lovers! I reccommend it but hope for better in the future!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Why don't we take this to Jim Lewis he may be able to shed some insider thoughts on this. I think everyone here would like to know why? Why go the cheap way or the half hearted way on the books when everything we have heard from Disney is that they want the Muppets to do there best.

Muppet Loverr

Reaction score
-Im confused...I havent bought this book yet..(BUT I WILL...CUZE PIGGY IS THE REASON I WATCH THE MUPPETS...-if Piggys in not it, i most likey wont remeber to watch it.) Soo it it like Before You Leap? Because i have that book. And I love it.

Im reading everywhere that there are only a few pictures or something...Before you Leap had quite a few - ALOT of pictures...I just thought it would br the same but with Miss Piggy pictures instead-of Kermit.

I am going to buy it no matter what, since it her book. But how many photos are in there...Can someone give me an guessimate, or can you count them on one hand(godforbid)?

Thank You

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Here are some postcard bookmarks

The Diva Code contains 7 black and white Xeroxed Miss Piggy photos aside from the cover image. 5 of these photos are the unflattering calendar poser pics we've seen many times before. The other two are the Guess Who picture and the long pink dress image. There's also the nice little stencil at the bottom of the pages that I mentioned. Trust me that these are the bottom rung of pictures and some of them are even duplicated later in the book.

I don't have a great catalog of Miss Piggy images, but licensors definitely should. They just need to take the ten minutes that I did when pulling up 8 fan-pleasing photos from different eras that were sitting on my hard drive. I just stuck the book logo on them. Some are better than others and there's been minimal cleanup. They are 4x6 and 280 dpi. This is for the Piggy fans out there:

American Diva Postcard
Space Diva Postcard
Chorus Pig Diva Postcard
Treasure Diva Postcard
Biker Diva
Karate Diva
Diet Diva
Wonder Diva

Enjoy, the Pig is worth it.