Muppet Event in Orlando, Florida

anakin

Reaction score
Here is the link.. scroll down a bit to see the event listing.. but here it is anyhow.

http://www.thehistorycenter.org/events/?art=calendar

Thursday, February 5
6:30 p.m.
Jim Henson's Fantastic World Grand Opening
An outdoor celebration inspired by the creator of Kermit, Big Bird, and other beloved characters. Enjoy refreshments, craft stations for children, and other surprises in Heritage Square. Don't miss guest speaker Heather Henson, local puppeteer and daughter of the late Jim Henson, and then head into the museum and be among the first to see the acclaimed exhibition from the Smithsonian. 6:30 p.m. Members free; $25 non-members. Limited capacity. Reservations are on a first-come, first-served basis. Reservations required for Members and non-members and must be made by January 26, 2009, at (407) 836-7010.

Saturday, February 7
6:30 p.m.
SOLD OUT! "Look Both Ways" with Jane Henson
Jane Henson, wife of the late Jim Henson and co-founder of the Muppets, gives a behind-the-scenes look at creating a cultural phenomenon. See rare video clips from the Henson Archives and hear stories about the early days of meeting Jim at a puppet class in college. $15, Members free. Limited capacity. Reservations are on a first-come, first-served basis. Reservations required for Members and non-members and must be made by January 26, 2009, at (407) 836-7010.

ploobis

Reaction score
Hey Gang, :smile:

Has anybody been to this exhibit yet?

The reason I'm asking is because on April 4'th or 5'th me and folks might be going to Orlando, Florida and I would like to know more about what is going to be happening at the exhibit during the month of April.

Does anybody know what puppets are the the exhibit?

Does anybody know if any Henson people or Puppeteers will be their or not?

The link to the exhibit doesn't really have any full details about what puppets will be displayed at the exhibit and who will be there on April.

So if anybody here can give me all the details about the exhibit I would really appreciate it.

Thank you,

Ploobis

jeremyactor

Reaction score
I was fortunate to attend both events and see the exhibit - lots of fun.

I'm crafting a full fledged review - but I'll give the cliffs notes version of the whole package:

The exhibit is fantastic - it features replicas of Manha Mahna (and the 2 original Snowths), an Original Kermit, a Bert and Ernie, a Gobo and Cantus, and replica Watkins and wontkins. Throughout the exhibit are the drawings and doodles/photos we've all seen released in Henson books throughout the years, which was a real treat to see. Lots of storyboards for commercials - Timepeice plays on a loop with the storyboard sketches on splitscreen.

A gift shop lurks in the left and threatens my bank account.

The grand opening was fun - great arts and crafts tables to make your own hand puppets, as well as the ability to make your own Kermit collar and Flippers. A chorus of grade schoolers sang The Muppet Show theme song, and Heather Henson gave some brief remarks before we headed inside.

Jane's event, Look Both Ways, was a treat as well - some rare Sam and Friends clips with her commentary, and she even shared a 60th birthday present that Jim made for her - a video/photo montage set to "In My Life." Many tears in the audience. A short Q&A, and then she showed us Timepiece - something she said Jim was particularily proud of, and said "If Jim was around today - this kind of thing is what he'd want to be doing." In the lobby as we waited, a TV showed The Muppets at Walt Disney world, something she popped in the other day and thought we'd all appreciate seeing (we did).

Overall the events were a lot of fun. Even the most knowledgable Henson fan learned something last night, and many people in the audience (limited to only 100 or so) were hearing about or seeing for the first time.

Plenty of other events to come while it's in Orlando - but even if you can't see the events, the exhibit is well worth the price of admission. Ater May 3 it moves to Seattle, eventually goes to Jackson, MS, Pennsylvania (I forget where), and Chicago (And I know there's another stop or 2, but I can't remember where exactly).

ploobis

Reaction score
I was fortunate to attend both events and see the exhibit - lots of fun.

I'm crafting a full fledged review - but I'll give the cliffs notes version of the whole package:

The exhibit is fantastic - it features replicas of Manha Mahna (and the 2 original Snowths), an Original Kermit, a Bert and Ernie, a Gobo and Cantus, and replica Watkins and wontkins. Throughout the exhibit are the drawings and doodles/photos we've all seen released in Henson books throughout the years, which was a real treat to see. Lots of storyboards for commercials - Timepeice plays on a loop with the storyboard sketches on splitscreen.

A gift shop lurks in the left and threatens my bank account.

The grand opening was fun - great arts and crafts tables to make your own hand puppets, as well as the ability to make your own Kermit collar and Flippers. A chorus of grade schoolers sang The Muppet Show theme song, and Heather Henson gave some brief remarks before we headed inside.

Jane's event, Look Both Ways, was a treat as well - some rare Sam and Friends clips with her commentary, and she even shared a 60th birthday present that Jim made for her - a video/photo montage set to "In My Life." Many tears in the audience. A short Q&A, and then she showed us Timepiece - something she said Jim was particularily proud of, and said "If Jim was around today - this kind of thing is what he'd want to be doing." In the lobby as we waited, a TV showed The Muppets at Walt Disney world, something she popped in the other day and thought we'd all appreciate seeing (we did).

Overall the events were a lot of fun. Even the most knowledgable Henson fan learned something last night, and many people in the audience (limited to only 100 or so) were hearing about or seeing for the first time.

Plenty of other events to come while it's in Orlando - but even if you can't see the events, the exhibit is well worth the price of admission. Ater May 3 it moves to Seattle, eventually goes to Jackson, MS, Pennsylvania (I forget where), and Chicago (And I know there's another stop or 2, but I can't remember where exactly).
How much is the price of the admission for the exhibit?

anakin

Reaction score
Well.. beat me to the punch but that review is spot on!

I was at the opening as well and it was wonderful.. well worth the money. One of the employees of the center told me there were a few more puppets on the way and that a small stage was also being made to do some type of puppet shows but was not clear whether they would be actual Muppet puppets. She did not know what other items were coming but said it would be just a few.

The price for a non member of the center is 25.00.

I was sooooooooo thrilled to see the items on display and was amazed at the conditions and with the doodles and other work that was done by Jim himself. Got my pic with Jane and Heather and I will post them as soon as I take them from my camera to my computer. Jane was a dear heart indeed and Heather was just so full of life. There was no photography allowed in the actual exhibit and while I understand that, I was soooo bummed.

There were some books made up for the event which featured behind the scenes photos of Sesame Street, Muppet Show, and Fraggle Rock but they were in the childrens area and there were already pages pulled loose and that was the first night! Other books there were Worlds of Henson and another I cant remember now. Dont really know why they were in that room but they were not for sale, just for the purposes of the event.

I was so glad to have gone and while I didn't attend the Jane Henson evening, I was familiar with most of that as I had attended MuppetFest. She was just such a nice lady and we talked for about ten minutes or so. My friends and I later ran into her and we all chatted again and also with the people in charge at the center who were very friendly.

If you are able to see this anywhere, definately do so.

ploobis

Reaction score
I saw the exhibit at the Smithsonian last year and I loved it!

ploobis

Reaction score
Heres something you guys should check out.

http://www.sites.si.edu/exhibitations/exhibits/henson/main.htm

Click on the Spanish Guide! You'll see a whole lot of Rare Jim Henson Doodles, Scripts and Pictures in the Spanish Guide!

If you scroll down to page 29 of the Spanish Guide you'll see a picture of Beautiful Day Monster and another Monster and on top of them it has a sign saying "The Muppet Halloween Show!". Could that mean that Jim was planning to produce a Halloween Muppet special in the 60's or 70's? It would have been awesome to see a Muppet Halloween Special featuring the great Muppet Monsters from the 60's & 70's!

jeremyactor

Reaction score
Admission prices are as follows:

Adult $12
Senior (60+) $9
Student with valid ID $9
Child (5-12) $7
Child (4 & under) Free
Members free

Doing the math on all the special events I was attending, it made sense for me to become a member. $75 for my family (me and the Fiancee) - and we're in to the exhibit as much as I want.

We do have to pay for some of the screenings, though. But oh well - it still saves us a buck or two for those!

Jeremy

jeremyactor

Reaction score
Heres something you guys should check out.

http://www.sites.si.edu/exhibitations/exhibits/henson/main.htm

Click on the Spanish Guide! You'll see a whole lot of Rare Jim Henson Doodles, Scripts and Pictures in the Spanish Guide!

If you scroll down to page 29 of the Spanish Guide you'll see a picture of Beautiful Day Monster and another Monster and on top of them it has a sign saying "The Muppet Halloween Show!". Could that mean that Jim was planning to produce a Halloween Muppet special in the 60's or 70's? It would have been awesome to see a Muppet Halloween Special featuring the great Muppet Monsters from the 60's & 70's!
That link isn't working for me- but the spanish guide I picked up in the exhibit had photos of all the art/puppets etc to help correspond with what the descriptions were about. So all that art/doodles/etc is what the exhibit actually is.

The Muppet Halloween show was an un-finished product that would have followed the Muppet Valentine Special, according to the exhibit.

ploobis

Reaction score
That link isn't working for me- but the spanish guide I picked up in the exhibit had photos of all the art/puppets etc to help correspond with what the descriptions were about. So all that art/doodles/etc is what the exhibit actually is.

The Muppet Halloween show was an un-finished product that would have followed the Muppet Valentine Special, according to the exhibit.
That makes sense. Still, Too bad the Halloween special idea never made it.