Muppet Event in Orlando, Florida

anakin

Reaction score
I guess the 25 was for the opening night and since I wasnt a member. Good value on that membership tho. If I lived closer I would have done that and also gone to the viewing of the programs they will show just for the fun of it. I live in Tampa so it's a bit of a trip for me.

I hope someone does an exhibit book that will be avail for the public to buy at some point.

anakin

Reaction score
I was going to post my photos.. anyone know how to do that?
I dont see any way to add them.... thx

talltampa79

Reaction score
I went to the exhibit yesterday and I was expecting more crowds. Thankfully, it was really slow. AAA members get in for ony $6!

It was awesome to see Gobo Fraggle and Cantus in person.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I'm actually going to Orlando the week after next and I'm planning at least two trips to Jim Henson's Fantastic World. One to see the Labyrinth screening introduced by Kathy Mullen and another to go back and tour the exhibit. I'm incredibly excited! :big_grin:

anakin

Reaction score
That's great! I hope you have a safe trip and have a blast!
If you get anywhere near Clearwater Beach/Tampa area look me up.. I live in Clearwater!:smile:

HerryGrail

Reaction score
This exhibit is a lot of fun...I only had an hour to see it last week, but that was plenty of time. I was mostly interested in the actual Muppets on display, and they included an Ernie and Bert; Rowlf; two Fraggles; the original Sir Linit (a commercial is looping nearby, which is great); replicas of Wilkins and Wontkins; Mahna Mahna and the Snowths; two of the big royal Muppets from the early TV specials; and a Kermit (not sure if it's a poser or a puppet). There is a lot of 2-D stuff that may or may not interest you, plus a small gift shop that includes some older merchandise contributed by the Henson family. There's no exhibit catalog but several free pamphlets of different types, and among them there are photos of all the Muppets on display. (Someone has everything posted on Flickr: http://flickr.com/photos/nostri-imago/sets/72157607189566994/show/with/2886691378 )

I had only seen a few Muppets before--an Ernie at the Smithsonian that I barely remember, and a George the Janitor at MGM Studios in Disney World years ago--and I was mostly struck by the size of them...much bigger than I expected. Wilkins and Wontkins are huge! (Gigantic compared to the rubber toy ones, which they also have on display.) Ernie and Bert too. Even though I knew better, I guess I've thought of them in terms of the Questor puppets, including the famous silhouette photograph of Jim Henson sitting eye-to-eye in profile with the Bert. (It seems like all the other Muppeteer photos I have seen show the Muppets at the ends of raised arms.)

They had a Kermit replica in the gift shop, for $250, and the clerk said it was one of the last two of three they had originally. It was interesting to compare its size and features with the real Kermit that was in the next room, but still in view. The replica is smaller, and I don't get why the pupils couldn't have been more dead-on, but he held his own to be sure. The thing that most surprised me about all the real Muppets, especially as someone who has asked a million questions about the pupils on eBay Herry Monster puppets, is that their pupils are remarkably imperfect...hand cut, with little flaws and points that show they were cut with scissors rather than stamped into perfect circles like we all expect our toys' eyes to be. Will it make me a little less obsessive in future? I'm not sure yet!

I didn't buy anything in the gift shop...anything I wanted I already had, thought it might have been nice to finally buy the Kermit and always remember where I got him. What I did do, a little sheepishly, was visit the children's area (which was empty) and partake of the build-you-own-puppet attraction, which was a table covered with paper lunch bags and boxes of pom-poms and pre-cut piece of flat foam. I picked up a glue stick and put together a souvenir that will remind me not only of that wonderful historic exhibit but also of the magical creative energy I felt in its presence.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Saturday, February 7
6:30 p.m.
SOLD OUT! "Look Both Ways" with Jane Henson
Jane Henson, wife of the late Jim Henson and co-founder of the Muppets, gives a behind-the-scenes look at creating a cultural phenomenon. See rare video clips from the Henson Archives and hear stories about the early days of meeting Jim at a puppet class in college. $15, Members free. Limited capacity. Reservations are on a first-come, first-served basis. Reservations required for Members and non-members and must be made by January 26, 2009, at (407) 836-7010.
For those who were there, I have heard on an epsiode of The MuppetCast that they screened Jim Henson's number films from Sesame Street. Was the rare Henson #1 screened?

Voiceroy

Reaction score
More upcoming events related to the Orlando exhibit:

+ http://voiceactors.wordpress.com/2009/03/12/jim-henson-exhibits-in-2009/
Muppets, Music, and Magic: The Jim Henson Legacy through April 5th, 2009 features TV/movie screenings, archival media, and guest speakers such as Cheryl Henson “and other Henson insiders” to be announced. Their March 29th event will include a screening of Muppets From Space with special guest Muppeteer John Kennedy who performed Fozzie Bear.

+ http://orlando.metromix.com/arts-cu...crystal-redux-downtown-orlando/963667/content

The Dark Crystal Redux: "Klakk smaithh Skwee Kreh"* A photographic exhibit
When:
Daily 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. (ends May 10)

Price:
$12 adults, $9 seniors, $7 children (age 12 and younger), free for members and children under 4

Event Phone Number:
407-836-8500

http://www.thehistorycenter.org

Orange County Regional History Center

Neighborhood: Downtown Orlando
65 E. Central Blvd.
Orlando, FL 32801-2401
407-836-8500

The mysterious world of Henson's groundbreaking film The Dark Crystal is captured in 12 character portraits by photographer John Lawrence Jones. By treating the complex world, with its own creatures, environments, and beliefs, as though they were from a long-established, ancient world, Jones provides a window into a magical place from Jim Henson's imagination.

ploobis

Reaction score
I have a question. How far is the Walt Disney World parks from the Orange County History Center?

Me and the family are going to Florida for a week for vacation on April 6th.